black widow 30-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious Skip, on re-reading the thread you mention working up until pressure signs with Trail boss.
    Can you do this without problems apart from not compressing that powder?

The way ADI list those loads so low in charge with both Trail boss and 2207 led me to not building up the charge with these powders in fear that they are too fast burning or something else I know nothing about.

I suppose, if the only risk is pressure, the signs will show as you work up.
    Is there some other reason for them to list the half case full charges using 2207 and TB, like not really being the suitable powder for the larger rifle case or what not?

The unknown risks or something I don't know about is the reason I went with the old 30 cal Mr Versatile 2208 for this load project.

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
      Just curious Skip, on re-reading the thread you mention working up until pressure signs with Trail boss.
      Can you do this without problems apart from not compressing that powder?

The way ADI list those loads so low in charge with both Trail boss and 2207 led me to not building up the charge with these powders in fear that they are too fast burning or something else I know nothing about.

I suppose, if the only risk is pressure, the signs will show as you work up.
      Is there some other reason for them to list the half case full charges using 2207 and TB, like not really being the suitable powder for the larger rifle case or what not?

The unknown risks or something I don't know about is the reason I went with the old 30 cal Mr Versatile 2208 for this load project.
      With trail boss you can get over subsonic speed and at subsonic.

For subsonic youll want a chrony to see what it's doing especially if your at a bench on a range as you'll have a bit of a time telling if it was sub or not. unless your in the open you can tell if the shot was sub or not.

Going supersonic is done easily but you won't get fast speeds, using trailboss with a non gas check bullet you should not see any leading. Just powder residue which is cleaned out with a patch.

For my trail boss loads I always use magnum primers. It's given me good low SD Esp when subsonic. Standard primers can give you a bit of a spread.

In the blk out I worked up to over 1 grain of adi max before I started seeing pressure signs. But in saying that for my 170lee 309 fn bullet I use trailboss wasn't even listed as a recommendation of powder, pretty sure it was listed too 150grain for 300blk loads.

Now the blackout I can't get supersonic with tb powder with the 170 charge from 5.8-6. 7was crushing powder..... No you don't want to be crushing TB powder, just explain where I went with it in the blkout.

8 grains for the same bullet in the uncles 3030 for shits n giggles pinking. Shot well in his marlin, had a dig today for the 2208 loads and can't find them... Probably biffed them in the last clean up. But the tb load was jotted down amoungst my blkout data from that day at the old silage pit, where I did testing on the old farm.

My blkout load for sub is 5.7grains for my Lee mold powder coated cast pill with 12bhn. No gaschecked on those ones.

Comment

Yeah, when I finally got some Trail boss and went to the range, I reckon it was subsonic or close as it felt and sounded like a .22.
        The RO came over and asked about it and said it sounded like a .22
        It grouped well as does the 2207 load.
        The 07 load is a few hundred fps faster but like shooting Black powder as it smokes up.
        Don't notice smoke from 2208 or TB from memory.

Pretty sure I will get what I want with the 08 load as I work up.
        Will post the results and give the OP some return from taking over his thread.

Comment

Shot the test loads up to 26gr of AR2208 and it all seems fine so loaded up to 28gr.
          At 25.5gr they feel to have more kick than my pop loads of 18gr of 07 but still shoot about 8" lower than my jacketed full loads for hunting.

I have no idea when or if they will shoot higher but I bought 1,000 gas checks and will ring HRBC Les and get over 400 projies to suit as he just fills the box to the post pack weight.
          I can then push them a bit as I just feel a bit suss pushing the plain projies too far.

May test them next Friday and shoot steel again as it was a blast last time in ideal shooting conditions, first 4 shots of the morning hit the 4 plates including the tiny one as I noticed they hit low of centre on the big plates so I aimed at the low edge.

The Gaymoor has still got it, just shot too many rounds for good groups.

Comment

Working...
          X