lets talk MOA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lets talk MOA

I am hoping someone will give such a good answer to this question that we will pin this for later reading. I have a vague idea of what MOA is. (my own ) So lets here it from someone who really has a good idea and we can have this thread for someone else who has this question to look at later as part of our thread history. Anyone who planes to decide which ammo is better for them and there hardware, or which powder weight is better in there cartridge is going to bump straight into this concept. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a better understanding of it.
    Can anyone give us the skinny?

I accidentally posted this in the wrong section dont ask me how. anyhow its where it belongs now.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Angles are measured in degrees, minutes and seconds. A minute of angle is one 60th of a degree. A second is one 60th of a minute.
    So, a compass is divided into 360 degrees, each one of those degrees is made up of 60 minutes of angle. As Nuthead pointed out, a minute of angle is roughly equal to 1 inch at 100 yards, 2 inches at 200 yards and so on. Not sure what it is in meters and millimeters though
    Quite simple, really.

Cheers

Gwion
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

• Laflamme
      Laflamme commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Gwion" post=21458
      Angles are measured in degrees, minutes and seconds. A minute of angle is one 60th of a degree. A second is one 60th of a minute.

Quite simple, really.

Cheers

Gwion
      I was unclear forgive me how does that relate to holes in paper at 100m. When the guy claims his gun has a MOA accuracy guaranteed what does that mean given this idea of measuring accuracy based on degrees.

• BJ343
      BJ343 commented
      Editing a comment
      just imagine you are in a big circle...100 yards...and each minute OA around that circle is a match stick.... they are 1 inch apart at 100 yards...imagine you are in an even bigger circle....and at 1 kilometer each mil ...around the circle is a match stick one meter apart....so you do the maths cobber....1 mil at 100 meters is 10 centremeters .1 of a mil is 1 cm....MOA Mil it is the measure of an angle at a given range

Giant flightless NZ bird, now extinct.

Comment

• Laflamme
      Laflamme commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by NewsteadVic" post=21461

Giant flightless NZ bird, now extinct.
      That makes it all clear

Remember when you stuffed up in school and it was only a little thing and your parents said it starts small but in 30 years if you stay on that same tangent it will be a much bigger issue.... Same thing.... What starts small ends up a lot bigger down the track....
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Working...
    X