• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 17Hornet View Post
    LOL, he means a magnet will stick to the "basket"

Come on Ernk.

Yes - A retarded moment on my behalf - Its been a long day

Comment

Originally posted by adamjp View Post

From what I can see, the hilt, pommel and guard are made of steel, not the brass of normal swords. If you grab a magnet it will stick to them, unlike on a normal sword which is a non-ferrous metal.

To be made of steel tells me that the sword is of a type for officers of Rifle Regiments, not standard Regiments.

Back in the day, rifled bores were not the normal. The Brown Bess musket remained in use from 1722 to 1854. During the 1800s, rifles came into common use and their improved accuracy created specific Regiments that were 'Rifle' regiments. From 1855 all were equipped with rifles, but the Rifle Regiment distinction remained for some time.
      Thanks Adamjp - Great information...

Comment

How good has this thread turned out for ya 'T-boy'... I'd be taking Adams tips and cleaning that thing up for your wall.

Maybe post us up a pic or two when it's done.
        "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Heya peoples
          wow tthanks for all the valuable info.......sooooooo much appreciated.
          I've decided to have it restored to an acceptable condition and hell yes I'm hanging it on the wall and not selling it.......will post pics when it's all finished

Comment

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
            This was not a dress sword, it was the principal weapon of the man who carried it. Being sold into Melbourne it is probable that he was an officer in one of the colonial militia units that existed before Federation. It is difficult to make out the crest on the guard, that would lead you to the unit and if you could access the records of Hicks Atkinson and Sons (possibly in the state library?) you may be able to narrow down who bought it.
            We keep forgetting this!
            For this reason alone it deserves to be displayed proudly.

If you're going through hell, keep going."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
            X