Lithgow Model 24 on SMLE action.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithgow Model 24 on SMLE action.

Guys another rifle i;m considering selling as my collections all over the place (ie collect abit of everything) and want to concentrate more on just a few manufactures. I dont know much about it however to my knowledge i dont believe its been refurbished and is the original chambering by lithgow. Condition appears to be very good however bluing coming off around magazine housing. Just wondering are these popular with lithgow/slazenger collectors and any additional information would be appreciated. I believe lithgow started production on these in 1949?
    Attached Files

Another
    Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      G'day SHA.
      From your pics it looks like a pretty nice one. There are a couple of Lithgow collectors here that might be interested. I have one and wouldn't part with it. They are a bit weighty for a small calibre centrefire (but not if used to the SMLE) but as accurate as anything available in that range. Ad to that their history and you have a lot of good reasons to own one.

Is it just me, or does the magazine (scaled up of course), general stock shape, checkering pattern look very much like a BRNO model 1 .22 rimfire ?

It certainly reminds me of one.

Wonder if there was a plan to 'copy' the look ,or did rifles of that vintage look very similar ?
    This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Originally posted by Single Hit Armaments" post=33423
      Guys another rifle i;m considering selling as my collections all over the place (ie collect abit of everything) and want to concentrate more on just a few manufactures. I dont know much about it however to my knowledge i dont believe its been refurbished and is the original chambering by lithgow. Condition appears to be very good however bluing coming off around magazine housing. Just wondering are these popular with lithgow/slazenger collectors and any additional information would be appreciated. I believe lithgow started production on these in 1949?
      They're a neato rifle, IMHO. I have two... one was from an Enfield-made No.1 MK111, the other Lithgow-made.

Yes, they do have a Brno-esque shape to them. Whether this was deliberate or not I cannot say. The Slazenger rimfires were heavily based - if not total copies - of 1930s Winchesters.

Manufacture did indeed start in 1949 and continued until 1961. Approximately 7,700 were produced, which wasn't many compared to the 80,000+ Model 12/55s and 200,000+ Model 1s. As such they're not particularly common, though there's usually a small number for sale within Australia at any given time.

Price varies a lot.... from as little as $200 for rough examples to around $600 for good un's, often with a scope. Ol' mate Pete Thurley scoffed at the notion of one being worth $600 - this when I was buying a nice, clean, complete and unmucked with example for $285. As with all these things, they're only worth what someone is willing to pay. Mind you, interest in collecting Slazengers seems to be on the rise.

One bit of advice to any would-be purchaser - make sure the thing feeds from the mag, chambers and cycle rounds properly. My first one came with a new mag which clearly wasn't modified correctly to work with a Model 24. Accurately stripping and chambering a skinny 22 Hornet round in an action designed to take a chunky 303 was always a slightly dubious proposition I suppose, but this particular example was hopeless and required a lot of gunsmithing work to get it working properly. Something to be wary of.

Cheers, Ben.

Comment

• 17fireball
        17fireball commented
        Editing a comment
        I have one made by Edward Gamer a gunsmith at Lithgow as his personal rifle.Sorry not a great picture.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020710.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	46378

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020708.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	46377

Yeah forgot to add its 22Hornet (thanks 25/303). Mag feeds fine and no problems with cycling . Ill list it up for sale with better pics next few days.

Comment

Working...
      X