Lee enfield restore ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee enfield restore ?

I have been thing about getting an enfield for a while and one come at a price that was just right for me

Now i'm planning on restoring it how would you guys go about doing it and any website that have tear down instructions

P.S i can see a few more enfield in the future hopefully

Click image for larger version

Name:	999796_10202540175175915_1717795013_n.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	52418

Name:	1469884_10202540175135914_1257678785_n.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	52419

Name:	1470337_10202540175095913_932594804_n.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	52420

Name:	524756_10202540175215916_277392220_n.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	52421

Name:	1506915_10202540175255917_630572634_n.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	52422

Plenty of utube videos
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

• Rat man407
      Rat man407 commented
      Editing a comment
      Any clue how to tell what model it is all the paper work says is SHTLE III* 1918?

Will check out you tube when i get home

and forgot to say it's all matching numbers 2

Looks in good nick. I wouldn't be doing any more than a strip-down & clean.

couple here

Comment

Hi Ratman,
      Whatever you do don't take the butt off first.
      Good luck with it.
      Les

Comment

• TheSovietSamurai
        TheSovietSamurai commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a No1 MkIII*, as the paperwork says. It's all up to you of course, but personally I wouldn't touch it at all. It's hard enough to find matching 1914-1918 dated Enfields, and we already have enough that were FTR'ed let alone restored by individuals. If you were going to restore something, I'd say look for something that was FTR'ed, rather than something original.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by LuckyLes" post=40735
        Hi Ratman,
        Whatever you do don't take the butt off first.
        Good luck with it.
        Les

Or don't remove the butt at all. Just the furniture, clean the metalwork, check for rust, reassemble.

All I'd be doing.

hi its up to you what you do with it its yours. if you want clean the wood get some overn cleaner and spray on the wood that will draw out the grease and oil then wash off with a brush under the tap give a light sand with 1200 wet and dry and reoil .
      the overn cleaner is good on the metal if you want to clean it up

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Before you do anything thing talk to demo Techsupport or baw they are the smle experts

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Leave it, give the bore a clean, oil the bolt etc and go shoot it!! Start collecting and enjoy!

looks like its not matching numbers like there told me unless the one underneath the bolt doesn't count?

Name:	1459819_10202540974155889_2028631965_n.jpg
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	52489

Comment

• TheSovietSamurai
        TheSovietSamurai commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Rat man407" post=40764
        looks like its not matching numbers like there told me unless the one underneath the bolt doesn't count?

That serial should only match the serial on the side of the bolt.
        Attached Files

ok in that case the bolt doesn't match but everything else does i can live with that

Comment

• aussietomcatter
        aussietomcatter commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a batch number.. It will match the bolt, but there are two numbers on the bolt. There should be a number on the bolt handle that will also match the S/N on the action.
        As for the FTR comment, FTR'd rifles are just as valuable as original SMLE's IMO, they protray part of the history of the rifle in Australian service, and in most cases, FTR rifles are in nicer and more original condition than some of the beat up SMLE's that are around. You can't restore an FTR rifle, it is how it is when it left the factory after it went through its FTR process. As a matter of fact, looking at the pictures of this rifle I would take a guess that this is an FTR rifle, coachwood wasn't in use during that time period, it also has the later style nosecap which would have been fitted as part of an FTR program, and it has no markings on the butt which is also typical of FTR's rifles.
        If you're going to clean it, clean it gently. If you intend to shoot it, check that it is fitted with recoil pads, if it isn't the forend is liable to split with repeated use due to the softer nature of Coachwood furniture.

looking at it now thanks mate

Comment

• digger
        digger commented
        Editing a comment
        Clean versus restore.

My suggestion is that you should lightly clean the rifle externally to remove the built up gunk.

I would limit it to removing the barrel bands, hand guards nose cap and fore wood. This will enable you to clean the barrel and the receiver. WD40 and a soft toothbrush works well to remove the built up dirt filled grease.

Once you have got all of the old grease off, you must put new clean grease back on. Get some high temp grease from an auto shop and lighly coat all surfaces that will be covered by the wood work. The grease is needed to prevent corrosion.

Give the woodwork several coatings of linseed oil. Both the internal and external surfaces need this.

A combination of linseed oil, 00 or 0000 steel wool and a light rubbing will remove some of the built up dirt on the external surfaces of the wood work. A light rub will clean it without removing the patina should not damage the markings. Rub too much and you will start removing the finish that makes an older Enfield look so good.

As mentioned above don't try removing the butt without first removing the fore end. You must remove the fore end prior to removing the butt. On a SMLE the fore-end locks the square end of the butt bolt. Trying to unscrew the butt without removing the fore end, will result in a split fore end.

Cheers

Paul

i tryed taking it apart but one of the screws on the bayanet cap is striped so i'm just going to clean everything i can see

Comment

Working...
      X