BSA Martini in 577/450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSA Martini in 577/450

Here is a couple of pictures of my 577/450 BSA. Bore is like new and definitely a good shooter. The wood has a tiger pattern to it which makes it stand out. Still has its cleaning rod.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	57648

Name:	013.JPG
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	57649

Name:	014.JPG
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	57650

Can you clarify the chambering, 577/450 or 450 No. 2?
    Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

• Bathurst72
      Bathurst72 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think its 577/450. I don't really know much about them as its my first in original calibre and up to now, was not into finding info about these guns. My other one is in 303.

Very nice. I think my next rifle purchase will be 577/450 carbine or a late .577 snider carbine. It will be interesting if it turns out to be a .450 no1.
    WTB: 38/40 barrel or donor rifle, snider/p53 lock and breech parts, 10-15 round blued 38 super 1911 mag, AIA/skk mag with star on the side. Pm me on forum.

Comment

• Bathurst72
      Bathurst72 commented
      Editing a comment
      How can I check if 577/450 or 450?

Bought qa beat up rusted useless one years ago for a couple of quid may be $5.00 in today`s value along with three cartridges as in the piccy.
    Second from left .
    Paper wrapped rolled projectile in thin bras shells ... I was never game to fire it so I let one off with out the slug in.
    Rattled every window in the house and sent out a cloud of smoke about ten meters long.
    It was the short carbine version.
    I remember reading at the time that shells were in the vicinity of gold price and had a drop of some thing like 10 meters at 300 yds.
    Not much chop for a roo gun [ us lads had some funny ideas back then ] I swapped it for a horse that was no good either so no one came out in front.

I dunno but I think it is a 577/450 [ 450 projectile ] 577 might be the complete designation its not an either or.
    Google is your friend and there is heaps on wikipedia about these old rifles.

Attached Files
    [center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• Bathurst72
      Bathurst72 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have changed the subject heading to reflect what it possibly is. I have a 577/450 round here and will chamber this tomorrow and confirm. Hopefully everything goes ok.

On the side of the receiver it looks like [BSA 2 .450]. This could be a commercial conversion to fire the Wesley Richards 450 No.2 Musket, a round similer to 45/70. Gawd knows where you would get cases and dies for it!

Comment

• Bathurst72
      Bathurst72 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, just went and confirmed, its got BSA MCo on the side and have chambered a 577/450 round, so at least I can get some ammo and give her a clean out now.

NO affiliations and I dont know how old their page is but you could try this
    http://westernfirearms.com.au/reloading-supplies-brass-577-450-martini-henry-brass-5-by-bertram-p-2704.html

Note they sell dies as well

A gogle search using the following ..... no quote or any enclosures .. 577/450 ammunition - au .... will return australian content first inthe results.
    Don`t forget the space and au on the end /so it finds Australian content first.

Happy hunting
    [center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

The cheapest brass can be made from 24ga Magtec shotshells. About $35 for 25 from Gold Coast Shooters!

Comment

Beautiful rifle mate, must add this to the list.
        Lithgow addicted, with no sign of a cure.

Comment

Working...
        X