Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice for a newby

Hey All,

Well I have finally made my way through the process of getting my old Man's old guns registered in NSW
    Anyway what I've ended up with is:

A great looking Brno 22 that used to be my Dad's bunny gun (plenty of rust but I'm getting its sorted with a smith)
    A 1896 Mod Mauser from the Boer War in pretty good nick
    A Boito 410 (Made in Brazil) (surface rust that I'm going to try and fix myself but otherwise in good condition) + plenty of ammo
    A Remington 220 Swift with a nice looking scope

I haven't done much shooting at all but would like to hunt wild dogs on our family farm and may occasionally be called on to put down a horse, I really don't need 4 rifles in the safe.
    So I took them all off to the smith to get his opinion on what I should spend dollars on,

He said the 220 swift is in great nick except for the barrel which needs replacing
    I'm having the 22 repaired for sentimental reasons
    I'm going to have a go at removing the rust from the Boito myself
    I have no attachment to the Mod Mauser and am hoping it'll pay for some repairs if I sell it

So my question is, given what I want to use them for , what should I keep?
    Would it be possible to have the 220 swift converted to a more common calibre and use it as my Dog gun?
    Also, I got some detail about the Mauser from a pro:

Mauser 1896 carbine Mfg by lowe & co. the serial nbr indicates 3rd contract shipped by Krupp agent to Boer republic on the MV Europa accepted in Pretoria 7/10/97.
    Do you reckon it might pay for a conversion or maybe a new rifle where I could move the scope over?

Keep the 220 swift as is. The 220 is a good caliber.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      My first thought was to sell them all and get what you want, you have someone's else's favourites there, with respect to your dad. But maybe just keep the .22rf and build a collection up to your own needs. Then again you have a nearly free collection don't you! Rust, I'd just spray with some good gun spray, or my favourite, olive oil!

• 17fireball
      17fireball commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=29156
      Keep the 220 swift as is. The 220 is a good caliber.
      ^^^^^^^^^
      What Skip said

looking at what you got,......you've got most things covered with those 4 firearms.
    all i could recomend is;
    keep the 22 and the 220.
    upgrade the mauser and the boito later in life.
    the 220 will be up to the job of putting down a horse,...as long as its at close range,....and between the eyes.
    been there done that.

Comment

Some good advice there thanks, I'd actually love to keep the 220, it seems like a beautiful rifle (heavy as though) my only concern is it sounds like I'm up for $600 for a new barrel and everywhere I searched seem to suggest that 220 swift was yesterdays calibre? I only travel to the farm a couple of times a month and won't be shooting that much so the barrel life should be OK and ammo costs I can manage.
      I don't have a pic of the shotty, its not as bad rust wise but I'd say I'll need to file it off.
      @Send-it I'm really not looking forward to putting horses down
      I've attached some photos for you to have a sticky at my inherited collection, I was pretty reluctant at first, the old man never let us near em, I won't be doing the same with my kids.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wholeresize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	42421

Name:	220.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	42422

Name:	220whole.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	42423

Name:	Brno22.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	42424

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Seeing as your 220 is up for a barrel you could keep it the norm 1 in 14 twist to run light pills over 4000 fps.

Or get the new barrel in 1 in 8 and you should be able to stabilise the biggest of the .224 bullets 90 grn VLD. All the way down to the 55 grn ( this will give you a bigger selection on pill choices and if you change your mind on you main shooting activity. )

The above will be only good if your hand loading. If not stick to 1 in 14 twist if your only using factory stuff.

220 still has its place .... It's only lost a little stance due to the 22-250 showing up. But she'll look good all cleaned up and a bit of elbow grease in the stock

up to you.
      if you got the time, sanding it back and resealing it will end up nicer.

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=29592
        up to you.
        if you got the time, sanding it back and resealing it will end up nicer.
        Then a really good Buff with a buff wheel.

If it has a few ding's you can draw them out with the Iron trick ( by steaming out the ding's ) Just don't leave it there or you'll burn the wood, If the ding wont come out ( It's not going to ) so dont over do it with the iron. But with a bit of time and a little loving.......Shell be a great looking rifle.

modified from original = yes,..........considering the swift cartridge came out much much later.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        might still shoot well?
    Working...
    X