Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25cal long range bullets

hi all,
    why don't people use anything in 25 caliber for long range shooting/target work?
    is there something specific about being 25cal that isn't suited to it?
    everything is either 224, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 30cal etc.

yep low bc i have a ruger vt set up for long range and wouldn't use it on fallow past 600 the pill i use is 115g berger VLD it has a bc of .466 my 7mm 168g VLD are 617

Comment

I may be wrong but the 25/06 was once top of the heap until it was replaced by the 243 .. blokes argued long and load and eventually the 243 won out for whatever reason . the 25/06 was popular for sniping rabbits and so on out to about 600 yds and was a the darling of america in all the Gun mags reports around the 1960`s.
      25/06 is one of the nicest and most accurate rifles I ever had the pleasure to shoot but not own [dreams and wish lists ]
      In the end its all about BC and better constructed bullets today and the bigger they get the further they go and straight too.
      The limit is how long [over bore] before it becomes unstable and how fast you twist it --- barrel and shoulder wear - the gun barrel and your shoulder.
      6.5 x 55 is nice --so is a swift or a 260 rem.
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

I use 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .257 Roberts. They have a reasonable BC of .453 and work fine for LR.

Here's a great write-up on various .25 calibers
        http://www.chuckhawks.com/25caliber_cartridges.htm

I don't think it's incapable or unsuitable for long range. I think it just never gained traction in Europe because it's imperial and because it's so similar in dimension to 6.5mm and 6mm anyway that it probably wasn't worth the effort.

In the US I figure most of their popular calibers are just whatever the military is using. A lot of the .25 cartridges on that list were just quirky wildcats that some manufacturers adopted along the way.

LR in general has only had a huge surge in popularity since range finders became affordable. When I began shooting (only 6 years ago) hardly anybody was into it. Since most .25 caliber cartridges (with the exception of 25-06) haven't been popular since a lot longer than that, maybe they weren't considered an option. Also the only factory .257 Roberts ammo I could get was 117gr Round Nose with a BC of about negative infinity. The other calibers around were just much more diverse, offering more bullet designs often with higher BCs.

Comment

• CE
          CE commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Manny" post=35750
          I use 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .257 Roberts. They have a reasonable BC of .453 and work fine for LR.

Here's a great write-up on various .25 calibers
          http://www.chuckhawks.com/25caliber_cartridges.htm

I don't think it's incapable or unsuitable for long range. I think it just never gained traction in Europe because it's imperial and because it's so similar in dimension to 6.5mm and 6mm anyway that it probably wasn't worth the effort.

In the US I figure most of their popular calibers are just whatever the military is using. A lot of the .25 cartridges on that list were just quirky wildcats that some manufacturers adopted along the way.

LR in general has only had a huge surge in popularity since range finders became affordable. When I began shooting (only 6 years ago) hardly anybody was into it. Since most .25 caliber cartridges (with the exception of 25-06) haven't been popular since a lot longer than that, maybe they weren't considered an option. Also the only factory .257 Roberts ammo I could get was 117gr Round Nose with a BC of about negative infinity. The other calibers around were just much more diverse, offering more bullet designs often with higher BCs.
          I used a 25-06 in NZ for three years as my tops rifle before rebarrelling in 7mm-08. Low BC pills compared with either 6mm or 7mm was the kicker for me due to the long shots and variable winds involved in tops hunting. I used 110 grain Noslet Accubonds which had a BC of about .419 and these killed well out to 500 yards by which time they were going a bit slow to expand properly. I took a number of big bull thar with this combo and they didn't move far.

I like the calibre but it uses a lot of powder, has limited projectile choice, the projectiles have relatively low BC and is limited to about 120 grains at the top end. Why would you go past a 6.5x55 or a 7mm 08 with 140 grain projectiles at similar speeds with similar or higher BC's while using substantially less powder and better barrel life? At the other end of the range the 243 does everything the 25-06 does but with better BC's, less powder and better barrel life.

Having said all that it is a cool cartridge and is an excellent fallow and red cartridge.

thats what i thought.
        cheers.

Comment

Working...
        X