Do RO's count as supervising adults?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do RO's count as supervising adults?

    Hey me and a mate are not 18 yet but there is a small bore range about 30 minute bus drive away and I was wondering if I had Target shooting A/B and joined the club could I shoot club air rifles or rimfires without dad there and only the Range officer watching everyone or would I need a parent to be directly supervising me?
    Polish Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r Radom 1952 manufacture
    Brno model 2 1974 manufacture

    One word 'Timshel'.

  • #2
    i dont think your allowed on the bus with the rifles any more and i also think it says guardian?
    thanks!!

    Comment


    • Throwingbrick
      Throwingbrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by sirus17" post=15290
      i dont think your allowed on the bus with the rifles any more and i also think it says guardian?
      Nah im saying hire club guns and buy ammo there and shoot it all before we go.

  • #3
    While we have roughly equivalent firearms laws, there's still some interesting details that vary between the states.
    Here in NSW a minor (Shooter under 18 who has a minors firearms permit) must be supervised by an adult who holds a full licence for the same firearms category.
    So if you're a minor with a cat H permit (handguns) you'd need to be supervised by an adult with a Cat H licence (and not PPL). Does not need to parent or guardian, but can be if they have the relevant licence.

    Regards
    Paul D

    Comment


    • sirus17
      sirus17 commented
      Editing a comment
      ah very cool, i would just call FAR

  • #4
    I would consider an RO as supervising the range and everyone there which means a junior would not be under full supervision by the RO.

    Can a junior transport firearms to the range by themselves?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

    Comment


    • TheSovietSamurai
      TheSovietSamurai commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd also be interested to know. I'm in Vic, with a large-bore rifle club literally just across the road from my place. I'm currently 17 with a juniors license, would it be legal to, say, have dad transport a few of my rifles to the range and place me under the supervision of the RO, in his absence? Would be very convenient, as he is usually far too busy to accompany me to the range. Either way, I'll be very glad once I'm able to make the trip on my own next year.

  • #5
    HI brick chucker, I see you are planning to use club rifles which is good because you aren't allowed to transport firearms, all juniors need immediate supervision, so one on one, and so if the range had one officer looking after the range and another officer who could watch each of you as you were shooting you would be OK or a consenting adult. Maybe you can give the President or secretary of your club a call and ask if there will be someone there to supervise. We always do everything we can to help anyone who wants to shoot your club will be the same.
    Let us know how you go.

    OH and make sure you OK it with your old man first!!

    Comment


    • Throwingbrick
      Throwingbrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by danandria" post=15316
      HI brick chucker, I see you are planning to use club rifles which is good because you aren't allowed to transport firearms, all juniors need immediate supervision, so one on one, and so if the range had one officer looking after the range and another officer who could watch each of you as you were shooting you would be OK or a consenting adult. Maybe you can give the President or secretary of your club a call and ask if there will be someone there to supervise. We always do everything we can to help anyone who wants to shoot your club will be the same.
      Let us know how you go.

      OH and make sure you OK it with your old man first!!
      thanks i'll call them next chance I get.

  • #6
    Originally posted by Throwingbrick" post=15276
    Hey me and a mate are not 18 yet but there is a small bore range about 30 minute bus drive away and I was wondering if I had Target shooting A/B and joined the club could I shoot club air rifles or rimfires without dad there and only the Range officer watching everyone or would I need a parent to be directly supervising me?
    In NSW, a junior (who holds a minor's permit) must be under direct one-on-one supevision by a fully-licensed shooter rated for the same firearm category or categories.

    Comment

    Working...
    X