Cyclist Check in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclist Check in

I am sure a few of you ride be it for fitness, commuting or for a bit of fun
    Show us your other toy!

I ride a bit of XC going to do more this coming year thought and commute once or twice a week to work 42km round trip on a shift work roster!

Mountain bike - Specialized Stump jumper

Road bike - Specialized secteur

Loaded up ready for a trip away

Here's my 20 year old super expensive mountain bike from Woolworths.
    My diaries indicate it has covered over 70,000KM.
    Used to ride it to work daily - Now retired (Me, not the bike) and it still gets taken out most days!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5230011.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	54817

Comment

I used to ride until I got run over. It sort of put the willies up me after that.

Comment

My stalkerbook profile is me & Mr Abbot - bumped into him at West Head in Sydney lol...

Did this one too this year:

Completed the Cingle (3 ascents in 24hrs)

Comment

heres my beast, got it 2nd hand for $50 cos i borrowed it off a workmate and then he didnt want it back cos he had no room in his shed.

i try to get it out at least once a week, even if its just to commute to the swimming center down the road.

Comment

Ok, I've got a question!

No, I am not a cyclist, but I did purchase a pretty flash Schwinn mountain bike in an effort to improve my fitness and get back into shape.

I haven't ridden a pushbike for around 35 years, but I was keen to head out the other day and begin my exercise routine.

I covered 12 kilometres in the first session. The body and legs coped very well, but NEVER have I had such a sore arse before!

These things are not designed for sitting on, they are instruments of torture, and I wanna know what the hell you lot do to help preserve your arse and prevent the pain?

Someone told me that I can purchase something called a gel seat cover, but both stores I went to were out of stock (they must be popular).

Do these things work, and what other options are open to me, apart from throwing the bl**dy bike on the scrapheap and going back to walking/jogging?

Comment

• zorba
              zorba commented
              Editing a comment
              i dont use them myself, but apparently those lycra shorts they all were (knicks) have padding in them.

just keep cycling mate, after a while its no longer painful.

• Bricktop
              Bricktop commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Ranger" post=51117
              Ok, I've got a question!

No, I am not a cyclist, but I did purchase a pretty flash Schwinn mountain bike in an effort to improve my fitness and get back into shape.

I haven't ridden a pushbike for around 35 years, but I was keen to head out the other day and begin my exercise routine.

I covered 12 kilometres in the first session. The body and legs coped very well, but NEVER have I had such a sore arse before!

These things are not designed for sitting on, they are instruments of torture, and I wanna know what the hell you lot do to help preserve your arse and prevent the pain?

Someone told me that I can purchase something called a gel seat cover, but both stores I went to were out of stock (they must be popular).

Do these things work, and what other options are open to me, apart from throwing the bl**dy bike on the scrapheap and going back to walking/jogging?
              Take the seat off :lol:

• nate
              nate commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Ranger" post=51117
              Ok, I've got a question!
              A SEAT is for sitting on, bikes do not have seats - they have saddles.
              There is a difference - saddles only take part of your weight

but anywho...
              it'll take a few weeks to toughen up, everyone goes through it - you just have to condition your butt.

Dont worry about gel seat covers, knicks have a small amount of sponge - which will do nothing for a 70kg+ person putting weight on a few square centimeters.
              get back on it when its not as sore, and keep at it.

correct above on the sit bones - but you'll still be sore as getting back into it. My advice is to get used to it & then start your usual upgrade-itis process once you know what you're doing & like etc...

don't get a gel seat.

Proper cycling nicks, aussie butt cream and most importantly head into a specialized dealer and ask them to do a body fit on a saddle.

As people have different sized "sit bones" you need different sized saddles. I found that most standard saddles that come on bikes are actually too wide for my butt.

I found a saddle (at one stage had 7 saddles in the garage) and have been using that one since 2008. I also know how wide it is so if I need another I can get it.

In 2010 I rode a mtb from Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam to Siam Reap in Cambodia over 15 days and had no pain (except from the stinking heat and humidity).

cheers

hutcho

Comment

take the kayak out Ranger.
              it still has pedals doesn't it?

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Send-it" post=51345
                take the kayak out Ranger.
                it still has pedals doesn't it?
                But how can I call it exercise when I'm so damn relaxed out there!
                :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Noah:

Name:	Noah_2014-01-08.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	62903
              Shawing!

Name:	IMWAbike.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	38.9 KB