X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belmont

Hi all,

Anyone planning on heading to Belmont tomorrow for a shoot? I have to Re sight my .22 and test the new .308. :P

Maybe there but wont be until 3ish if I manage to get there.

What time are you planning on being there ?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, probably get there just before 1 so I can put some paper out first.

hey got a question on range rules out at belmont. are you likely to be able to shoot say 50 rounds per hour out there. because I heard you are sort of restricted to a slower rate of fire. Is this still the case? anybody know how many rounds you are allowed to load in the clip at one time?
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Laflamme" post=21279
      hey got a question on range rules out at belmont. are you likely to be able to shoot say 50 rounds per hour out there. because I heard you are sort of restricted to a slower rate of fire. Is this still the case? anybody know how many rounds you are allowed to load in the clip at one time?
      Rifles are single load only - as for how many rounds well last time I was there it was as many as you could shoot between each cease fire.

• Shini
      Shini commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Laflamme" post=21279
      They limit you to 1 box of ammo per half hour with the hire centrefire rifles but there is not restriction on how fast you can shoot your own as long as to follow the single load standing range order.

I am not sure if they limit the hire ones as such, you can buy as many rounds you like for them, the RO's usually get told of this and have to watch the hire rifle operators, we usually help the at some stage anyway and mention the barrel should not get too hot to touch as it is preferred for the life of the rifle. Most people follow this just fine.

As for your own as many as others have said you can fire in the range open times, we watch them too and make a note not to buy one of these rifles

One guy had a new rifle, he asked me to show him how to clean it, he had fired about 3.5 boxes of ammo, did not think it strange until he asked how to remove the bolt to clean it, no biggy, did it but touched the barrel just out of curiosity, should have bought some bacon and eggs for it as they would have been sizzling in seconds. Also know he did not give it a clean after picking it up as when I asked he said nah mate it's new???

Comment

Whats the deal with the 1 round thing??

This must be a SSAA thing yeah??

Comment

• Varminator
        Varminator commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Dan R" post=24891
        Whats the deal with the 1 round thing??

This must be a SSAA thing yeah??
        Nope I think you will find its the owners of Belmont's rule. I've been to a few SSAA ranges now and this is the only one that has this rule so it's the owners not that make the rules not the SSAA.

I for the life of me cannot understand the reason for this rule. I'm not getting it.
      "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Laflamme" post=24921
        I for the life of me cannot understand the reason for this rule. I'm not getting it.
        One word comes to mind here, SAFETY, for your self and everyone else using the range. Have been to a lot of ranges with the single round loading rule and don't have a problem with it, we all know we do not need any accidents on our ranges that will give the anti-gun lobby an excuse to close us down

okay thank you I'm with you. Here is what I don't get what is the safety concern that one round in the gun (be it magazine, floor plate, tube) as apposed to allowing the full magazine in the gun is attempting to avoid. You still have to drop the mag, clear the chamber, put the weapon on safe etc. What is the safety concern the one round at a time is attempting to avoid. The range officer still has to clear the rifle does he not?

Comment

• S12A
        S12A commented
        Editing a comment
        Personally i think the rule is terrible and caters for a very low denominator of people who must be absolutely hopeless,

At each cease fire the range officer visually inspects every rifle , also you canno handle any rifle during cease fires. Magazines create zero risk in my opinion there would have to be a very comical and strange set of circumstances resulting in a problem from magazines

1 round
      1 round
      1 round

So "Magazine out bolt open and show clear" Means nothing... Damn

Comment

Actually one more thing...

To me it makes a better case to the Antis instead of a 1 in 1 quadrillion chance of something going wrong to say "Hey well this club only allows 1 round per shot with no need for magazines" You see where I am going here??

common sense obviously has no justice at that range I think I will stick to the other side of Belmont

Comment

• S12A
          S12A commented
          Editing a comment
          I wont go on the other side since they decided i could have been an undercover cop so treated me like garbage.

The single loading rule is crazy though, especially when it sits next to the pistol club that doesnt have that restriction.

The single loading rule comes from bench resters, you see they like to have a coffee and shit between each shot.... when they are standing around they don't want to be "annoyed" by people trying to have fun with their toys.... They also don't like muzzle brakes and big bangs....
        I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Super6one" post=25583
          The single loading rule comes from bench resters, you see they like to have a coffee and shit between each shot.... when they are standing around they don't want to be "annoyed" by people trying to have fun with their toys.... They also don't like muzzle brakes and big bangs....
          Or Blackpowder shooters.....or military rifle shooters.............or pretty much anyone who doesn't shoot benchrest discipline.

This question re why single loading has been going on for 20 odd years and I actually found a solution to the problem, shoot elsewhere.

• Shooting Sports
          Shooting Sports commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Super6one" post=25583
          I used to do a lot of testing of varmint loads in my Custom .220Swift (MagnaPorted). The BR'ers would look down their noses when I was getting groups from the noisy beast that was equal to some of their precious 6mmPPC loads. So after a few glares and snarly looks I would retrieve the .338WM (with Muzzle Brake) out of the case and let a couple go. The dust would rain from the roof like summer rain.

I shoot at Ripley and they have the same single shot rule. The times i've wanted to test mag loads or to try out the new rossi circuit judge havent been a problem, just ask the RO and you're good to go

Comment

When I started to RO there I was given the rules to read, it was among them, I asked on it and some others, main reason is safety, a lot new shooters go there and cannot even load a mag let alone clear a rifle etc, they take time, tube mags unless you cycle it you cannot tell if they are loaded or not etc.

It was a rule passed somewhere and we must stick to it, I like to load my mags as much as anyone else but it does not really bother me to load single rounds only, maybe came from the musket fellas feeling a little less adequate

That being said we usually have to ask at least 5 people everyday when I work to not load mags and the single round bit is said every time over the mike before the range opens, some people still get it wrong, some even do it on the sly, guess it really depends if loading a mag is more important to you than having a shot at targets to 500m in relatively good company (sometimes you meet others ) and great facilities, if so then you are free to go elsewhere, me I am happy to go there.

You can ask an RO to supervise you anytime for a function check etc if you want also.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by AusScotty77" post=26529
            When I started to RO there I was given the rules to read, it was among them, I asked on it and some others, main reason is safety, a lot new shooters go there and cannot even load a mag let alone clear a rifle etc, they take time, tube mags unless you cycle it you cannot tell if they are loaded or not etc.

It was a rule passed somewhere and we must stick to it, I like to load my mags as much as anyone else but it does not really bother me to load single rounds only, maybe came from the musket fellas feeling a little less adequate

That being said we usually have to ask at least 5 people everyday when I work to not load mags and the single round bit is said every time over the mike before the range opens, some people still get it wrong, some even do it on the sly, guess it really depends if loading a mag is more important to you than having a shot at targets to 500m in relatively good company (sometimes you meet others ) and great facilities, if so then you are free to go elsewhere, me I am happy to go there.

You can ask an RO to supervise you anytime for a function check etc if you want also.
            That's telling them Scotty! :P :lol:

• Roughneck Jase
            Roughneck Jase commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by AusScotty77" post=26529

That's true, AusScotty77. I've been shooting my rifles at Belmont over well over 12 years and the RO's had no problems with me (or anybody else) asking them to observe me when I shoot with a full magazine.

I'LL see what I can do!

Comment

Whats with all the agro about guys shooting benchrest ? Last time I looked everyone was shooting at targets at the range. Did I miss the dear ,rabbits etc that all the hunters were shooting at when they were at the range ? Benchrest guys are just the same as everyone else at the range and as far as the bad looks we all give everyone I think your imagination is in over drive on that one , last time I went shooting all guns are loud thats why we wear ear protection. The guys hanging crap on others says more about themselves than anyone else. Have a chat to us next time there is some pretty good blokes shooting benchrest.
            kind regards Ben

Comment

I originally asked the question because while yes I am a hunter I do like to target shoot. But I need to learn to shoot like I hunt. pigs don't wait for you to get ready and supported before you shoot them. I need to get real comfortable with the cycle of safety, shoulder, aim, fire, cycle, safety/shoot again. You can't do that one round at a time. It sets up all sorts of bad habits that while great for target shooting don't work out real well when pig hunting. The more automatic the process is the better, and that takes time with a specific gun. You just have to spend a couple of hundred rounds with your rifle. That is hard to do when you make constant artificial breaks in your training cycle. Not a GREAT big inconvenience but enough to make me go darn. I had a friend who probably had a bad day at the range. Unfortunately it was his first day. He went there it was the closest and arguably the best thinking he would learn 308. He unfortunately (he blamed this rule I was not there I don't know) only got to fire 40 rounds in 4 hours. He came home sold the gun knowing he was stuck on the gold coast for 4 years and went into pistol shooting. He does have an intolerant streak in him so he would not have tried it a second time. I probably would have.

Comment

• S12A
                S12A commented
                Editing a comment
                its not really great for target shooting either Laflamme , unless your locked in on some rest gadget it means you have to disturb you position rather than just run the bolt.
                no good for consistency really.

cheers
            Working...
            X