Belmont SSAA Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belmont SSAA Range

I'm heading down to Belmont this morning to confirm some loads in the .223 and .308. If anyone else is heading down come and say hello, I've got a black Gyprock polo shirt on.

That ******* highway really shits me sometimes. I allowed myself an hour and a bit to get to the range from Caboolture, expecting the highway to be shit. But no, the ***** thing was flowing the whole way through. Even though the road works. Now I'm sitting here in the carpark an hour and a half ***** early. At least I can take my pick of benches.

Comment

Scottmatt, remember it's Friday 13th today.

Almost anything can happen and it probably will.

Thanks...

Comment

Seeing as I got there so early yesterday I decided to put some targets out at 300 & 400m and see how I'd go. I used the ballistic calculator from this forum to get me on the paper and went for it. I was pretty happy with the groups but I can't show them because they would let me go and take them down. When I let the ro know I was going out to 300 to get them, all I got was,
        " no you're not"
        Me- I thought you weren't able to go out there on Saturday and Sunday only.
        Ro- You're never aloud out there. Unless you get here before 08:00.
        Me- Then what are they there for.
        Ro- To shoot at.
        Me- (starting to get a bit confused) Then how am I supposed to get them down?
        Ro- You will come back at 5:00pm to get them.
        Me- No I won't.
        So, that was that. It was the first time I've ever left targets for someone else to remove and I hope they're happy. Because I wasn't.

Comment

• Bradaus
          Bradaus commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by scottmatt" post=1419
          Seeing as I got there so early yesterday I decided to put some targets out at 300 & 400m and see how I'd go. I used the ballistic calculator from this forum to get me on the paper and went for it. I was pretty happy with the groups but I can't show them because they would let me go and take them down. When I let the ro know I was going out to 300 to get them, all I got was,
          " no you're not"
          Me- I thought you weren't able to go out there on Saturday and Sunday only.
          Ro- You're never aloud out there. Unless you get here before 08:00.
          Me- Then what are they there for.
          Ro- To shoot at.
          Me- (starting to get a bit confused) Then how am I supposed to get them down?
          Ro- You will come back at 5:00pm to get them.
          Me- No I won't.
          So, that was that. It was the first time I've ever left targets for someone else to remove and I hope they're happy. Because I wasn't.
          That's been the rules since... I don't know... forever? Pretty sure there is, or at least used to be a copy of them on every bench, as well as displayed in a various number of places around the range.

To let people out past 200, they have to close down both the rifle and pistol ranges. They only do that for competitions.

Good Old SSAA Belmont, those blokes never change.
        Good to see them promoting the Sport of Shooting with such vigor.

Too many old guard who think they own the range.
        What the SSAA seems to forget is that the Members own the Club, not a privileged Few.

Thanks...

Comment

Need to go to SSAA Ripley instead. Much more relaxed atmosphere

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Im a member of belmont too and find some of their 'quirks' frustrating. I didn't know of the ipswich range so will he heading out there in the nxt few weeks to check it out.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by TheDude" post=7050
            Need to go to SSAA Ripley instead. Much more relaxed atmosphere
            Couldn't agree more about SSAA Ipswich (Ripley)
            There are a number of great people at Belmont. I shot there for a long time, at one stage I was shooting at least 4 times a week with both pistol and rifle, but in the end I got so frustrated and dismayed with the club and attitude that I almost gave shooting away. A friend shooting at Ripley invited me to a shoot a night match there, I shot a day match the next day and signed up there and then,and resigned from Belmont. I'm actually exited about shooting again.

BM

I'll be joining the guys at northarm from now on. That's if they'll have me of course.

Comment

• MrCarbine
            MrCarbine commented
            Editing a comment
            Visited a few times when I was in Brissy. I can't work these blokes out.
            For a SSAA range I was very disappointed.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by scottmatt" post=7582
            I'll be joining the guys at northarm from now on. That's if they'll have me of course.
            Mate,
            I'm also from Caboolture and am a member of SSAA Rocksberg.. Like 15 mins away, just down Caboolture River Road. If you haven't already checked them out make sure you do!

Jase

Come next door and try f-class with the big boys. We zero at 300 yards, shoot out to 1000 yards. Several clubs are very welcoming to new shooters. Club rifles are available for those without the appropriate gear, and mentors will be assigned to ensure you hit the black at any range out to 1000y.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Sumo" post=7630
            Come next door and try f-class with the big boys. We zero at 300 yards, shoot out to 1000 yards. Several clubs are very welcoming to new shooters. Club rifles are available for those without the appropriate gear, and mentors will be assigned to ensure you hit the black at any range out to 1000y.
            How does one just "come next door"? Which club do I need to join and what's the go with practicing on that big range? Is that thing open for practice or only competition?

So far the longest shot I've tried to make is 200y at Belmont, I'd rather like to increase that distance.

Cheers

Sumo I tried to get a start with one of the the clubs shooting f class at belmont but no one responded to any emails I sent. So I pretty much gave up, thinking you guys must have enough members. I did get a start shooting f class at northarm last week end and they are a great bunch of guys. I don't think I could have been made any more welcome if they tried.
          Gybrid I have been shooting at rocksberg for quite a while but I really want to start shooting f class with the longer distances

Comment

• Maverick
            Maverick commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by MrCarbine" post=7623
            Visited a few times when I was in Brissy. I can't work these blokes out.
            For a SSAA range I was very disappointed.
            ************************************************** ************************************************** *************************************

Originally posted by scottmatt" post=8746
            Sumo I tried to get a start with one of the the clubs shooting f class at belmont but no one responded to any emails I sent. So I pretty much gave up, thinking you guys must have enough members. I did get a start shooting f class at northarm last week end and they are a great bunch of guys. I don't think I could have been made any more welcome if they tried.
            Gybrid I have been shooting at rocksberg for quite a while but I really want to start shooting f class with the longer distances
            ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************

Sadly this is a common story for this branch of SSAA, the story stays the same but only the names will change.

I think many clubs and organizations forget that the members own these clubs and not a few selected members..
            After all these clubs will quickly take your cash but give will very little in return and general be rude to boot.

This does not paint a good picture for potential new members and young people especially.
            We had some refugee's from Belmont just last weekend wanting to join our club.

It was a Father and his two boys who was very disappointed with Belmont's attitude.
            Shooting is suppose to be fun and the same time safe.

It has been highlighted by a fellow shooter and forum member.

This person made this statement to me just the other day which I wholeheartedly agree with.

" I have previously made the mistake of stubbornly continuing to expect better of shooters, only to be disappointed over and over again. "

Thanks....

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************

Oh and tomorrow is an open day at Belmont. Definitely worth going to;

Belmont open day

Comment

There is of coarse the whinging I always seem to get when i go there and want to shoot some clays. Either from smiley in the office or who ever the RO is at the time. My major problem with Belmont is the idea that they won't let licensed pistol shooters on their range if they are not an SSAA pistol club member due to safety concerns while at the same time they have 1 RO for what can be up to 40-50 people at a go on weekends, not all of whom are licensed.

Comment

• Bradaus
              Bradaus commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Trapper" post=8933
              There is of coarse the whinging I always seem to get when i go there and want to shoot some clays. Either from smiley in the office or who ever the RO is at the time. My major problem with Belmont is the idea that they won't let licensed pistol shooters on their range if they are not an SSAA pistol club member due to safety concerns while at the same time they have 1 RO for what can be up to 40-50 people at a go on weekends, not all of whom are licensed.
              I won't point out that all members of the pistol club are required to become RO's if they want to use the range for practice... cus that would mean your 1 RO to 40-50 people would be more realistically 40-50 RO's to 1 non RO...

Could you tell me what pistol clubs allow licensed pistol shooters to repeatedly use their range without ever requiring to become a member?

I go to the Belmont range twice sometimes three times a week (when competition tuesday nights is on) .
            I dont have a problem with the guys there in fact I quite like them ,they keep everybody safe and we all get to shoot.
            Have I been missing something ? I have meet many really decent guys there just shooting and having fun.
            I think if you want to shoot 200 plus metres why not join a club that shoots this distances ?
            I understand guys are busy and cant always get to the club shoots but it takes a really long time for someone to walk out to 400 metres and back .
            The place is normally packed with guys so I understand them enforcing this rule or instead of a couple of guys complaining about SSAA Belmont ,
            A couple of hundred would be complaining.
            kind regards Ben

Comment

• sirus17
              sirus17 commented
              Editing a comment
              no seriously they should fix it, for the amount we pay for membership, then the amount we pay for range fee's they are rolling in the money while laughing at us,
              the frames that hold the targets up and a POS and most of the people that work behind the counter are very rude, the RO's are hit and miss, there are a couple i like and a couple that i dont,

for the money being dropped there that place should be a hell of alot nicer.

and as for the long distance targets, maybe open them up to be checked once an hour or once every 2 hours, not every CF because as has been said it takes ages to walk out there, but i dont think its fair that to use them you have to be there before opening and to collect be there at close.

Guys I never meant for this thread to be one to bag out ssaa Belmont. I was having a shit of a day ( having to go to a mates funeral) and I should not have written what I did. I believe that ssaa does have a place in our lifestyle as it's a great place for people to learn the ins and outs of a rifle range. I think they do need to put some more standing range rule signs up for people who don't shoot there all the time.
            Bradaus I know ssaa don't shoot f-class. I think if you reread the thread you'll realise I was answering Sumo about coming next door to shoot with QRA.
            Varminator I won't shoot down on the lower section of the range because of the pistol club. I've had a projectile bounce on the ground infront of me and then land on my foot. Not cool as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Thread hijack again however...

Imagine with all that incoming money if they had electronic targets at each bench and you could nominate which range you are shooting on from 50m to 300m, and never have to walk out or have a decease fire again, More and more rifle clubs around Australia are installing electronic targets. Cool if SSAA Belmont had them.

Comment

• Varminator
                Varminator commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Sumo" post=10537
                Thread hijack again however...

Imagine with all that incoming money if they had electronic targets at each bench and you could nominate which range you are shooting on from 50m to 300m, and never have to walk out or have a decease fire again, More and more rifle clubs around Australia are installing electronic targets. Cool if SSAA Belmont had them.
                That's a brilliant idea! I wonder what costs would be involved - I know its not cheap.

I was at Olympic Shooting Centre on the weekend and they had all that electronic target setup there, very impressive watching how it all works (boy is that place a ghost town though, very under utilised from what I've seen a heard, shame really as its a beautiful place and a great setup, shame they don't have any centrefire rifle facilities but.

However the shotgun facilities are petty good - had a ball there.
            Working...
            X