Non-refurb Mosin 91/30, 1936 Izhevsk, Spanish Civil War.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-refurb Mosin 91/30, 1936 Izhevsk, Spanish Civil War.

Hey everybody,
    another rifle that I've organized to have imported from the US.
    It's another Mosin, not a refurb, but not related to Finland either.
    I've been searching for a Mosin with Spanish provenance since I started collecting, but I don't believe they ever made their way to Australia.
    I think the majority of these rifles were imported from Spain by Interarmsco in the 50s-60s. The 'Made in USSR' is an import mark, which today we dread, but in this case it actually concretes the rifles exact origin, as the import mark was exclusive to this particular batch of rifles.

The Republicans purchased roughly 500,000 of these rifles, amongst other materiel, from the Soviet Union over the course of the war, 1936-1939, using $500 million worth of gold reserves that were stored in the Bank of Spain.
    According to Wikipedia, the Soviets also sent a total of 3000 volunteers that actively participated in combat during the conflict.
    As we know, the Republicans were defeated, and subsequently these rifles fell into the hands of the Nationalists.
    I'm unsure how their service life progressed in Franco's Spain, but many that I've seen have been heavily sanded.
    Thankfully, it appears that the only modifications to this example were the added sling hangers and the import mark.

It sure looks to have had a rough life, as most non-refurbed military firearms do, but i think it's a great piece of history that you don't hear about too often.

Congratulations on another variant to add to your collection, Sam. And one you're fairly unlikely to find here.

The roughies tell the best stories, don't they?

Comment

Howdy SovSam, nice find - and history - didn't realise so many went to Spain.... if only they'd guessed what was looming just a few years later... hind-sight and all that.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what state the barrel is in...
        Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

• TheSovietSamurai
          TheSovietSamurai commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Dreadnought1" post=36370
          It'll be interesting to see what state the barrel is in...
          According to the seller, the bore is 'good', but I'm not holding my breath :P
          Although I have been surprised by the bore conditions of a few of my Finns, I guess it just depends if their former owners maintained them well.
          Either way, I have a few more 91/30s that do the job, I probably won't fire this one too often if at all, more about the history for me.

George Orwell really wasn't impressed by the way his POUM comrades kept their rifles during the Spanish Civil War but I hope yours was issued to one of the more knowledgable and diligent...

Damn good find there, SovSam!
        Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

Working...
        X