Calibre for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibre for deer

I know it's been covered many many times but that was the old site and can't seem to find anything on here yet so...

I'm booked in for a guided chital hint over Christmas and was wondering what would be the minimum cal for clean kill. I don't have anything in my safe at the moment that I would feel comfortable using so need some suggestions. I know they aren't the biggest of the deer species but I have never hunted them so have no idea. Yes I know just about anything can be killed with the humble .22 and have seen this first hand but humanly i want bigger so not looking for smart arse answers.

Thanks in advance guys look forward to seeing what the replies are

I would suggest anything bigger then a .270 that way if the deer bug does bite you will be Sambar legal

where where you planing on getting this rifle from Christmas isn't that far away?
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment

I thought you blokes up north chased them down on foot, wrestled them to the ground, and got them with a pig sticking knife
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      .243 and up. Just use projectiles designed for medium game not varmints and you'll be sweet.

• Maverick
      Maverick commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=37876
      I thought you blokes up north chased them down on foot, wrestled them to the ground, and got them with a pig sticking knife
      ************************************************** ************************************************** **

Sambar Country, your nearly correct there fella.

I just sat quietly in the bush, the cheeky deer came up and stare at me with an odd look.

Couldn't work out why, until I found out I sitting in deer poo.

Plus, I really smell bad too.

This has only occurred once though.

Thanks...

************************************************** ************************************************** **

• Westy
      Westy commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=37876
      And thats just before Breakfast!!!LOL 6.5x55 using 120 grnsworks real nice on fallow reds and chittel at any range!!!!

Oh god... here we go with potentially more cross border hostilities concerning the pros and cons of ever calibre from 223 above rooted in individual states own game management strategies.

303... kick it old school and the $ you save you can spend of getting any decent heads mounted

Comment

Originally posted by avid1" post=37864
      I know it's been covered many many times but that was the old site and can't seem to find anything on here yet so...

I'm booked in for a guided chital hint over Christmas and was wondering what would be the minimum cal for clean kill. I don't have anything in my safe at the moment that I would feel comfortable using so need some suggestions. I know they aren't the biggest of the deer species but I have never hunted them so have no idea. Yes I know just about anything can be killed with the humble .22 and have seen this first hand but humanly i want bigger so not looking for smart arse answers.

Thanks in advance guys look forward to seeing what the replies are
      Here is this sites first attempt at this kind of thread I think:
      Rifles For Deer

Cheers,
      Andy

(I am a .25-06 fan)

Comment

270, 308 or 30-06. IMHO I would go the 30-06.

Comment

I just bought a savage axis stainless package for under 700 in 270 win for this exact reason. And picked up 5 packs of 20 remmo core lokt 150grain ammo for 115 dollars.

Comment

• WhelanLad
            WhelanLad commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah .270win on the chitals. Not a very big deer so to speak and shots are generally on the longer side of short.

130gr projectiles, Soft points would be fine.

cheers
            WL

Looking for a feed of Chital, head shot, with 223 will be fine. Looking to bag a trophy, or dont think you will get a second chance, 270, 308, 30-06, or similar sized cartridges, straight to the boiler room.

The head shot is great for a "feeder", as they dont have time to release adrenalin, and hence, the :gamey" taste.....that and no wasted meat.

Cheers,

Oddball

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. Think I might use the guides 25-06 for the trophy and might consider using my new 300 blk for a meat deer but that's a whole different topic lol

Comment

• fishphillott
              fishphillott commented
              Editing a comment
              Good luck
              Don't forget the report when you get back to tell us about your trip
          Working...
          X