How to disassemble a k98a?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disassemble a k98a?

Hey guys I'm trying to clean my k98a which is soaked in cosmoline, I'm trying to remove the stacking rod to remove the circular front band thingy but the stacking rod won't budge.

Someone help me before I break the damned thing haha

This vid may help
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2JDB2tGkzM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dj2JDB2tGkzM

Steve

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mate but that's for the ww2 k98. Mine is the ww1 gewehr 98 carbine aka k98A.

Hi Bull, sorry can't help much - I have a WWI Gew98, or M98 but but of course these don't have the stacking rod - I think that's a different beastie to what you have however - yours sounds like a K98a or K98az - please see here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?329422-K98a-amp-K98AZ-Please-A-Clarification

Cheers, Ian

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah crap I think it's the k98az. I forgot about the z

Yea I'm trying to pull and twist the stacking rod which is connected to a plate onto the bottom wood thing and it won't come out. Bloody Germans and their complexity.

Another question, do u guys recommend using hot water to get of the Cosmo? Or should I buy something like a degreaser?

Comment

• Savage
      Savage commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Bull" post=6098
      Another question, do u guys recommend using hot water to get of the Cosmo? Or should I buy something like a degreaser?
      I use kero for general metal degreasing/cleaning/soaking as it leaves a very slight oily film and isn't too harsh, I have never had to remove bulk lots of cosmoline. PM Roderick, Techsupport or Demo(there are others especially those moist nugget owners) I have never been fortunate enough to need to clean any packed as such.

Kero is good for metal parts as Savage mentioned.

Strangely, of all the (considerable number of) Mosins I have none have had much cosmo, and not much in the stock. I have used Ballistol for the wood on occasion.

Just how gunked up are we talking, Bull?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Kero as in kerosene?

It's like someone threw the metal rifle parts into a big bowl of cosmoline. Lol there's heaps, I think they wanted to store this rifle for 100s of years haha ill try and post some pics

As in yeah just throw all the metal parts in a dish/tray of kerosene and let them soak. Scrub a bit etc

You can give the metal a wipe down to get the excess off first, would save on kero heh

Might take a few refills in the tray too if its that bad lol

Comment

Sorry for replying late but here are the pics of the cosmoline. This is after scraping alot of the big gunks off.

But thanks guys for the help, i used kero to clean the rifle and oiled her up afterwoods.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, you got the gunk heh

Glad the kero did the trick

How did you go on that spot of rust there? Come up OK? Friend I knew used to put a very thin film of anti-rust marine grease on his barrels after cleaning which isn't a bad idea, in general.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          All the rust went off with the kero, checked it after I cleaned it and I couldnt find where it was . I look for some of that marine grease tomorow thanks for the tip
      Working...
      X