Best Mosin Nagant Variant for Service Rifle Comps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Mosin Nagant Variant for Service Rifle Comps

I have pretty much convinced myself I need to acquire a Mosin Nagant to use in Service Rifle shoots - strictly for fun and with no intent to be competitive. Availability of good Mosins in Australia is a bit light right now and I realise I may have to wait for a suitable rifle.

I would appreciate suggestions on what are the best variants for this purpose as well as anything I should look out for during pre-purchase inspection.

I am most attracted to a 91/30 but would look at a M44 or even a T53. I am not after a collector piece, I just want a shooter that will be able to hit the paper at 300m.

Also grateful for hints on where to look out somthing suitable (I already monitor abusedguns.com and the Lawrance site).

Cheers

Hi Stan - I'd be leaning towards a 91/30 out of the 3 you quote - especially if this is the one that has you most interested. The sight radius alone on the 91/30 has it ahead of the shorter barrelled M44/T53's... just my opinion though. I love the M44 I have too! I'm sure others will chime in, Cheers, macca

Comment

I doubt a Finnish m/39 would be beaten by any other Mosin variant....unless you can get your hands on a Finn 7.62 Tkiv 85 sniper...
      Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

Originally posted by Stan 66" post=30820
        I have pretty much convinced myself I need to acquire a Mosin Nagant to use in Service Rifle shoots - strictly for fun and with no intent to be competitive.
        Cheers
        for fun and no intent to be competitive?

thats a complicated way of saying "gimme an M44"

you can still be competitive with pig sticking flame thrower,
        not that long ago at our range I gave a fella with a 6.5 x 55 thingo a hell of a scare [200 yard service rifle match] with Albanian milspec ammo.
        300 / 400 yards is good, 500 / 600 yards it gets a bit harder.
        Although I get funny looks shooting from 600 yards with the spike out!

stephen
        all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

For shooting Service Rifle matches I have an Enfield No4 to be "competitive" at longer ranges (got to love that adjustable rear aperture sight and slick cock-on-close action) and to be able to easily keep up in the rapids. Then I have a Mosin 91/30 for something different and to challenge my failing eyesights on the notch sight and my clip-loading skills when I find that the particular match format on the day is a little too "easy" or predictable for my No4.

But when I'm shooting matches at 100m off-hand and crave loud booms & metre-long tongues of flame billowing out of the muzzle (and the complaints of the old boys on the line about the "bloody cannon" I'm firing) then my recently-acquired M44 will be coming out to play; I suspect that the term "M44" is the Russian word for FUN!

(That's not me in the pic, but just a representation of what shooting an M44 in broad daylight can be like, let alone at night ).

Click image for larger version

Name:	flame.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	43915

Comment

Hi Stan66,
            You had better have a look on Used Guns, a 91/30 possibly unfired with all accessories for $450
            Good Luck
            Les

Comment

• Stan 66
              Move commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the tip. Trying to contact the owner now.

And I got it. Many thanks Les.

It looks like it is an arsenal refurb with no apparent blemishes or vices. I guess we'll see when the cosmoline comes off. Will be interesting to see the proofs and other stampings.

$450 for a ok looking service rifle including the full accessory set is not too shabby.

Still might have to get a M44 to go with it.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Stan 66" post=30994
              And I got it. Many thanks Les.

It looks like it is an arsenal refurb with no apparent blemishes or vices. I guess we'll see when the cosmoline comes off. Will be interesting to see the proofs and other stampings.

$450 for a ok looking service rifle including the full accessory set is not too shabby.

Still might have to get a M44 to go with it.
              Congrats mate! Yeah, those arsenal refurbs tend to look as if they just rolled off the production line; new/refurbished stocks, re-blued metalwork, etc and they tend to shoot pretty well for what they are. Now you need an M38/M44 to keep it company.

Only problem you have now is that you've got a good chance of developing Mosinitis like the rest of us, (just ask zhuk or Soviet Samurai here) and before you know it you'll have a half-dozen of the things in your safe.

Any of them will be able to hit paper at 300m (hell, I saw a SMLE hit well @ 700m the other week) If you just want fun and not that fussed about results, go with GSR's suggestion - an M44.

More enjoyable than any other Mosin (and not just at night lol)

Comment

Thanks to all those who provided advice here. We'll see how my Mosinitis progresses.

Now I have to decide whether to set up for reloading or just buy 4 spam cans of 7.62x54R. I have heaps of .311 projectiles (for 303) and they could be re-directed to my new calibre. All I need is 200 pieces of brass and I am sweet.

I am looking at stripper clips on eBay. Any hints on whether they actually work? They appear to be new manufacture and are cheap ($10 for 5).

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Stan 66" post=31087
                ...I am looking at stripper clips on eBay. Any hints on whether they actually work? They appear to be new manufacture and are cheap ($10 for 5).
                The cheap Chinese reproductions of early Russian clips do work however they are made of quite soft steel and the retaining tabs on either end bend easily, meaning that once you've used them once or twice they loosen up and your rounds start sliding around and falling out of them so you need to keep bending the tabs back in (and you don't want your rounds moving around in the clips because the cartridge rims lose the staggered formation that you've stacked them into the clip with and you can get jams and rimlock after then loading them into the rifle's magazine, despite the best efforts of the interrupter) . The Chinese ones also have a nasty habit of skinning your knuckles to the bone when you load the rifle in a hurry & you're not careful (ask me how I know...)

The charger clips that Lawrance sell are repros of later Soviet clips and are of far better quality, though not exactly cheap at $3.50 each. I've got a few dozen of the cheapies that I use to store loose rounds and for loading when plinking/sighting in at the range/shooting at brightly coloured stress-balls at Mudgee, and 5 of the dependable Lawrance ones that I use for quick reloads when shooting in formal comps.

Now I have to decide whether to set up for reloading or just buy 4 spam cans of 7.62x54R. I have heaps of .311 projectiles (for 303) and they could be re-directed to my new calibre. All I need is 200 pieces of brass and I am sweet.
              Definitely get some spam cans whilst it is still available, that stuff gets the best muzzle flash, just remember to clean your gun after using it.
              And get some dies and reload. Can even load HRBC Copperhawkes for a bit of cheap fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ex_reven" post=30913
                Imo fun and competitive are a little intertwined.

You can have fun without competing but if you are shooting the event regularly you want to at least progress and hold your own sort of thing.
                What he said. It gets old if your kit lets you down, or if it isn't working for you.

That said a 91/30 will hold its own. A M39 was a deliberate improvement for marksmanship. It's just a matter of the price difference ad how much you are willing to pay. I wouldn't be confidence of 'competitiveness' with an M44 due to both the limitations of the rifle and my own limitations, but at 100m, no problems.

Like any rifle, once you get the feel of it's own idiosyncrasies, 'tweak' it as needed and 'get into a groove' for the needs of match shooting, you're most of the way there.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Captain Mainwaring" post=31133
                  Originally posted by ex_reven" post=30913
                  Imo fun and competitive are a little intertwined.

You can have fun without competing but if you are shooting the event regularly you want to at least progress and hold your own sort of thing.
                  What he said. It gets old if your kit lets you down, or if it isn't working for you.

That said a 91/30 will hold its own. A M39 was a deliberate improvement for marksmanship. It's just a matter of the price difference ad how much you are willing to pay. I wouldn't be confidence of 'competitiveness' with an M44 due to both the limitations of the rifle and my own limitations, but at 100m, no problems.

Like any rifle, once you get the feel of it's own idiosyncrasies, 'tweak' it as needed and 'get into a groove' for the needs of match shooting, you're most of the way there.

Absolutely, at 100m the M44 more than holds its own. Like the 4 or 5 jungle carbines I saw in action at that distance yesterday (never seen so many in one spot before lol)

Hi Stan66,
                Well done on your new purchase, glad to be of help. I love spending other peoples money. You had better put up some pics when it turns up.
                Regards
                Les

Comment

Will definitely post some pics when I take delivery. Huge thanks for the tip on this one. The owner's phone was ringing hot but people wanted to haggle and kick tyres rather than stump up $450 (which I think is more than reasonable in the Australian market). I was lucky to get this one in this condition at that price.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Stan 66" post=31186
                    Will definitely post some pics when I take delivery. Huge thanks for the tip on this one. The owner's phone was ringing hot but people wanted to haggle and kick tyres rather than stump up $450 (which I think is more than reasonable in the Australian market). I was lucky to get this one in this condition at that price.
                    Yeah, press the rewind button to a year ago and people were spoilt for choice when it came to cheap Mosins here in OZ; there'd be a good dozen for sale on usedguns.com at any one time and most gunshops had at least a few for sale on their used racks.

Last Christmas you'd walk into places like Lawrance Ordnance and he'd have a couple of dozen 91/30 refurbs (all with excellent barrels) sitting in the racks behind the counter, with dozens more in storage out the back and you could just go through them all picking & chosing various features like hex receivers, ex-snipers, brass hanguard-caps, etc until you found the exact one you wanted. Go forward only 6 months later and all he had were very ordinary ones with pitted barrels and countersunk crowns, since the previous supply of good ones from his overseas wholesaler had all but dried up; walk in there today and he's got none whatsoever (there's a couple with shot-out barrels that he keeps for display purposes only) with no prospects of getting any more in either.

So I think a lot of people think that things are still the way they were in the "good old days" a year or so ago with an endless supply of cheap, good quality Mosins constantly coming onto the market and they figure that they can be picky and have room to haggle and bargain; for $450 with accessories included you got a great deal (pretty much what they were going for with accessories a year ago when they were plentiful) and were wise to snap it up while you could; I bet there's a few of those tyre-kickers wishing that they'd paid up on the spot & bought it while they still had the chance!

Certainly good buying at $450.. I watched it go on and had to restrain myself from buying it. Also speaking from experience I started at one not longer ago, now have 5 with 3 more to come and I have no desire to slow down . It is truly a disease!! Great you got a good deal, get ready for some fun!

Comment

Working...
                  X