More info on some Mosins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More info on some Mosins

Guys i have 2 Mosins i,m considering selling but dont know much about them (i'm not a mosin guy by any means) and would appreciate more experianced members input. I think the photos turned out ordinary and will try to get better ones in the next few days.

Rilfe 1 All matching numbers including Bayonet . still heavily greased in areas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1384939165786.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	45537

Name:	1384939188040.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	45538

Name:	1384939206056.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	45539

Name:	1384939333277.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	45540

Name:	1384939475138.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	45541

Name:	1384943684866.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	45542

Name:	1384943836427.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	45543

Seems you have a wartime 1940 refurb, a low-wall receiver Izhevsk not uncommon however it is in a prewar stock with screw-in sling escutcheons...which is not quite so common. The box-slash-thru marking on the stock simply designates postwar Ukrainian refurbishment which they pretty much all were. Has US import markings.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by zhuk" post=32877
      The box-slash-thru marking on the stock simply designates postwar Ukrainian refurbishment which they pretty much all were.
      Can I be an OCD comrade? As far as I can tell, the box slash mark is Soviet but has no exclusive indication of which Soviet SSR it came from. Similarly, the barrel refurb mark with the vertical lined box. Recent imports to the US have been from the Ukraine. The two points are related, but not necessarily the same. Then again, I could be wrong!

Rifle 2 I believe is a M44 .All Matching numbers. I believe previous owner out 20 rounds through from a unfired previous condition. It has some writing that i havent been able to read under the end of barrel. looks like it has georia iv in it? . Have to get a magnifying glass for further inspection
    Attached Files

Comment

That's from the Ishevsk factory in 1940, indicated by the hammer and sickle mark. There are other Ishevsk stamps with the arrow inside a triangle. It is a post war refurbishment and you can see the stamp on the butt indicating this on the butt. There should be a corresponding one on the barrel shank. Can't read the stamp on the side, but it doesn't look like the current US 'billboard' style -may be a European import?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, zhuk & the Captain's description are bang on (plus, the ammo pouches which presumably came with the rifle are post-war & the type usually supplied with the refurbs). I got excited at first at what appeared in the photos to be brass sling escutcheons which I've never heard of, until I realised it is simply a layer of shellac covering them and giving them that golden hue.

Still a nice rifle 91/30, & could be a carbon copy of mine and is probably a good shooter too. Since the formerly-plentiful supply of good-quality refurbed Mosins has now dried up in this country your rifle should be at least worth a bit more than it was a year or two ago (judging by the price some of them seem to go for on usedguns.com these days).

EDIT; just spotted the M44 pics; looks nice. Let me know if you're selling it as I'll buy it from you.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment

a few more pics

Name:	1384943908668.jpg
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	45561

Name:	1384943908668.jpg
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	45561
      Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like a Romanian M44 to me, import code under barrel. Century Arms. I'd be interested
        http://www.mosinnagant.net/global%20mosin%20nagants/Romo-Mosin-Nagants.asp
        Check this link out for more detail.

Oh OK, maybe it is a US import but the bottom isn't square to the stock line. It probably reads CAI Georgia VT, meaning the importer to the US was Century Arms.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Just to rub salt into everybody's wounds (including mine, even though I can't buy any more Mosins) Classic Arms in the US are now selling Molots for $99 each, however "factory master packs of 6 and 12" are recommended.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-e...lotm9130wbayob

Apparently they sold 100 within 2 hours, and just so you know, you can only add 5,451 to the cart at any one time :lol:

:lol: I predict you are going to have a lot of interest in your M44.. That's for sure.. Yes please

Comment

Guys Thanks for the input and always nice to hear some history on firearms. I believe that import code could be that of century arms a closer inspection should confirm and yes ive had "good" interest in the M44. Hoping to pass the 91/30 on too just got to come up with some prices. Again i appreciate the help and some of you guys know ALOT about Mosins

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I put in an order for 1000. "Dreaming"

The flash has added abit to the shine but defiantly "shiner" than your Izhevsk which is real nice by the way

Comment

Hi Guys, just wondering.....is natural European beech wood ever that dark?? I always thought it slightly darker than pine? I had a quick search online:

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/european-beech/

Of course imported wood is not out of the question!

Cheers, Macca

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by macca41" post=33394
            Hi Guys, just wondering.....is natural European beech wood ever that dark?? I always thought it slightly darker than pine? I had a quick search online:

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/european-beech/

Of course imported wood is not out of the question!

Cheers, Macca

Yeah macca, the carbine pictured above is definately beech it has the same grain., just very much lighter than the usual Poles. It doesn't look like its had staining applied

The staining will be the difference then, thanks for the heads up zhuk, my eyes are not what they were 20...30 years ago! Cheers, macca

Comment

Freakin' heck Dreadnought - that joint is selling 2 x 440 spam cans of 7.62 x 54r for USD$175 ..... so I wonder what that dealer in the States gets it for??

Comment

Working...
            X