30-284 Anyone using this wildcat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-284 Anyone using this wildcat

Anyone using this and care to give us the lowdown.

Performance, barrel life, projie powder combo etc?

hey jasmay, just been reading your other thread, without shooting one i would tend to agree with bruce, you'd need to run 215gr .30 cal bullets to match the 7mm's balistics and recoil may influence the shooter more

i have a straight .284 shooting 180's at around 2750fps (not in competition yet) and in a heavy rifle, i've had a few ladies shoot it without issue (no, i don't mean the mudgee WRSC forum shoot crew :P )

steve

Comment

• jasmay
      jasmay commented
      Editing a comment
      I tend to agree steve....

I was thinking of actually setting it up for the 200hybrids.

Currently with my chambering in .308 I am running them at 2800fps, ballisics are imilar to a midrange 7-284, I actually had mark fairbairn shoot a string with it in heavy conditions and he failed to drop a shot, felt it was very similar himself.

So, with my methods of madness, I am wonderign with the bigger cartridge if I couldnt push it up over the 2950 mark and even edge it out past 3000...

be interesting. Recoil, at this stage does not bother me much, I dont knwo why, perhaps I can just ignore it better than others.

TBH i'm finding with the little shooting i'm doing at the moment even my 7-08 shooting 150's seems to be knocking me around,

i'm setting up a 6BR for out to 500 while i get my mo-jo back then i will go back to the .284

steve

Comment

• jasmay
      jasmay commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=35989
      TBH i'm finding with the little shooting i'm doing at the moment even my 7-08 shooting 150's seems to be knocking me around,

i'm setting up a 6BR for out to 500 while i get my mo-jo back then i will go back to the .284

steve
      You big girl :P

If your in the Brissy area and wanna slip down behind the big girl sometime just holla.... Its setup for FTR obviously so lighter gun than most. although my bipod (made by me is 350grams so that lets me get the gun back up to abotu 7.8kgs from memory...

When I shot on the Australian F-open team that went to Canada in 2002, we ended up sharing 3 or 4 rifles for the team shoot. From memory 1 rifle was a Theis action, maddco barrelled 6.5/284, another was a Stolle in 6.5/284 fitted with a maddco and also a Barnard in 6.5/284 fitted with a Maddco. The Theis had a 36x weaver, the stolle a 36x Leupold and the Barnard a 35x leupold. I think Matt Paroz used his own rifle which was a RPA in 6.5x57Imp fitted with a Nightforce BR scope. It was worked out from previous performances which rifles were going the best and they went with using them. Some guys had barrels in there 6.5's that were a bit tired before they started. One shooter had a Nightforce NXS scope that died when the rifle fell over on the grass....he shot a score in the 30's after that happened!(This happened in the lead up shoot to the teams) Also a few of the rifles were in 6mm and the teams event was long range...they had there tongues dragging on the ground! It seemed the logical thing to do by using the rifles that were performing well at the time.
    Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Working...
    X