Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Made for Australian Shooting

G'day All,

As we all patiently ( or not so patiently in my case) await the imminent arrival of the new range of Lithgow Rifles, I thought it might be good to have a place to "show'n'shine" any Australian made firearms we may be fortunate (or unfortunate in some cases) enough to have in our personal possession.

Old, new (if & when), tricked out and mod'ed up or slick and original. Farm gun or needle threader at 100 paces: put your pride and joy here!
    Tell us a little about it's history and how you got it, etc.

I'll start it off.
    Only recently got my licence and haven't shot since the 80's when i was a teenager in NE Vic. For starters, I got my hands on an old, somewhat less than immaculate, Sportco 62A .22lr. My neighbour offered it to me very cheaply (cost of transfer); turns out it has a bit of a misfire problem. I am informed by those who know that this is an easy fix. It has also had the end of it's barrel hacked of at some stage, Anyway, after a bit of tweaking to the action screws, she shot 5 with in 1/2" at 50m. When i told the owner, he wanted it back but i convinced him with a few bucks to part with it. I might add that the previous owner looked after it pretty well and all the "mods" were prior to his custodianship.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Home-Range-25m.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	23248
    She's been used and abused over the years, but here she is.

It's still a work in progress and I'll soon send her off for a bit of TLC from a good smith. Will post more about her when she's back from the doc's and some others have added to the thread. Hopefully she'll be shooting nice and tight by then.

Looking forward to seeing the full scope of Australian Made RIfles.

Cheers,

Gwion
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

are you sure you posted the right photo?, it looks immaculate from where im sitting

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by bottleinspector" post=6378
      are you sure you posted the right photo?, it looks immaculate from where im sitting
      Wait til you see the "work shop" pics!
      The previous owner had sanded and re-oiled the stock, i think.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by bottleinspector" post=6378
      Yes, it does. What a marvelous find.

My turn. Below are some photos of my Neilsen MN600 Sabre 308 Target Rifle. These rifles where manufactured by Lloyd Neilsen in Mackay, QLD during the 1980s and 1990s until he passed. The "Sabre" variation of the MN600 is a single shot rear locking action. The more popular MN600 & MN300 where front lockers. While most of these rifles have since been retired and replaced with the next generation of target rifles, many are still in use on ranges around Australia.

Below is one of my current F-class rigs. It's a Neilsen MN600 front locker with a Lawton 30" Fluted barrel in 308. The stock is one that I knocked up.

Here are some advertisements from the 80s and 90s for Neilsen Target Actions.

Cheers.

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, that's gorgeous! Where can i gets me one!??!

Thanks for the input. I had vaguely heard of them but never seen one and hadn't quite put 2 + 2 together to realise they were Australian.

Awesome. Thanks again!

Some beautiful examples of Australian Made Firearms there already - well done fella's! I also see that the LSAF is laying off 17 staff, sounds like they were looking for voluntary redundancy.
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Varminator" post=8260
      Some beautiful examples of Australian Made Firearms there already - well done fella's! I also see that the LSAF is laying off 17 staff, sounds like they were looking for voluntary redundancy.
      Noooooo...... Stop screwing around, finish the LA 101 CO and you might make some money!!!
      I hope they don't go kaput before the 101COs hit the market!

Where did you see this info, Varminator???

Come on where are the Sportco and Omark photos?

Comment

Love the Sportco's I have 3 old safe queens 62, 66 and 44.
      I want to get a hornet next , but hard to find a good one.
      I cut my teeth on a old 73 auto my uncle had in the 1970's and have love them since .
      Jack Warne knew how to make a nice rifle
      Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
      Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
      Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
      Ruger American .22wmr
      BSA SuperSport XL .22
      Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
      Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, I have 2...sportco martini and a fieldman 22 magnum...shown here with my savage btvs "immigrant" :P

Name:	oldandnewrifles.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	25132

Name:	martini.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	25134

Name:	Rabbit.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	25133

Hello fellow collectors!
      Here is a Westarm No.3 .22 pump action rifle. It was made in Perth, Western Australia and is a reasonably rare rifle. This particular example has had a fairly hard life but they are hard to get in any condition. I have been told that they have Lithgow barrels and that they also made a semi auto model but I haven't seen one of these. Got no idea when it was made.....maybe some one of you guys may be able to shed some more light on this.
      Enjoy!

Name:	westarm002.JPG
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	26399

Name:	westarm005.JPG
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	26400
      Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Never even knew they existed! Nice one, Pilch.
        Looks like the barrel is brazed on?

sumo, how in heck do you keep your rifles so clean and shiny? please

Comment

• Sumo
        Sumo commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by koolman" post=9831
        sumo, how in heck do you keep your rifles so clean and shiny? please
        The quick answer is silicone lubricant spray. The longer answer is that the Neilsen rifles I own were manufactured by my late great uncle Lloyd Neilsen, so my Sabre as shown in the photos is one rifle of several that I will hand down to my son when he is old enough to give a damn.

Cheers,
        Ryan Neilsen.

Here's my Lithgow sporters so far.
      1. Lithgow Single Shot Target Rifle
      2. Mod 24 .22 Hornet
      3. Mod 12
      4. Mod 1B
      Hope to get the other three 22's eventually, then a (shudder) .410 to complete the set.

Name:	DSCF0044a.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	27607

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Tech, they look in pretty fine nick from here.

That top one. A single shot??? Was it once something else?

You guys who may be interested in stuff like Lithgow 22s. Be aware there are places like the QRA at belmont that end up with them from deceased estates or from long term storage of members rifles that are no longer wanted. Often they are rubbish and good for parts, but other times they have good preloved rifles for sale.

See my link for the current list as at 11-9-13;

QRA 2nd hand rifles

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        G'Day Fella's,

I'm hoping I can add an image of my bit of Australian shooting kit, here goes?

Name:	022.JPG
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	27745
        From left to right we have a production .223/5.56 NATO sound suppressor/Can and a Proto-Type .308/7.62 NATO and .338 Lapua Mag suppressor!

Doh!
        Homer

Love that neilson action !!

JH

Comment

• sportco
        sportco commented
        Editing a comment
        My Lithgow single shot....

Name:	22003.JPG
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	30616

That little scope looks familiar Mike ---- Must be pretty old I would say .
      Round My age I reckon
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• sportco
        sportco commented
        Editing a comment
        Doesn't look its age though...just like you!! Put it on to see how it would look..its a nice fit.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	34220

Two new Aussies... Slazenger Model 24 and Sportco Martini-Cadet .22LR.

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        They look like they've been around the block a few times, Headwerkin!

When you gonna put some rounds through them? Let us know how they shoot!

Is the Slazenger 24 a 'training .22' or something?

Just a few Sportco rifles.

Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I picked up this little pearler at the Adelaide gun show with a bag of spares for $140

And of course my 44D

My now retired lithgow that bent more bullets than it fed :fp:

Not exactly Australian Shooting, but Australian made for more accurate Australian shooting.

Name:	SDC10919.JPG
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	67970

A 4 X raven scope sight.
      The 2 rings in front of the scope are from a mount that was attached to a .303.
      The rings on the scope are to mount it on a .22 RF. The label is from a box with spare pins to enable mounting on dovetails of various widths.

This scope was first used by my father on a heavy barrel .303 for hunting. It was subsquently mounted on his Brno model 1 .22 and on a Ruger 10/22. It was last mounted on a BSA Meteor air rifle. This caused the eyepiece lens to come loose through use and the brass retaining ring had to be constantly tightened, lest the lens and retaining ring be lost. It was eventually 'retired' about 20 years ago.
      Attached Files
      This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        that's a nice old piece of memorabilia, TwoFourThree. I didn't realise there were scopes made in Australia.

Definitely fits in this thread.

Cheers
        Gwion
    Working...
    X