French Mas-36, St.Etienne 1939. Non-refurb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Mas-36, St.Etienne 1939. Non-refurb.

Hey everybody, another interesting rifle that I've decided to import from the states. A 1939 manufactured French Mas-36, with original finish. All serials match, bar the bolt. As with many Finn-captured Mosins, I'd assume th bolt was removed prior to the initials owners surrender. Also comes with the original sling. I would guess that the majority of it's service life was probably spent in the hands of a German occupier rather than a Frenchmans', as most of the pre-1940 MAS' seem to have, after the Germans acquired a very large number of them following the Battle of France, giving them the designation ' Gewehr 242' From what I can gather, most of the rifles on the market today were simply assembled from parts post-war, sanded and refurbished, with little to no marks howing on the stocks. I doubt I could've found a better example of a French rifle for my WW2 collection. The rifle is not import marked, so I would assume that this particular example was a GI bring-back from France. Here are the pics:

I am not sure if you can import it as it has NO safety.
    I suggest you look into it. I wish you best of luck.
    If you're going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

• TheSovietSamurai
      TheSovietSamurai commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by MrCarbine" post=32742
      I am not sure if you can import it as it has NO safety.
      I suggest you look into it. I wish you best of luck.
      Damn, I never even considered that.
      Well, looks like a very large can of worms may have been opened :

Originally posted by TAP64" post=32756
    No can of worms ,
    You can import it ,
    But customs will not release it to you unit it has safety fitted.
    That is good to know, thank you. I'd hate to alter the rifle in any way, but I guess I have no choice if I wish to own it.
    How exactly do you think they'd apply a safety catch to the rifle?

Comment

• jasmay
      jasmay commented
      Editing a comment
      I really dont get the safety need that customs goes on about, considerign 95% of target rifles dont have them and are manufactured offshore ... its a WTF issue with me

Probably is enough if it has that mechanism to apply the safety; just a small depression will have to be drilled and filled with red paint I'm guessing. Same thing is on all my Mosins....this is usually done by the importer so I believe. I'm assuming your other rifles coming from the US will have to have this done too before Customs will release them (but don't quote me, heh) Any headsup on that, TAP?

Comment

I have heard of some MAS-36 rifles being fitted with an SKS-type safety previously.

Perhaps some other MAS-36 owner might have more info...
      Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Heaps of Nagants when originally imported had to have safety and sear work done inc the Red dot by the importer before they were released. The Importer was given x amount of time to do them and show the work completed.

You don't see too many of these here in Oz Sov. Sam. Very nice - I've just actually finished reading the chapter which covers these in the book, Collecting Classic Bolt Action Military Rifles. Your importer here should be able to sort the safety issue.

Comment

I did have one which indeed just had a thick dab of red paint - and was totally surprised to find no hole underneath. And totally agree with GSR, zhuk and TAP - best to ask your importer to have this done prior to the rifles leaving for Oz . Sorry, I should have made that clearer in my post!

Comment

Once it is here in your possession, no one is ever going to check for a red dot again. How would anyone know? If you ask the question, you may just open a can of worms.

Comment

Hi mate,
            that's a really nice example - has the original blue finish of the type 1 (pre-war) rifles, the front sight also has the ears rather than full hood etc very nice

Luckily mine somehow avoided being butchered for the fitting of a safety, who knows quite how that happened - I'd guess it was brought in prior to the requirement for it be fitted. The woeful triggers are safety enough.

A potential way to avoid butchering such a nice example would be to get another trigger guard out of somewhere like numerich's and have the SKS swinging safety fitted to this and change it in for the importation phase then change the original back in upon completion. The were at least three different styles of trigger guard,
            -Pre-war (machined, blued)
            -Wartime expedient (pressed metal)
            -Early post war (machined, parkerised)
            -Later post war (cast, parkerised)
            I'd imagine any of these (bar the pressed metal guard) should share the same inletting footprint and thus be interchangeable.
            There is a terrific contributor on a lot of these forums called "Kelt", who is hugely knowledgeable on French arms and he would be well worth contacting as he could confirm this with certainty.
            Repro L42a1 Project

Comment

• TheSovietSamurai
              TheSovietSamurai commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the information everybody, but I decided to pull the pin on this rifle. Too much of a problem that seems difficult to sort out, I couldn't bring myself to allow a historical rifle to be butchered for my sake either.
          Working...
          X