Why no Aussie No.4 Mk1 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no Aussie No.4 Mk1 ?

Just wondered to know. I heard some stories like the commonwealth didn't want to supply us with them or Lithgow didn't want to make the new lee enfields.
    Any of them true?

Originally posted by Bull" post=8944
    Just wondered to know. I heard some stories like the commonwealth didn't want to supply us with them or Lithgow didn't want to make the new lee enfields.
    Any of them true?
    Too hard to change tooling, besides, there was a war going on.....

There were some delivered, and I think they were mainly issued to Navy or RAAF.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

• Roughneck Jase
      Roughneck Jase commented
      Editing a comment
      I know that the Volunteer Defence Corps (Australia's own Home Guard) were the major uses of the No.4 MkI* rifle (both Longbranch and Savage-made rifles) during WWII. I also know a small number of No.4 MkI* rifles found their way into the hands of frontline troops in New Guinea during WWII.

Any of them true?
    Did the Australian Army use the #4 ?

If you look close enough of the front cover of ' A Bastard if a Place' the nearest digger is carrying one in New Guinea

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Win88" post=9171
      Any of them true?
      Did the Australian Army use the #4 ?

If you look close enough of the front cover of ' A Bastard if a Place' the nearest digger is carrying one in New Guinea

Go to the Australian War Memorial website, go to the Collection, set the search engine to "Second World War" and type in "Volunteer Defence Corps" into the search engine, You'll find a lot of pictures of the VDC troops carrying Lee-Enfield No.4 MkI* rifles alongside the No.1 MkIII* SMLE and the Pattern 1914 Enfield rifle.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I always got told the poms wanted royalties for the new design, even in war. So OZ said stuff ya we will keep the No1 mK3.

• Omega_Rifles
      Omega_Rifles commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Roughneck Jase" post=9544
      Go to the Australian War Memorial website, go to the Collection, set the search engine to "Second World War" and type in "Volunteer Defence Corps" into the search engine, You'll find a lot of pictures of the VDC troops carrying Lee-Enfield No.4 MkI* rifles alongside the No.1 MkIII* SMLE and the Pattern 1914 Enfield rifle.
      Aswell as the No1 MK 1 .......... P.S Roughneck Jase , check your PM

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_weaponry_of_the_Australian_Army mentions the No4 MK 1 being issued to the Volunteer Defence Corps .

It all comes down to the fact that we were able to mass-produce the No.1 MkIII* SMLE rifle faster than the British.

Comment

The No.4s have a bit heavier barrel and some find the sights easier to see than the SMLE (maybe when your eyes start to go, don't ask me how I know lol)

Canadian Longbranch manufacture is often mentioned due to the luxury of not having factories within Luftwaffe-range, so their wartime expediency was not quite as expedient lol

Comment

Working...
      X