91/30 refurb with matching-numbers bayonet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91/30 refurb with matching-numbers bayonet?

Hi guys! Just picked up 2x Mosins I recently purchased; here's the link to the thread detailing the rifles and with pics:

http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/long-arms/2876-more-info-on-some-mosins

Anyway, initially I was excited about the mint unissued Romanian M44 however something about the "run-of-the-mill" 91/30 refurb has grabbed my attention. My other 91/30 "Lawrance Ord Special" refurb has had all the numbers on the bolt, mag floorplate and buttplate ground down or struck out and then forced-matched to the barrel number with electro-pencilled markings, which is apparently common since these rifles were generally assembled from random components from the parts box when they were refurbished after the war; the bayonet that came with the rifle is also non-numbers matching as evidentially they never are with the refurbs we get out here.

So, the first thing that struck me about this new rifle I've just gone over is that not only do all the numbers match but they appear to be the original stampings & all in the same font and not something that was done during an arsenal refurb at a later date (I can't see any sign of previous numbers having been ground down and stamped over), however what blew me away is that when I checked the bayonet I found it's number to be matching too and in the same style/font as the other stampings, with no signs of any restamping or anything else to force-match it! The stock has the slashed-box mark on it denoting a refurb and the thing's chock full of cosmoline which confirms this to be the case, so I'm intrigued as to how the barrelled-action and all it's accompanying components including the original bayonet made it through the refurb process unmolested and remained together until the rifle went into storage.

Would it be the case that it may have perhaps been a rifle that didn't see much front-line action during the war and thus was in reasonable nick when the lazy post-war armorer examined it at the arsenal and thus decided that a quick gloop of shellac on the stock was all that was needed, or is there something else going on here?

The bayonet is most likely of post-war manufacture or at leas had a new serial placed. When I purchased my first refurb from the crate, all twenty had been shipped with matching bayonets.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by TheSovietSamurai" post=43612
      The bayonet is most likely of post-war manufacture or at leas had a new serial placed. When I purchased my first refurb from the crate, all twenty had been shipped with matching bayonets.
      Ah OK, that would explain it; they must get mixed up once they're all un-crated and dispersed to the dealers then. Thanks S/S!

Fortunate alright to nab one out of the crate, Sam! Would have been spolied for choice..."I'll have that one...no, make it that one...no," lol

Of all the 91/30s I have only one fits a bayonet, the non-refurbed Finn capture. Fluke in that it was the one I'd picked for reenactment purposes

Comment

Working...
    X