HOW'D YOU GO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW'D YOU GO.

I thought I'd start a thread off about how you shot, where you shot and just generally all the excuses why you didn't shoot possibles.
    I'll start it off with my weekend down at Cessnock Rifle Club. I'm just visiting the in-laws and I brought my omark with me. We were shooting at 700m in reasonable conditions for Cessnock. We had a bit of mirage which kept changing and a wind from behind that kept changing shoulders it wanted to blow over. But for cessnock it wasn't to bad. It's my first shoot at 700m and only my second attempt at f class, with my first time being last week end up home at Northarm. I most certainly didn't break any records with my scores but I'm happy with my progress considering how new I am to form of shooting. My first target I shot a 54.2 finishing with two 6.1 and two 6.0
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20131005_133400_2013-10-06.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	26032
    The second target started with a 6.1 and didn't do much after that that's worth talking about. I still ended up with a 53.1 but I didn't get a photo of the target because I simply just forgot to.

So guys like the title says,"How did you go".I'm hoping that there is lot better scores out there from all over the country, like my brother-in-law, Bob, his second target shot a 59.8 dropping one on last shot. Boy that guy can shoot.

I shot TR yesterday at Belmont at 900. In first stage my score was level with the leaders but come stage 2, elevation was very bad with outers and birds. Stage one was shot with a thumb print on my shooting lens but the was cleaned ogg for stage 2. You can't imagine my disappointment
    At home last night, an inspection of the bedding revealed no oil or crud in the works and come to think of it, my score in stage 2 last week at 800, was 54-4, so I felt justified in having high expectations for yesterday. I'm experimenting with new rings too so considering that, I was doing pretty good, I thought.
    At a rough guess, maybe the marker was lifting the frame inconsistently, which would give me more, sometimes less of the target to aim at. I use a 5.0 ring and centre the whole target .
    Waddayas reckkon??

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Scott, don't be too hard on yourself.
      The guys at Cesssnock will all tell you that the 700yd mound brings all thier scores down.
      I was the same last time I shot 700 there. I think it might have something to do with the fact that the clubhouse sits just infront of the 700yd mound & the gap in the trees around the clubhouse creates a bit of a corridore for wind to screw you over in the 1st 100yds. You can't see it because there isn't any flags there
      Shame I couldn't get there last week.
      800 this Sat, Keen as ....

Mick.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by okeefenokee" post=9555
      At home last night, an inspection of the bedding revealed no oil or crud in the works and come to think of it, my score in stage 2 last week at 800, was 54-4, so I felt justified in having high expectations for yesterday.
      Waddayas reckkon??
      Sorry, I missed this earlier.
      54.4 from a possible 50? (F/TR)...hmmmmm
      You guys shoot 11 scoring rounds?
      Thats weird!

Waddo I reckon?
      How long you been shooting F/TR ?
      Sounds like your do'n OK to me. Any one who can shoot with them funny sights is OK in my book (even if you do slip an extra one in to bump the score up )

Mick.

Yeh they were all commenting on this being the hardest distance, which made me even happier because these are the highest scores I've had. Mind you, I've only had one other weekend to compare it to. I probably won't be down uuntil after chrisy now so I might catch you one weekend next year. And have a good shoot at 800m.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      While not a club shoot, I did set out a range a fortnight ago to have a play at 1000yds

I couldn't see my 1st 4 shots so I was dialing around a bit before I worked it out, still they all landed on the target & I'm pretty pleased that about 1/2 of them went in the 1 MOA ring (bassically the 6 ring in F Class) without me even being able to see where my sighters had gone.

Mick.

I had another go at f class today at Northarm and I had a fun day playing in the wind at 500m. After changing loads up to 46.6grn I was hoping for some good results and I was pretty happy with my two targets. The first one was only 53.0 but showed some promise with a nice flat string of shots

Name:	20131012_151629_2013-10-12.jpg
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	29797
    The second target was a lot better with my highest score to date with 56.1 and still nice and flat

Name:	20131012_154957.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	29798

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Gee, youvé got that Omark going OK.

Ivé kinda been avoiding this post :lol:

I had an ordinary day at Cessnock on Sat,
      I rocked up to shoot 800yds which was on the callendar to find that they were shooting 700 again to make up a missed round in thier club championship (Ripped off by 100yds )

A horrible day weatherwise, it was nice & still when I left home but got real squally once I got to the range.

First set a 50.1 with the remaining rounds of a load (168gr Amax) that has gone off the boil for me a bit (although it shot pretty good on the Gongs at Coolah a fortnight earlier) This load was shooting really well at 0.2gr over max but showing some pressure signs so I neck turned them & backed off the neck tension but they seem to have dropped off the node (was doing 2930fps)

Second set a 50.2 with the same load + an extra 0.2gr to try & get them back up onto that node (now that they are not showing pressure any more)
      Although this target doesn't look all that flash, I came away pretty happy with it.
      A few of the shots were trying to get dialed in with the slightly different load & they were going pretty much where I expected each one to go, nice & consistant which leads me to think they might be back on the node again because it would put 2 ontop of each other & when I dialled to correct it, it would put the next two ontop of each other again (but not where I wanted them ). Just need to get the chrony out at Seaham again soon & play with them a bit to see what they are doing.
      A few wide shots I called as soon as I had fired before they even showed up on the monitor. Just not really on my game at the time, had my mind on other things.

Mick.

Yeh I really can't complain considering I only paid $290 for the gun.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Your 1st target there is showing 96mm of vertical at 500yds.
      That's a pretty good indication that your rifle & load is shooting well (but your wind reading stinks as much as mine )

Mick.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by scottmatt" post=15225
      Yeh I really can't complain considering I only paid $290 for the gun.
      That's pretty awesome value for money. If your considering selling it to buy a custom set up let me know . Not being a target shooter your scores don't mean much to me but the ferals still wouldn't stand much of a chance at longer ranges with you guys shooting like that .

Yes it is
    And yes it does

Comment

Well here goes. What a shocker. I changed my mind on the powder weight and tried the 44.3grn of 2208. It shot really well at 100m but was a bit slow. To slow for a windy 500yrd. My first target was 49.1 and the second was 56.0 with 11 scoring shots (qld f class) . I'm glad that I tried them, but I won't be using them again.
      Now, I just need to find another excuse for next week.

Comment

From what I have been told it stems back from before you could load your own rounds and had to use factory ammo. It was so you didn't have 4 rounds left over from the block of 100 after shooting four days worth of targets. Truth or bull I'm not sure, but it adds up.

Comment

Nah, somebody had 11 toes :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes sense Scott.
            I figured it was because out of the typical 50rnd box (after market ammo box) it would be 2 meetings to a box.
            I often have a few rnds left that I fire off at the end just so I have an empty box to re-load.

Now to throw a spanner in the mix.
            What if your sighters are on the money & you don't scratch one or both? (yes it does happen)

Mick.

P.s ScottMatt
            It seems this is/has been an F Class & F/TR thread. (& loving it)
            Do you think you should Edit your 1st post & tweak the tittle as an F/TR & FClass How'd you go tittle?
            The Mods might also consider moving it to the LR section.

I did think about that but what about the bench rest boys and girls and the juniors shooting 3p, even pistol shooters. I thought it would be cool to see how people are shooting from all over the place. But if it keeps going the way it is now then I don't have a problem with it being changed.

Comment

Today I shot in my first prize shoot at North Arm Rifle Club. Today we shot one detail at 300m, 400yrd and 500yrd. Tomorrow we shoot 500yrd and two details at 600yrd.
            300m was in near perfect conditions and I shot a 54.1 It's the first time I've shot at 300m and it prooved to be a bit harder than I thought it would be.

Name:	20131026_092552.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	35758
            Then onto 400yrd and the wind picked up and I couldn't make a windage call to save my life. 49.0 was the best I could come up with.
            Just as we broke for lunchthe heavens opened up and boy, didn't it rain.
            After lunch, the sun was out, the wind was still blowing, but I got my shit together with a 53.2 .
            The days aggregate has put me 8.0 points behind the leader in f standard b. I'm pretty happy with my efforts for my first go at something like this.
            Hopefully I'll be able to stop shooting 4's tomorrow and pick up some extra points.

Comment

• El-Skippo
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              I shot a 73.3 out a 76.5

2sighters and 15 to count ( due to all the older members ) who mainly shoot service ( the few f class shooters on the day get scored with 5.1 not 6.1 its no biggie. But will change when I get to Vic and get into proper target shooting.

At 500 yards. ( I hadn't no ammo for the 6.5x47 ) so I switched the barrel back to my .308 ( guesstimated the zero ) I forgot to write it down last time but the result was pretty good/I was wrapped with considering.

Dot off a bipod and bag ( no front rest for me )

I gave up shooting for 10 years and after coming back I was RS at wind reading. I won't give you advice as you are probably getting some. Just remember, it's early days and hang on

Comment

Sunday morning at 500yrd in the NARC prize shoot gave me my personal best score of 57.3 . So you can imagine that I was pretty happy with my start to the day.

Name:	20131027_085230.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	36446
              I then went on to stuff up my second detail @ 600yrd by shooting the wrong target on my fifth shot. Plenty of excuses for this silly mistake, but none worth noting. I still got a 47.1 for my troubles, which included a zero for my rookie behavior.

Name:	20131027_105244.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	36447
              My final 600yrd target for the week end I scored a 53.1 which put me second for the day.

Name:	20131027_105244.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	36447
              If I hadn't of shot the wrong target in the first 600yrd detail (which was a high 6) I would have won the day and the weekend in f standard b.
              Live and learn they say.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry guys I don't know what happened with the pictures but the second and third picture are the same and are of the second detail. The attachment at the bottom is the last detail shot. I don't know how to fix it but you'll work it out....hopefully.

Comment

Hey Skip, if you're shooting 15 scoring shots at a possible of 5.1 each, wouldn't that give you a possible total of 75.15
                  That means that you only dropped two points which is not bad shooting at all. Well done sir.

Comment

• El-Skippo
                    Skip commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I thought the .1 got made into a 1.0 after 10x.1 ???

Hence the 76.5 ( that's how it was scored yesterday by my scorer )

I am not too bothered at the end of the day how they score at the club, just there for a bit of fun. I won't get into real target shooting till the move east. I hear there are a few badges to win for hitting flys and such.
                Working...
                X