303 length of pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 303 length of pull

Hi guys I'm chasing a stock for my 410 which is one of the old 303 conversions.

The original platform is a no1 mk3. I have always though that the stock had been cut down and Was a once off but now I'm not so sure, so if anyone has the time I would like some one to measure their rear stock from the back of the wrist to the center of the butt.

Thanks guys,

Just moved your post here might have a faster response Ed. Not at home atm otherwise I'd measure my trainer for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed9362" post=35536
      Hi guys I'm chasing a stock for my 410 which is one of the old 303 conversions.

The original platform is a no1 mk3. I have always though that the stock had been cut down and Was a once off but now I'm not so sure, so if anyone has the time I would like some one to measure their rear stock from the back of the wrist to the center of the butt.

Thanks guys,
      Remember there are three lengths for SMLE butts. Small, medium and long. There should be a letter on top of the buttstock to indicate length. Half inch differences in length between the three.

Comment

In total there were 4 Butt lengths

Bantam - 11 inches marked B
        Short - 11 ½ inches marked S
        Regular - 12 inches not usually marked
        Long - 12 ½ inches marked L

Bantam was introduced with the No4 SMLE. Whilst No1 MkIII and No4 butts vary at the wrist, they have the same length and were often interchanged.

Just remember that you must remove your forend before you try to undo the butt screw. On a No1 MkIII the butt screw has a squared off end that protrudes though the wrist and fits tightly into the forend. This combination prevents the butt coming loose in service. Trying to undo the screw without removing the forend can result in a badly cracked forend.

Comment

• Ed9362
          Ed9362 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks guys, it looks like I have just a plain old standard stock.

That might make it a lot easier to replace.

• Bricktop
          Bricktop commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by digger" post=35560
          In total there were 4 Butt lengths

Bantam - 11 inches marked B
          Short - 11 ½ inches marked S
          Regular - 12 inches not usually marked
          Long - 12 ½ inches marked L

Bantam was introduced with the No 4 rifle. Whilst No1 MkIII and No4 butts vary at the wrist, they have the same length and were ofetn interchanged.

Just remember that you must remove your foreend before you try to undo the butt screw. On a No1 MkIII the butt screw has a squared off end that protrudes though the wrist and fits tightly into the forend. This combination prevents the butt coming loose in service. Trying to undo the crew without removing the forend can result in a bably cracked forend.
          This is why I like this place. You learn something every day.

and anyone reading these posts who owns a No1 ought to remove the stock bolt and cut the square end off.

This destroyer of forends is not on the No4s and was routinely, though without approval, removed by unit Armourers in the Australian Army.
        It was general practice in India to remove the square; which doesn't stop the butt from coming loose because looseness is 99% of the time caused by shrinkage.
        Some early carbines as well as the Australian No6 and other experimental Aust. rifles also have the dreaded device and if the forend of one of these is busted it is virtually impossible to replace.

So, if you value your Lee-Enfields and want them to be valued historical pieces now and in the far future, get to work with the hacksaw.

Comment

Working...
        X