Beginning sport as an adult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning sport as an adult

I've been routinely going to the gym for the good part of 3 years now, but following injuries etc, I'm looking to reduce my time spent in the gym a little bit and put that effort into getting back into team sports. I'm hoping this will give me a bit of an outlet for my competitiveness as well as fitness and social
    The only problem is, I am looking at soccer, which I haven't played for about 7 years...
    I've found a team that will be a b grade side with sign ups in January, but I'm still going to be shite haha

Has anyone else started playing a competitive sport in their 20's against blokes who've been playing since they were kids? How'd you go?

In your 20's you're still a pup Rob! Go for it mate. I'm sure you'll pick it up again.

Comment

yeah I did - I started playing basketball when I was about 24 after not having picked up a ball. I am 41 now. I joined my brother's team and he had to explain the rules to me. I literally didn't know anything.

Almost 20 years later, a couple of premierships and a regular spot in a B grade team, I am loving it. At one point I was playing twice a week and training once. It changed my life and I am so glad I took it up. I am not as skilled as some of the other guys who started when they were young, but you play to your strengths and I can hold my own.

I say go for it and forget about your insecurities - it is about having fun and keeping fit. Enjoy mate.

Comment

Originally posted by aus_Rob91" post=44035
        Has anyone else started playing a competitive sport in their 20's against blokes who've been playing since they were kids? How'd you go?
        Most old people at the range shoot better than me. That said I don't really consider sport competitive unless it is high level, more for fun unless you are pro IMO.

Comment

Mate, I'm going to turn 34 this year, started going to the gym after a 5 year absence last year, started going for runs and tonight had may first training session in soccer which I haven't played in 12 years. Going to feel it tomorrow!
          The skills come back but you may be slower- just means you have to play smarter!

Comment

Working...
          X