Indoor Rock Climbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor Rock Climbing

Spent this morning getting back into a local indoor rock climbing place in NSW. Had an absolute blast, but my forearms and fingers are killing me, need to work on my grip strength!

Any other member into rock climbing? indoor or outdoor?

I was doing some indoor a little while back, might get back into it in the future.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to post this in a second story but....

While I was climbing with a friend this bloke came up to me and we ended up chatting about rock climbing, equipment and my climbing technique for like 40 mins or so. He then left for a bit and came back with some proper rock climbing boots (Red Chilli) he told me to try climbing with them on, said I could take on tougher climbs with the increased grip. Once I put them on and worked out that they fitted my really well he said I could keep them! They are like $100+ shoes and he said I could keep because he has seen me around a few times and reckons I would appreciate them more than he does (he has better ones). Really nice dude! So I may be looking to purchase a harness in the future...

Sounds like a top guy

I have a harness and other gear but no shoes, something I really needed
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I know nothing about harnesses, what are the top brands?? I may be looking to spend the cash and get a good one!

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope to be getting into it soon.... Its hard to find time to do such things these days, buts it been on the to do list for a long time.

A few people I work with a keen to get involved too. Hopefully something eventuates.

We have an awesome indoor climbing place in the heart of Melbourne. Cant wait to try it out.

That guy sounds like a top bloke mate, not every day that you meet people like that.

Hi guys,
    I was climbing indoor 4 nights a week for a while and outdoor trips most weekends. It's a pretty addictive sport once you get hooked. If you stay with it you will get into outdoor to propping and eventually in to outdoor lead claiming and depending on how keen you are trad climbing. It's not only physically demanding but challenges your mind when your 100 m up on a multi pitch on lead with a 6 m runout even the small easy moves then become a challenge when you know that if you fail you fall 15 meters. It just ads a whole extra level of mind control and focus. It is a great sport with a tight nit community everyone knows everyone. If you hang out at an indoor place you will meet a lot of people who are keen to grow the sport and who will take newbies out doors.

Comment

I spent a bit of time in a couple indoor places up till the last few years as where I live the closest indoor is about 3 hours away...

Me and a couple mates got into it as a way to get a bit more fit and work on fear and breath control... Then a couple of us got right into it and we loved every second...

As we where cash poor and couldnt afford a heap of kit, we got into boldering more so than wall work... Boldering is awesome because all you really need is a set of shoes and some imagination and some help from those things commonly known as "balls"...
      With boldering you dont need harnesses or ropes, just any surface to climb... Doesnt even have to be high... We rarely went above 2m and used a couple home made fall mats and mates to spot you...
      Brick corners are hard to do then do the over hang of the roof of your house... Simple but challenging and fun and you really dont need to leave the back yard...

Where I lived in Gladstone spoiled me bad as I had a mountain (Mt Larcom) as my back yard... Heaps of granite boulders around and a few good dry gullies lined with solid granite up to about 6m high, with in a couple minutes walk of the house...

Its been 2 years now since I had a climb... Miss doing it... But now its a drive and a half to go just for a couple hours...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzCiwLH-Vbs

Comment

Working...
      X