.260 Ladder test and result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .260 Ladder test and result

Im guessing ballistics is best section for ladder test talk?

Im no target shooter, really just shoot pests. I want to start shooting them effectively from further and further back, no real reason apart from liking the challenge. From what Ive read and heard from others the 6.5mm is pretty ideal. Not much recoil, enough knock down for pigs and great options in carts. I was looking at 6.5x55 and 6.5x47lap but decided on .260 as it was the only choice in a Varmint Sako (the rifle and model I like).

For load developement/testing on my new .260 Sako 85 SS Varmint I decided to do some ladder testing. I could only get back 300m from where I had to shoot, but thought this should be okay.

140gn Berger VLD's using 2209. I started on minimun load rec by ADI and worked up in 0.5g increments. Chronoed the results. I noticed that it seemed to flatten out around 41.0g. I wanted to do a 2nd test but I was going to run out of time. A few days later I made a few loads at and around 41.0g and went back and tested at 100m next chance I got. 41.0 was def most consistant (least deviation) under chrono and both 3 shot groups were tight (clover leaf). So it was looking good.

I still had another ladder test made up, so this morn I went out to double check. Once again 41.0g was where speed leveled and drop flattened out.

I then went to 100m, I like 100m as its an mrad scope (.05mil adjustments) and targets Im using have 25mm boxes so very easy to work out adjustment (5 clicks per square for those that struggle with maths) Plus we live in Australia and there is no such thing as 100yards here.

I did 3 more 5 shot groups this time 40.5, 41.0 and 41.5 to see where it was at (I made this up form first ladder test). Once again 41.0 was most consitant in speeds (least deviation) but more importantly results were outstanding.

I shot 4 of my 5 shots, I had a phone call so whilst on phone went up to target and took 1st photo. After I got off phone I took my last shot.
    I thought it may have effected it a bit as barrel cooled more (as I was on phone for a few mins, not ideal). Didn’t really seem to matter.

4 shots @ 100m.

5 shots @100m

Bloody nice rifle!

Thanks for those who have previously posted up details here on ladder tests. I would have either had to arse the right load or shot a heap of different loads before working out the sweet spot. Ladder tests really do make life easier, I will be doing them in the future.

Nice going !
    It definitely is a shooter hey!

Originally posted by Vromme" post=39163
    we live in Australia and there is no such thing as 100yards here.
    Don't bet on it!

Most Full bore ranges were built back in the early part of the 20th century & are all set out in yards.

Even the 200 field rifle line at Seaham is actually 200yds not meters (checked with my range finder) but the rest of the range is set out in Meters.......go figure?

Cheers, Mick.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice shooting Vrommev

nice rifle too (almost as good as a tikka :P )

It really is the best way to test out your loads. Others may have a different opinion, but by applying a little science method it makes for an efficient logical and accurate method.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Shooting there mate!

My missus just pointed out that img looks arrogant, I was referring to your shooting not my ladder test theories... just thought I would clarify that one

So how many rounds did it take to do one the ladder tests? Would love to here some more details, What was your extreme spread of velocities? What was your mean velocity and what was your standard deviation?

Nice going there Vrom
    Gota love the 260 with VLD's .

Hmmm its been to long since ive taken the .260 out, just come back from 3 weeks in UK again.
    Yes Ripley tomorrow I think :P

PS Ripley anyone?

Tk0
    Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
    Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
    Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
    Ruger American .22wmr
    BSA SuperSport XL .22
    Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
    Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

• Vromme
      Vromme commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Mack260rem" post=39718
      Nice going there Mark
      Gota love the 260 with VLD's .

Hmmm its been to long since ive taken the .260 out, just come back from 3 weeks in UK again.
      Yes Ripley tomorrow I think :P

PS Ripley anyone?
      And Mark you got 2 in .260 rem now? still got the sporter?
      Tk0
      Hi mate, I think you have mistaken me for someone else (Im not Mark). The VLDs certainly are nice, cant wait to do some longer range stuff. Hope you get to use your .260 again soon. Lets some some photos if possible.

Cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	55763

Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	55764

Hi guys
    Ripley always blows up, I have never been there in anything less than a 8 kt wind .
    And this day the flag was straight out without a ripple in it, must have been 25+
    But I wrote 15 to 20 on the target and tried my best, had a few flyers too.
    1st shot at top left target and ajusted 2 clicks down and went for it.
    Best of a 04.13"
    Tk0
    Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
    Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
    Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
    Ruger American .22wmr
    BSA SuperSport XL .22
    Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
    Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice going vromme

A suggestion past onto me, is with 6.5 pill shooters is to test out to 200 yards. To help determin the load better. When doing a bit of RND

( my 6.5x47 ) is zeroed at 200 yards. Also all my RnD is done at that range for it.

Food for thought
Working...
X