What is the 7.62x39 good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the 7.62x39 good for?

Always been interested in this popper but not sure if it would be any good on the foxes? Can you guys shed some light as to what the Ruskie 7.62x39 excels at?

cheers!

Originally posted by Remo" post=31050
    Always been interested in this popper but not sure if it would be any good on the foxes? Can you guys shed some light as to what the Ruskie 7.62x39 excels at?

cheers!
    Think similar to 30/30 ballistics.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Is the worlds most affordable way to slamfire! :lol:
      Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************

Found this for you, as Oddball stated think 30/30 ballistics.

Thanks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	RussianWP.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	43979

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************

Comment

• Snag
          Snag commented
          Editing a comment
          You sure that's not the effect of a sperm on an egg?

Looks like it at first glance.

It is good for use in cheap Russian assault rifles by badly trained third world soldiers, guerrillas, terrorists and bandits. The main advantage is recoil light enough to maintain controlled automatic fire out to about 200 yards, combined with good terminal performance against humans. It is also cheap to buy commercially and good for hunting rifles for girly men .
        "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Ps, I may have been stirring with my last comment about girly men .

As others have said it is in the same class as a 30-30. The main advantage over the 30-30 in a lever is that it can use spire point ammo so it shoots flatter with typical factory loads than the traditional 30-30 flat nosed rounds. The disadvantage is that the case capacity is less so it can't sling as heavy a bullet and the bolt rifles it comes in can't achieve as quick a follow up shot as a lever.

Personally I reckon if you want one centrefire for pest control or casual hunting and don't want to reload it probably isn't a bad choice. The ammo is cheap, it is capable of taking small to medium game out to 200 metres and anybody can handle the recoil.
          "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            to me its one of those intermediate rounds thats pretty good for lots of things but not really specialized in anything. If someone made a slim lightweight pump action in 7.62x39 I would consider it - it would make a decent scrub gun. It wouldn't be a bad spotlighting round in a light, short and accurate bolt action either - I wouldn't mind one myself but can't think of a use for it that isn't covered by one of current guns

A mate of mine picked up a Lithgow SMLE in 7.62 x 39 from a deceased estate a few years back, originally Horsley park converted a heap and sold them.

HPGS pulled the barrels out, rechambered, refitted, scope mounts added, sporter wood, adaptor fitted to the mag.
          This particular rifle never was that accurate- turned out the bore was typically oversized.
          He had a retired omark barrel rechambered to suit 7.62 x 39 [but with .30 projie] and fitted to the rifle.
          Now its a awesome low recoiling hunting and target rifle out to 300 yards, and gets fed everything from milsup, to cast lead reloads, jacketed reloads and anything off the shelf.

stephen
          all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I think hickok45 did a review of a cz in 7.62x39 once - its a very compact mauser action with a five round detachable mag - looked like a fun rifle! It also has a reasonable amount of firepower for a rifle the same size and weight of most 22lr's

Originally posted by Remo" post=31050

cheers!
          I'm sure it will finish a fox. :lol:

Comment

• Scourge146
            Scourge146 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got one in a Zastava M85 with a 6x scope. I shoot 125 grain Milsup ammo out of it. And there's nothing from a varmint sized target to a big pig I'd hesitate to take with it within 150m, or the spotlight beam. Short, light, low recoil, cheap, mild report, 4+1 capacity and exciting. It's a terrific little gun. Using Milsup is no problem either as some of us actually enjoy cleaning our toys.

i have a interarms mark X in 7.62x39

to me it's somewhere in between my .223 and my .308 it's got a little more recoil then my .223 but the gun is about half the weight 2 it works well on goats and pigs so a fox no problem

but don't use FMJ stuff for hunting there go straight thought and unless it hits vitals on the way thought there just keep running

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Q: What is the 7.62x39 good for?
            A: Rapidly squirting clip after clip of cheap Chinese milsurp ammo out of a cheap Chinese SKK until the varnish on the forestock starts to smoke (at least, that's what myself and my brother did with dad's Norinco back in the day when he let us loose with it up at my uncle's farm; don't think I could bring myself to shoot that round out of a bolt action after my former experiences with it, as to me it screams "comm-bloc assault rifle")

I was sorely tempted by this Zastava M85 in 7.62x39 - $450 for a new bolt rifle with iron sights is tempting:
          http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=26073

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by NewsteadVic" post=31125
            I was sorely tempted by this Zastava M85 in 7.62x39 - $450 for a new bolt rifle with iron sights is tempting:
            http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=26073
            Very tempting indeed, on the smaller "Mini Mauser" action.

I have a CZ527 in this calibre that is getting a makeover, to be revealed when finished....

Thanks,

Oddball

Scourge hit the nail on the head as far as bolt action chamberings of this round go.

But I can only see a point to this round when its built in a rifle specially scaled around it like his M85. If going with a normal mid length 308 scaled action you would be much better off just getting a 308 Win which can be loaded down to 7.62x39 levels of power and recoil, or loaded to full power at which level it wipes the floor with the Russian.

But in a nice little compact bolt action I can see a lot of sense in it. I'd like to try one loaded up to bolt action pressure specs, I think you'd get a little more out of it without pushing it too hard.

Got any pics of yours scourge?

Comment

Comment

• bobnob
              bobnob commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by 6602steven" post=31134
              the 7.65X39 will do everything a .303 will do but at 60% of the range

over simplified? maybe but true IMHO

steve
              Pretty good précis.

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              G'Day Fella's,

The 7.62 x 39 is great little hunting cartridge!
              Back in the Good-Ole-Days (FJWH), I shot hundreds of pigs (etc) with an SKS chambered for this cartridge!
              It would have to be The Best, Pig shooting rifle (with steel jacketed Military ammo), I have ever used for tally shootin Pork!!!

I currently own a Norinco M701 bolt action rifle in 7.62 x 39, that I use as a test bed for Sub-Sonic loads!
              I personally believe it to be superior cartridge to the .300 Whisper & AAC .300 B/Out, in any rifle that doesn't utilise an AR-15 type magazine, to feed the rifle!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
              Homer

So, a smaller sized cartridge than 30/30 with similar ballistics, but able to be use a spire point projectile and be 60% as effective as a .303.

Comes in a variety of Cat B bolt actions, but best had in a Mini Mauser, which is not over engineered for the cartridge.

Mild recoil, great walkabout calibre.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment

Comment

here's some data comparing four rounds with 150gr bullets, not taking into account the differences in external balistics of the flat nose bullet in the 30-30

7.62X39 154 gr Spitzer SP velocity 2,104 ft/s energy 1,516 ft·lbf
              30-30 150 gr FN velocity 2,390 ft/s energy 1,903 ft·lbf
              .303 150 gr SP velocity 2,770 ft/s energy 2,554 ft·lbf
              .308W 150 gr BT velocity 2,820 ft/s energy 2,648 ft·lbf

steve

EDIT: sorry about the table formatting

bullet availability for handloaders is some kind of issue as the '39 uses .311 bullets like the .303 and not .308 bullets

Comment

Working...
              X