Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lithgow stork brought Fish a baby SMLE for his birthday

Today I became the proud dad to a Lithgow No2 mk 4* 22lr Trainer
    She started out in life as a 1919 Lithgow Sht LE and became her present self in June 47
    Nothing at all matches not the bolt not the rear sight not even the butchered nose peice ( which I believe was a standard thing to do with the trainers or at least I hope so) the nose peice retained the machine work for the piling swivel but has had her ears pierced
    The rear sight is a MA dated 40 but with a "B" serial No. I don't know if the No2 mk 4* had a calibrated rear sight for the 22 ammo
    as I said she started life as a Sht LE and has 2nd MD stamped on the reciever with 2 serial No's the first but struck out No has no letter prefix the second is a "A" serial No
    The Bolt has a "D" serial No
    She is mismatched to buggery but she is my little SMLE

I have to say a big thanks to ABClarke for the no hassle transfer and allowing me to play with and fondle this little part of our Australian history for the time being

Now rhe bits you have all been waiting for

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131220_151735.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	56607

Name:	20131220_151814.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	56608

Name:	20131220_191219.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	56609
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

the last photo shows my 3 Lithgows together for a family photo
    the top rifle is the No2Mk4*
    middle is my grandfathers No1 mk3* all matching painted action and barrel in that lovely Lithgow green a 44 Orange assembled beauty
    and the ugly monster at the bottom is my every day go to rifle in 30 cal a 44 action with a 54 lithgow heavy barrel she currently wears a lane aperture sight with a P&H 60 eyepiece thingy ma bob with the 6 different size aperture discs like I said ugly as sin but does the job I need her to do
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Gonna let the experienced Enfield guys here jump in on your comments fish. But I just wanted to say she looks a beaut (wouldn't care less about non-matching numbers, as long as it shoots!)

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        took her for a short walk just before dark this afternoon she did the job on a rabbit or two so she will do me until something better comes along and she will go to another admirer for a time
        the only 22 ammo my local has was highland AX in hollow points or solid points so I brought 1000 of each and see which one works the best and stock up
        I"m not overly fussed with the numbers, I was going to strip her down and give everything a drink of blo and a scrub I took the fwd hand guard off and froze I don't think she has been apart since she was put together at lithgow I don't have the heart to go any further there is still sawdust coating the screw heads

Happy days indeed Fish!!!

Love the fact it gets use as a duty rabbit rifle!

Well done indeed.

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Oddball" post=45262

Well done indeed.
        I have got a RAWSON sight to go on her I might cable tie a dolphin torch to the charger bridge and turn it into a tactical rifle

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Oddball" post=45262

Well done indeed.

Seconded on that!

'duty rabbit rifle' heh

what I've always intended for mine one day. Onya, fish

Sometimes mongrels end up being pretty good.
      Nice family photo, I'm sure the collection will grow. And happy birthday, a bit late.

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        NBT
        I have a real surprise for you all with my next lithgow due early next week I hope
        This one will turn a few heads and raise a few eyebrows from the Lithgow purists
    Working...
    X