Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .338 Lapua zero for 1000 yds

Gday all,

I was with a good friend of mine who recently bought a Steyr Mannlicher in .338 Lapua Magnum. rifle is the same as pictured below. My mate fitted a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 on the rifle so it is well equipped to shoot out to 1000 I think....

He has given me the opportunity to take the beast out and attempt to shoot targets at 1000 yds but with my very limited experience I don't know where to start.

We will be using factory Ammo for now and shooting off a steady rest...

My question Is, at what distance should the rifle be zeroed in order to help reach out to 1000yds???? I know its a big task but I have the opportunity to shoot this baby and if I can hit something at 1000 yds ill be happy as a pig in........

We will eventually reload for the rifle but here and now we are just blasting some factory ammo.

Cheers....

300-500m that will give the projectile enough time to stabilise....
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Zero at 100m. Why would you do anything else ?
      Set up a known target at 100m, zero that sucker. The NF 32x NSX scope has 65MOA / 17.7MIL adjustment.

If you are throwing a 300gr Scenar at 2720fps, you are looking at ~28MOA or 8MIL. A 300gr SMK going at 2850fps you are looking about 25MOA / 7MIL. These are not exact values but real close.

Run with a 20MOA rail and you should be sweet. Get a phone ballistic calculator, theres some really good free ones out there. Plug in your values once you have run your projectile thru a chronograph and you are all set. You need bullet BC (ballistic co-efficient, like .768BC) and velocity. You really want weather conditions such as altitude, barro, humidity, temperature and then you can get real close straight off the mark.

Why zero at 100m if you aren't shooting at 100m (assuming op isn't wasting his time and money shooting a 338lap at 100m)

Just seems like lots of extra moa to dial in for a long range green horn, they could easily get confused with more then one turret rotation, less rotation the better.... Assuming the scope has moa turrets like 80% of all nightforce scopes.... Not so much of an issue with mils....

There is also the hi cal/hi bc stabilisation myth that some choose to believe and some don't, I have personally experienced this with 338lap, not huge but noticeable....
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Zero at 100, all my stuff is zeroed at that range 338lm, 308, 303. My 338lm shoots 1/4 " groups at 100. Sometime not all targets are at 1000yards but anywhere inbetween 100 and beyond. Have fun!

Just shoot the thing, see where it hits.....and work it out from there.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for a 100m zero
Working...
X