Is 7.62x54r worth $265 for 440 rounds of milsurp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 7.62x54r worth $265 for 440 rounds of milsurp

was wondering if this is worth it I personally think getting a couple of these would be good does anyone here think this is a good deal considering its aus and 7.62x54r ammo isn't that common.
    http://www.lawranceordnance.com/shot_and_shell/ammunition_ex_military/7.62_russian.php
    Polish Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r Radom 1952 manufacture
    Brno model 2 1974 manufacture

One word 'Timshel'.

Couple of mates swear by the milsurp stuff, just be aware its corrosive and you gotta clean it out after you shoot it

Comment

I've got a crate of it stashed away, it shoots pretty well. Two things to remember: It's FMJ and corrosive. So you'll have to clean well after shooting, and some ranges won't let you use FMJ. I know some people pull the pills from these rounds and load them up with 150gn Soft points for pig shooting, so you don't have to worry too much about losing precious x54r brass!

Cheers,
      Alex

Comment

• scythe
        scythe commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you think $0.60 a shot is a bad price?

I can't remember seeing a spam can of milsurp 7.62 x 54R any cheaper than that in this country. I'm guessing Bulgarian which is fine.

If the rounds are lacquer sealed, pulling the bullets can be a real biatch.

Also the brass is likely to be Berdan primed so reloading is not practical. If that doesn't bother you, I recommend you snap em up.

Comment

Yes, it is Bulgarian and Berdan-primed ie corrosive. It is also the last 7.62x54 milsurp you're likely to see as Lawrance cannot get any more.

When this lot is gone, its probably gone for good in Aust (unless another importer can 1) be bothered and 2) source the ammo. Both unlikely)

Comment

• sn@abrc
          [email protected] commented
          Editing a comment
          OI, ZHUK!
          Do you know if the Bulgarian ammo is brass cased or steel? and what size primer?
          My Albanian ammo is brass/ small berdan primer- so far looking to be pretty good quality.
          Decaps easily with my hydraulic decapper, when I get my act together and get a few of the wifes projects out of the way, I will be locking myself in the shed to figure out the easiest way to convert my Albanian empties to shotgun primers / trailboss / copperhawkes projies for my 100 yard targets, and kid friendly loads,
          then with luck, regular cases / reduced load AR2208 / copperhawkes for 200 and maybe 300 yards [if it works]
          and save my good commercial brass / full house AR2208 / 150 grain Taipans for the longer range stuff.

If the Bulgarian ammo is brass- might be worth salvaging some to test.

stephen

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Is 7.62x54r worth $265 for 440 rounds of milsurp? Well, considering I recently bought an 880rd crate of the stuff and intend to buy another shortly, I would think so!

Milsurp ammo often tends to get a bad rap due to some of the badly stored, dirty, unreliable, hang-firing garbage that was floating around in years gone by (some of the Pakistani .303British milsurp I've come across springs to mind) however the mid-80's Bulgarian ammo that Lawrance Ordnance sells is of high quality and probably the best milsurp going around today in OZ for the price. I have compared it at the range with modern commercial 7.62x54r (Highland/PPU 150gn FMJ) which costs twice as much per round and found the milsurp to be cleaner burning (I suspect the propellant that Highland/PPU uses is black powder mixed with coal dust), consistent and more accurate; sure, the commercial stuff is reloadable however at 60c a shot for accurate and reliable milsurp that's being shot out of rifles such as the 91/30 with a designated acceptable accuracy of 4" at 100m, who would bother reloading anyway?

As for the ammo being "corrosive"? Well, all that means is that at the end of your day's shooting you need to give your rifle a good clean (which I do with all my rifles regardless of ammo used anyway), particularly in warm & humid coastal climates; Hoppes #9, which many of us use to clean and protect our firearms, was actually specifically formulated back in the day to neutralise residue from corrosive military ammunition. At the very least you simply need to put on the kettle and pour the boiling water down the breech, or grab a bottle of Windex (or any ammonia-based cleaner) and spray it down the bore. People carry on as if the second you fire off a round this "corrosive ammo" begins to eat into your barrel as if you'd just poured down sulphuric acid or nuclear waste or something, and this is simply not true; the primers contain mercuric salts which, if left in the bore for a longer period of time, will tend to attract moisture and promote corrosion which is why all military rifles of the day that used this ammunition came with cleaning rods & oiling kits and soldiers were expected to clean and maintain their rifles regularly.

Anyway, here's the link to detailed info and ballistics for this particular ammo (quick note; in the introduction the author states that in the 60 rounds they fired they had a couple of slow/dead primers. I've fired off literally hundreds of rounds of this same ammo & never experienced this, so go figure):

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo036.htm

I sometimes hear the old boys at the range during Service Rifle shoots reminiscing about the "good old days" 20-odd years ago when you could pick up a big crate of good-quality .303 milsurp for the price of a couple of cartons of beer; those days are now long gone so with that in mind I've decided to stockpile a few more crates of the Bulgarian while I can get it. Although this 7.62x54r milsurp is by no means rare on the world market, as zhuk previously said Lawrance won't be importing any more of it so unless someone else decides to bring some into OZ, once it's gone, it is gone.

Is $265 for 440-rds of 7.62x54R Bulgarian Light Ball ammo worth it??
        Do carnivorous mammals of the familia Ursidae defecate in densely forested areas?
        Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

The Bulgarian light ball cases are copper-washed steel.
          Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

Those must have been the days

Yeah Stephen, the DG freight would be a bastard to WA alright!

Does help that I live within walking distance of Lawrance and can double-park a wagon in the loading zone outside lol

Still wish I could buy more than 2 though...just in case this last shipment IS it, for good.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by zhuk" post=30693
              Does help that I live within walking distance of Lawrance and can double-park a wagon in the loading zone outside lol
              Haha I like my transport system better:
              First spam tin I bought, went into my backpack and was carried back to USYD, taken to an afternoon tutorial, and then home on the train.
              A few months later I bought a case. Simon goes "is your car nearby? we can help you carry it to the boot" me: "i'm catching the train home..."
              I walked through Central station with a big ol' Russian crate, and then sat on a train for 40 minutes with the crate at my feet copping really weird looks.

I too would like to find out if the crate counts as safe storage, because two sealed spam tins inside a nailed shut crate is sure as hell harder to open than the little cash-boxes most people keep their ammo in...

Cheers,
              Alex

Hey Zhuk

Do you reckon that a sealed spam can of 7.62x54R counts as appropriate safe storage by itself (i.e. doesn't need to be stored in another locked container?

Also, when I spoke to Jamie at Lawrance earlier today he stated that rifle ammo buyers need to bring a rego certificate for a rifle in that specific calibre. I thought that was for pistol ammo only. Am I going crazy or what?

I was hoping to get a 91/30 early next year and would like to get some milsurp ammo before I get the rifle.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Stan 66" post=30700
              Hey Zhuk

Do you reckon that a sealed spam can of 7.62x54R counts as appropriate safe storage by itself (i.e. doesn't need to be stored in another locked container?

Also, when I spoke to Jamie at Lawrance earlier today he stated that rifle ammo buyers need to bring a rego certificate for a rifle in that specific calibre. I thought that was for pistol ammo only. Am I going crazy or what?

I was hoping to get a 91/30 early next year and would like to get some milsurp ammo before I get the rifle.

Funny you should say that Stan,

I've been thinking just the same thing about spam cans...might ring FAR on Monday (and try to explain to them what constitutues a can lol)

I'm afraid James IS mistaken - its handgun ammo only.. I bought a brick of .22 at Safari today for my trainer and it required no rego papers. I don't think Lawrance sell much ammo, so mabe they've got confused on it.

Quote from FAR website

What do I need to buy ammunition?

The person purchasing the ammunition must produce to the firearms dealer, at the time of sale:
              * Identification with name and address of the buyer, and
              * A current firearms licence or permit for a firearm which takes that ammunition or permit which authorises the buyer to
              purchase the ammunition, and

Where the ammunition is subject to the requirements of section 65A of the Act (ammunition for pistols), in addition to the
              above, the buyer must produce at the time of sale:
              * The registration certificate for the firearm taking that type of ammunition, or
              * An issued permit to acquire for a firearm which takes that ammunition.

Sections 65 & 65A of the Act

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/..._July_2013.pdf

In Victoria, if you attached a latch and padlock to the crate, it would then qualify as a 'locked receptacle' and would be acceptable.
            As is, the crate is not locked and thus would not pass muster.

Comment

Working...
            X