Sneak Peeks - Upcoming Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Field Office:
    A recent discussion amongst Primary and Secondary moderators had us comparing notebook sizes.

One of the lads had a fairly decent collection of Australian issue Field Notebooks that he acquired whilst deployed and co-located with Australian troops.
    It reminded me of my field notebook setup.

The old green field notebook was sized to comfortably sit in a breast pocket.
    It’s a good size to write on.
    It’s pages are perforated at the top and grid-lined.

Also commonly used in conjunction with the field notebook was what we called a vuee-tuee in the ADF. A hard-covered plastic booklet with clear view plastic sleeves to carry all our reports and returns proforma’s.
    As a junior NCO (Non Commissioned Officer) my vuee tuee would contain:
    - My orders for a tasking
    - Radio report proforma (casualty evacuation, hand over report, contact report, resupply request, call for fire, amongst others)
    - Clothing and boot sizes for my patrol members
    - Controlled stores list (serial numbers for weapons, optics, radios and other equipment)
    - Small personal morale pictures.

To carry all this in a neat little package, a lot of blokes would buy a cordura field notebook wallet. There were a few designs from different suppliers that were popular. They were all designed to carry writing implements and other sundry items as well.
    Mine had:
    - A mechanical pencil
    - Ball point pen
    - Map marking permanent marker
    - Red and blue chinagraph pencils
    - Protractor
    - OFOF or RoE cards
    - Range card

The back of my range card was covered in luminous glow-in-the-dark tape to make writing at night easier. I would charge up my card during the day in full sunlight, and then place it under the page I was writing on to give some form of illumination without having to hold a torch in my teeth.
    It could also be used for IFF purposes in dark when marrying up with our mounted callsigns.

I generally didn’t bother carrying too many map marking pens, because our vehicle crews would have a more complete set than I could carry.

And of course, everything is stored in a plastic bag (an old 200rd bag for 5.56mm link in this case) to prevent it all getting wet.

It all fits comfortably in a pants map pocket or in a kidney pouch in my belt webbing.

What are your field admin solutions?
    Attached Files
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Forward!
    Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	27023108-DB99-4081-95ED-B0CC883653DB.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	324962 A lovely way to spend a hot, balmy Sunday afternoon.
      Kit prep for a solo walk coming up later this week.

Couldn’t fit everything I wanted in 40L (Mystery Ranch 3DAP), so upgraded to 60L (Mystery Ranch Wolf Alpha) with some room to spare.

https://www.facebook.com/15019937507...850806285/?d=n

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Forward!

Comment

I had a bloody good day on Wednesday.
        Had planned an overnight solo walk on the Lake Manchester circuit.
        But I arrived at the camp site and decided it wasn’t going to be a nice night in the heat with mozzies and nowhere to put my hammock up. So I succumbed to the whispered temptation of beer in the pool waiting for me at home. The road was only five klicks further on.

Attached Files
        Forward!

Comment

Sounds like a better plan anyway, could have just taken a day pack.

I would be a bit wary of walking in hunting forests with that hat.
          Could be mistaken for the button man or Slim Jim and get shot.

Could do a lot worse than my fav, it stops the sun, not too heavy or hot,
          even hides the face a bit from the animals as I was wearing it when Skippy near bowled me over doing some stand-up stalking practice.
          The f___r stopped and looked at me all confused from about 3m. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	325014

Comment

I had a lovely day on the Easter long weekend.
            How were you mob?

http://packsandbeyond.com/2022/04/sn...ick/#more-3814
            Forward!

Comment

I'm just glad it's a 'wiggly stick' and not a couple of poles.... I'd hate to put my favourite 'Choc' that high up on the 'Endangered Species' list.
              "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Gimme some credit mate!

As I said to an ARA SSM once:
                I’m not gay, but my boyfriend lurves cock!
                Forward!

Comment

Working...
                X