Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the big'uns

Hi all,
    I was reading about some of the larger cartridges and how some are real nasty to shoot, some surprisingly easier, and it got me thinking.
    what's the largest cartridge you have shot, and how did it compare with what you thought it'd be like?

for me the biggest is 338 lap mag.
    it was actually milder to shoot than I 1st thought, albeit in a solid varmint type rifle.
    others?

45-120 when I was about 15. Looked pretty scary but was abit of a pussycat because of the weight of the sharps rifle. 45-70 out of my carbine with 500grs hurts abit more!

Comment

Not a big fan of a .458 WM off a bench. Think I'll stick to the .30 cals...a lot more comfortable.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

I have fired a fully automatic 50 cal machine gun, it kicked a bit more than I figured it would. The holes that appeared in the APC 800 m away suggested the kick was about right however. (YESSSSS that was FFUUUNNN)(don't tell anyone I said that they take live fire day very seriously at 50 cal school, but between you and me I wanted to go back tomorrow for another belt or two seeings how it was on them and all)
        "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

the biggest recoil ive experienced is from a 16.5" 12g shooting 1oz solids, i exected a hefty recoil and it was a decent kick i suppose.
          biggest rifle ive shot is a 308, pretty tame recoil really, im keen on getting behind a .338 lap mag, as its about the biggest rifle im keen on owning

Comment

Heaviest recoil I have experienced is from my mates akkar Churchill 20" with 1oz3/4 copper plated bb's largest rifle is a .30-06 which was much milder then expected I've just bought a marlin 1895.classic in .45-70 so that will be my new biggest once wapol get back to me.

Comment

• Roger Ramjet
              Roger Ramjet commented
              Editing a comment
              I still remember shooting my brothers 458 Mag when I was about 14- It was brutal, especially after the 10th round!!!

30-06 off the bench from a browning a bolt.. It was fun... But my marlin 336W 30-30 off the bench hurt more with the plastic butt.. Its pleasant off hand shooting though...

Comment

• El-Skippo
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              For me a .338-378 weatherby magnum hunting rifle no muzzle break and in the prone postion. 10 rounds of that was enough for me to say .... No more.

Styer HS50 M1 off a bench and prone. It was a big pussy cat and very mild due to its weight and muzzel brake..shot about 100 rounds over 3 days
            AMP DSR in 338 Lap...recoil is not to bad but being a bullpup it rattles your brains a bit even with ear plugs and muffs after a while.
            416 Barret a bit more 'felt' recoil than the .50, but the weight and brake tame it quite well. Same as the 375 CT..

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              5" 54Cal : You could feel the shock though a fair part of the ship.

Actual rifle : .50 cal Barret in the US

58/95/650 awesome recoil opened up my face on the second shot

That's the round next to the 22 Hornet

Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Marlin 45-70 ....... Surprised me the first few shots with factory ammo............. Still surprising me with hand loads haha, my favorite rifle

B.A.W,............that's a fair dinkum big'un.

Comment

hmm,.............not sure if that sounded good.

Comment

For me it was a 375 cheytac from a DTA . Pretty awesome kit . Recoil was mild due to the well designed brake though .

Photo is 300wm vs 375 cheytac

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131019_151441.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	42672

Comment

• fishphillott
                  fishphillott commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe not in the spirit of the thread but for me it was a 40 L60 bofor back in the day and
                  I have been within 5nm of a harpoon anti shipping missle being launched

One of my favourites is the 50/70 Sharps. For a large calibre they shoot exceptionally well!

Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

45-70 reloads that's more of a heavy shove
                  300RUM with 180gr pills without the brake now that had some sting to it VERY sharp recoil, with the brake its less than a 270win
                  300RUM with 240gr pills with the brake started to hurt after abit

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Boys antitank gun, Rattled my teeth. M60 mg fun but one belt enough, 338lm headache after 10 rounds, mossberg 12g ba shotgun, hated it. No5 mk1 with 180grn spoints, shoulder wrecker.

55 cal Boyes rifle!!!

Missed out by the skin of my teeth at having a go with one...........when I was 10 years old

Northampton, 1975.

When the ruddy Queenslander shearers told my dear old Auntie Val, that they had a "Boyes" rifle- she thought they meant a "boys" rifle [lithgow .22] and said it was ok for me to have a shot.

There I was- behind the monster, with a couple of chaff bags folded up for extra recoil padding for my rather scrawny shoulder, when my terrified Uncle Max came tearing up to the shearing shed to spoil my fun

So the biggest I have fired is only a .416 double rifle!

stephen.
                  all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    G'Day Fella's,

Here are a brace of "Best Grade" rifles, both chambered for .404 Jeffery cartridge!

Name:	038.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	48770

Name:	040_2013-12-01.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	48771

Name:	041_2013-12-01.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	48772
                    The top rifle (mine) was made completely by Ross Waghorn!
                    Ross not only made the stock (that he is so well known for) but also did all of the metal work except the engraving, which was done by Phil Vinicombe!!!
                    The bottom rifle is a newly made (only recently), by W.J.Jeffery & Sons, with all "The Fruit"!
                    Both rifles are based on copies of the Mauser 98 action.
                    The "R.T.Waghorn Rifle" uses an FN Browning Safari, magnum length action, and the W.J.Jeffery a (? made) double square bridge action!!!

I hope you enjoy them
                    Homer
                Working...
                X