What heavy product to use for weighting down shooting rest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What heavy product to use for weighting down shooting rest?

Hi Fellas, i was just wondering what product is available to fill range bags for weighting down my lead sled other than lead shot? Lead shot is too expensive and plain sand is too light. Also where to buy any products you can think of? Cheers Scott

Just use road base or sand...that's all I use.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      how big is the port that you have to fill it from? you can get boxes of used wheel weights from any tyre shop for free - just chuck in a few kilos of those and fill the rest with sand etc

Garnet sand AKA sandblasting grit.

It's about 50% heavier than regular sand and fine enough to fill benchrest bags through a funnel, it also lacks down well as the sharp particle shape grips together unlike the rounded particles of some sands

It's $22 for 25kg from industrial suppliers like hare and Forbes. I happen to buy 50kg 2 weeks ago.

Edit: for benchrest competitions lead shot is illegal.

Steve

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I have used gym weights with success - the sled is designed to take a 10kg barbell weight - pick these up fro Kmart or Gumtree.

Probably out of line but have you considered a muzzle brake?

If your rifle is generating enough recoil to have you thinking of ways to weigh down the sled ruring range visits then its probably a good candidate for a brake which will also tame recoil when its not on a lead sled.

Steve

Comment

Working...
    X