Old gear out of action picture thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old gear out of action picture thread

Hi all, thought it would be a good idea to post up some pics of old cars, tractors, trucks and machinery that have seen better days. Too much stuff has been scrapped over the years and I have been to a number of farms to either help scrap or to rescue what I am able to. When possible I have taken pictures of places that I have been able to access, made some good friends and met some interesting people.

No need to say or ask locations because people's privacy must be respected, just show some old treasures and a story with them.

To start things off is a very old wrecking yard that the scrap merchants haven't been able to get in, thanks to the owner knowing he has something unique, and I along with others are glad of that.

Attached Files

Well I never realised wreckers' like that still existed. Some of the cars remind me of the old Austin A40 my parents had when I was growing up...truck engine and it weighed a tonne (just about lol)

Nice post to kick off the section, Jagdtiger

Comment

Cheers.

Yep, way too much has disappeared over time.

Here's some trucks that are on an old farm that I hunt on at times. Most of them are ex-army sold on to civilian life after the war.

And our farm's RAAF marked Blitz truck

Attached Files

Comment

Love that last truck mate, bet there's some real history behind that one

Comment

• Jagdtiger
          Jagdtiger commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by zhuk" post=3287
          Love that last truck mate, bet there's some real history behind that one
          Yes one of the military museums came out to look at it for their collection, but the wife's Grandpa had ruined it by chopping out the engine and fitting a Perkins diesel along with the snorkel thru the roof, so it was no good for them.
          Found the grille for it - being used as a cover for the incinerator

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Sad seeing so much history and potential rotting away, but much less sad then seeing it sold for scrap steel value.

Pickers paradise!
        Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

A few more from the weekend

Ansair Flxible Clipper bus

Ex WW2 GMC truck

Cletrac crawler

Horwood Bagshaw grinder

David Shearer
          Attached Files

Comment

Its a shame to see some of that stuff rusting away. There is some potentially salvageable machinery there.

Are they open to offers?

Comment

From what I've been told the bus is for sale, but asking too much for it.

As for the machinery on the inlaws farm, I'm hoping they will get donated to the local heritage museum.

Comment

If anyone who is interested in this sort of gear ever gets to Ilfracombe Qld allow plenty of time to take in "Machinery Mile"

Comment

AAAaaaaaaahhhhh Blitz's

Comment

• 17fireball
                    17fireball commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0228Vincetractor0014.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	30277
                    Here's my Cletrac as I found it, about 2 hours later I had it running after sitting there for 6 years.It has a 14.7 litre Hercules diesel motor & weighs 18 tonnes. Cost me $500 but I saved it from the scrappies

• Spurious
                    Spurious commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Excellent work 17fireball

Originally posted by 17fireball" post=14341
                    Here's my Cletrac as I found it, about 2 hours later I had it running after sitting there for 6 years.It has a 14.7 litre Hercules diesel motor & weighs 18 tonnes. Cost me $500 but I saved it from the scrappies

If I had the space to spare, I'd love to get my hands on an old WWII Studebaker 6x6 truck, and fix it up to operational again.

Love the old Chamberlains, a mate has a few in his paddock he's saved over time, Super 70's & 90's

Here's another friends Chamberlain, bit off topic but an interest for the tractor buffs

Comment

• 17fireball
                    17fireball commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Jagdtiger" post=14373
                    Love the old Chamberlains, a mate has a few in his paddock he's saved over time, Super 70's & 90's

Here's another friends Chamberlain, bit off topic but an interest for the tractor buffs

Thanks for posting, I have only seen pictures of it.

A few more pics I've taken in my travels

Paddock of Blitz trucks

Bren Gun Carrier remains

Grant tank

Matilda tank

Attached Files

Comment

Another of the old man's trucks.

Name:	image_2013-11-09.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	41335

Comment

Awesome Pusser, they sure are a nice lookin and tough as truck all kitted out.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Maybe this could go on an "Old gear in action" thread.

One of the bores we're depending on for water.

Name:	LethbridgesBore.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	41475

The engine is a 1950's Kelly and Lewis 5hp VEB - the only one I've ever seen - and doesn't seem to be any info on them on the net. Pumphead is a walking beam Southern Cross. Bore is 520 feet pumping from about 350 feet.

No photos yet of the 1940 Southern Cross YC on another bore.

Comment

Working...
                        X