luger po8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luger po8

I am getting the impression that this is a classic gun that I know nothing about as it was on the wrong side of the war (or I was on the wrong side of the lake depending on how you see it). So what is the cartridge on a Luger P08 anybody know what they were shooting.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

The Luger was/is a 9mm. They also came in the smaller .30 luger

eta, I should say they started as .30 luger then 9mm.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• Tornado-Technologies
      Tornado-Technologies commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Morgo" post=24154
      The Luger was/is a 9mm. They also came in the smaller .30 luger

eta, I should say they started as .30 luger then 9mm.
      Don't forget rare.45ACP version!

From what I have read, P-08 reliability in combat was okay, not stellar, but certainly not awful. Tolerances are tight and frequent cleaning was required.

The primary reason for transitioning to the P-38 (and just about anything else in 9mm Para, 9mm kurz and 7.65) was cost. The P-08 was just too expensive to make although production did continue at Mauser up to mid 1942 (IIRC).

Slave labour just wasn't good enough to produce a workable P-08.

FWIW, in Germany no-one knows the pistol as a Luger. They are usually just called a 'Parabellum'.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Stan 66" post=28926

FWIW, in Germany no-one knows the pistol as a Luger. They are usually just called a 'Parabellum'.
      Stan from my experience the Germans & Austrians quite commonly referred to her as the 'Null Acht' (Zero Eight)) or just as Luger.

Hickok45 recently got his hands on one and did a couple of videos:

They were such a cool design. Lithgow small arms museum has quite a few on display, including the artillery model with the drum magazine.

Cheers,
    Alex

Comment

They are infectious when you start collecting them...one is never enough! When fed a diet of quality ammo they are a very reliable pistol and will normally group better than a military issue 1911. When the Germans went from the P08 to the P38 they did it because the pistol had better features(reliability in extreme conditions, double action etc..). The P38 took as much effort to make as the Luger because it had more parts(think exposed hammer, double action trigger etc..)
      Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Working...
      X