Good oil/fats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good oil/fats?

Which oils or fats should a person take for healthy living?

I started taking a bit of sunflower seed oil in the morning thinking it contained good things but I must have misread something.

There's cod liver oil for D, or ones with omega 3 and 6, that sort of thing. Krill oil?

Victoria Bitter.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=20385
      Victoria Bitter.
      Might as well be drinking carbonated sewage water.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=20385
      Victoria Bitter.
      them green 30 packs of cans have been getting me in strife lately with the missus . Sprained my ankle after a few on the weekend and ceased my casual employment was my last week anyway .

Originally posted by chewtah" post=20382
    Which oils or fats should a person take for healthy living?

I started taking a bit of sunflower seed oil in the morning thinking it contained good things but I must have misread something.

There's cod liver oil for D, or ones with omega 3 and 6, that sort of thing. Krill oil?
    Omega 3 is the good stuff, can't remember what brand.

Comment

Omega 3 oils are good what your looking for is the EPA and DHA levels not just 1000mg on the front of the container Omega 6 oils are also good you can get them from nuts and eggs if you like peanut butter try the natural one from sanitarium and Omega 9 oils which is your olive oil just dont cook with olive oil after a certain temperature it loses its benefits if you want a good oil to cook with try macadamia oil

Comment

Why the bloody hell are people recommending supps when this bloke hasn't said what he is eating?

For all we know, this guy is eating twice a day with huge serves of pasta and dairy and has just heard about some magical 'healthy fats'.

Each meal you eat should consist of protein, carbs and fat sources.
        Eating a big mac with a side of chips and coke will provide you with protein, carbs and fats, but unfortunately in some pretty fucked up ratios with most of the carbs being sugars and the dats being trans and saturated.

A better example of the correct way to eat and provide your body with these nutrients would be a portion of lean meat such as roast turkey breast (your primary protein source in this example), stuffed with some peppered avocado (your healthy un saturated fats) and served with broccolini, beans, asparagus and a serve of rice (your primary carb source).

Build each meal like this, there will be no need to take extra fish oil etc unless you start training towards being a high level athlete

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          ^^ What he said.... except I'm mostly paleo these days and limit my grains and starchy carb intake.

All natural fats - saturated animal fats, mono and polyunsaturated, etc. are healthy and are required by our bodies in order to function properly. Too much Omega-6 (seed oils) can be problematic though... it will increase LDL small particle cholesterol, which is the one that will eventually block your arteries . A few serves each per week of fish, grass-fed meat, eggs and nuts will be far better for you than any kind of fish oil etc. supplement. Avoid trans fats and hydrogenated vegetable oils like the plague, however. It's basically just poison, really.

There is a documentary called 'Cereal Killers' which is worth a watch if you're curious about the whole fat vs sugar debate. Really quite eye opening. You can view it for free at the moment off Pete Evans' website (http://www.thepaleoway.com/ - link down the bottom)

Eat real food, quality meats, lots of veggies, avoid/limit refined carbs/sugars and artificial crap as much as possible, be active and I can't see any reason why you'd need any kind of supplement or pill-form vitamins. Your body absorbs such nutrients far better from food anyway.

Cheers, Ben.

What he said ^-^.
        Also look for starch (es) another piece of crap we don`t need.
        Avoid almost all re branded or deviously named other products like corn syrup sugar replacements and so on.
        Remember Diabetics is the first thing they investigate and then they find "Fatty Liver Disese " is the real culprit for many who simply can not loose weight on any diet even with hard work or exercise.

Cut the breads and starch > grains > All Carbonated drinks even diet ones and loose 20 odd kilos in as many days and keep it lost for good.
        I did and i have been working on this for years including hard manual work etc, all with no results and then bingo "Paleo style diet" right as rain from then on in.
        Most is caused by an over efficient digestive /metabolic system that can almost live and get fat on bloody cardboard.
        Turns everything excess at the moment to sugars and stores it in body fat.

For online research that is reliable as it can be, use sites with .gov or .med .edu or the like in the URL.
        If its got other extensions like .com (commercial) the advice is not as reliable and often contradictory as well.
        Beware there`s money in books and diet fads so don`t believe it all just research scholarly articles or medical journal info as the guide.
        You will if you are serious spend a lot of time defining "Terms" or you will be wasting your time.
        Google the ones you don`t understand .

Been there >done that> it works . .

BTW whether red meat is a carcinogenic or not is debatable but it will help bulk up your intestines so you can crap regularly.
        Too many vegies simply turn to water after the body processes them and you need bulk / fibre as well.
        A Protein style powder (not the athletes type as its a bit too much just a normal one ) is good with milk and Stevia as a sweetener and will help with bulk in your intestines.
        Experiment with them as some work better than others depending on your system.

BTW #2 Do not do this halfway bit by bit as your wasting your time.
        That`s like half giving up smoking by having two fags a day / it does not work like that.
        It`s all or nothing but you can back off a bit once you have stabilize your weight permanently in a few months > you will get used to it too as you find which thing affect you more than others.
        And smoking and grog is basically off the menu for health anyway though red wine in moderation is sort of Ok any carbonates are not.
        Will power is a state of mind like everything else and can be achieved.
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Try and stay away from the bad ones mentioned however don't make it a religion. Eat a balance of animal fat (fish included), veggy and nuts etc. Have a look into fasting or intermittent fasting while your researching everything else. So interesting ideas behind it.

Comment

Do your research properly on nuts.
            Some such as tree nutts are good.
            Almonds / good but don`t over do them
            Peanuts are NOT good.
            Legumes and Lupins need some defining too.

And Potatoes avoid / Total bad : Sweet potato is fine and there are varieties that mashed will be almost as good as normal mashed potato so its an easy change there.
            You can even get used to eating "Purple" mashed sweet potato > just looks different :S
            [center]
            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

My doctor is Dr Google
              And he told me to take a teaspoon of Coconut oil everyday organic of course
              I only cook in Super-fry just like the grand parents did.....no vegie oil for me
              Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
              Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
              Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
              Ruger American .22wmr
              BSA SuperSport XL .22
              Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
              Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

• primer
                primer commented
                Editing a comment
                flax seed oil have a look at that.omega 3 and 6.dont heat cook with it.spoon full a day.sadly tastes like shit.

It`s more likely true that @overkill is in fact over kill in more ways than one.
              Like many things its not "What you take or do" rather " what you don`t take and do " that does damage to your health.
              Another one of our worst foods today is bread and any of those grain /salt/and corn syrup/ sugar loaded foods like a Macas or some whopper bun thing.
              The salad part is fine its the wrapper that`s the problem.

Most supplements or much of them are eliminated as part of our bodily process unless we use them through extreme training or very hard manual work.
              Any more than needed is simply wasted money.

[center]

Comment

• primer
                primer commented
                Editing a comment
                I did the omega research few years ago.now growing Perilla and Purslane and others.can get seed ok.Purslane is the most omega 3 containing leafy plant on earth.can pickle it.DONT let it seed or will be every where.

Far Left: The most important supplement of all in my eyes. Vitamin D3. Hard to find this quantity. The vitamin D foundation recommends 1000iu per 10kg of body weight. This one is 7000iu

Left: MCT Oil, I have this in my coffee everyday. Amazing stuff and too long winded to explain but, do yourself a favour and get on it.

Right: Lecithin, Another favourite. Look into it.

Far Right: coconut oil, as with all good oils NEVER EVER HEAT THEM! Once you oxidize an oil it's good properties are useless. Although MCT oil is better than Coconut oil I take this still because it has more C12 (Laurie acid) than MCT.

Other than this I am a huge fan of New Zealand (organic) grass fed butter. I have 60-80grams every morning in my "Bullet Proof Coffee".

The best!

Comment

• Hunter
                Hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                We have switched to natural Coconut oil for frying. We also use it to spread on our toast of a morning instead of butter. Also a tablespoon full in our soups which enhances the flavour. We try to average three tablespoons a day.

I have run out of sixties and since changing I find I have a lot more energy.

Does anyone know anything about the benefits or harm associated with trans fat found in meats like roo and venison? I haven't been able to find much info about it, apart from it being thought that it is not as bad as hydrogenated oil or 'man made' trans fat

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Chris" post=160899
                Does anyone know anything about the benefits or harm associated with trans fat found in meats like roo and venison? I haven't been able to find much info about it, apart from it being thought that it is not as bad as hydrogenated oil or 'man made' trans fat
                I think all the 'low fat, low this and that' with wild animals are that they are roaming in the wild, not in pens being fed what is cheapest for the farmer, etc. If you farmed Roos they would be just as fatty as fast foods things.

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                The meat you get from anything running wild would be better than anything you buy.

I have only eaten animal fat last 33 years , not any processed/treated/trans fat at all.
              Fat fish, fat meat and pork and some dairy that is not treated keeps me healthy. Why eat other than natural fats and vitamins? if you are healthy in general.
              Doc's says that my values are like an 18 year old.
              Studies show that transfat is likely to create depression, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, etc .......
              Remember that many of our "needs" are created in order to make money.

Comment

Roo is good if its home grown etc.
                I do not really trust many supermarket foods or preservatives added as being any thing like they are cracked up to be.
                On the other hand meat straight off the hook from a local butcher can be a better choice IMO.
                Most people today are either time starved or too dam lazy or both to go out of their way to get the better choices so they just grab it in the supermarkets and run.
                The joys and not so good benefits of a fast and busy life style today.

The person who said "Had work never killed any body " had no Idea..

[center]

Comment

^^ Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA), found in all grass fed or free range animals. The early claims of its benefits are amazing but, long term testing is required to become more official. Either way, it cannot be denied that it is extremely good for you.

Comment

• primer
                  primer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Diary Of An Average Hunter" post=160949
                  ^^ Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA), found in all grass fed or free range animals. The early claims of its benefits are amazing but, long term testing is required to become more official. Either way, it cannot be denied that it is extremely good for you.
                  where you get the mct-lecith- coconut oil from doaah?.also open question,whats the best oil/fat to cook in.use olive oil atm.
              Working...
              X