Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busse Knives?

Anyone have one?

They seem to have a very good rep as well as a hefty price tag.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

I will probably get flamed by the fans of them but I kind of look at them as the Harley of knives, you pay 40% for the knife and 60% for the advertising campaign that sold it to you (all those multiple full page adds in the knife mags weren't free). Yes they have nice ergos, yes it's good steel (although I have doubts about what it REALLY is), not easy to sharpen. I've seen the video's of guys cutting up every thing from logs to cars with them but I have an axe and a 9inch angle grinder for those jobs .
    Just my honest opinion.

Comment

I haven't really seen there ad campaign yet, just the guys on the blade forums raving about them. I did suspect they could be over rated a bit to justify the price but they still sound like a heck of a knife.

Is there anything upto their price range that you would rate better than Busse?
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

I'm also thinking about ordering one of these

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/kill-devil-sniper-hawk/

Comment

• S12A
          S12A commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Morgo" post=2038
          I'm also thinking about ordering one of these

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/kill-devil-sniper-hawk/
          if your thinking about a tomahawk dont discount these guys:

LINK :Hardcore Hardware Australia LFT01

Personally I don't get into the super high end price stuff as a user. When you get over $500 I tend to think of investment pieces and if I'm going to invest in art I prefer it to look nice, a trip to the Melbourne knife show will throw up lots of nice handmade custom stuff.
        Myself I have Esee's and a Browning Competition knife as users and have never found them wanting, the guys I know with Swamp Rats have good things to say about them.

I guess it comes down to what you want the knife for, most of the guys I know with Busse's don't use them for fear of loosing re-sale value and like I said if it were me, I'd rather have something that looks nice if I'm not going to use it but that's just me. If you want something hard core and Aussie made have a look at Zu Blade Worx from Sydney. He does one piece knives that are getting a good rep overseas, he has a sub forum on USN forums and a facebook page.

Comment

Zu Blade Worx seem interesting though what I've found seems to be mostly daggers and swords.

Do they have a website?

I plan on having Esee's and maybe that axe for knives that will be used. I do like a varied collection so a Busse or two will get there one day I suppose, seems they change their line up pretty often as one of the models I like is no longer made on their site.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Zu doesn't have a website that I know of, he has been showing some single edge stuff on the Facebook page, I can't get in to USN forums to see what he's selling there, I got banned for expressing an un-popular opinion LOL

Ordered an Esee 4 and a fallkniven a1 last night. Will get the Busse later on I guess

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            They are pretty and pander to all the perceived cutting needs of the mall ninja. You did much better with the A1 there is nothing the Busse can do that the A1 cant, other than tire you out carrying it.

Use it and learn to sharpen a convex properly, if it has a micro bevel on it from the factory (Made in Japan as they will not allow the export of VG10 in stock sizes, excellent steel by the way, its probably my favorite steel) then polish/sharpen it off. Get a nice aftermarket sheath for it and a decent firesteel and you are cheering!

If you are looking for a chopping tool, then this is the go.

More pedigree than a kibble factory.

Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe A.K.A GB SFA

Cheers mate, I'll check out the SFA

Coincidentally my Esee and A1 arrived today

Comment

im with you morgo, i love the busse knives(i dont own one yet) especially the mean street, ive asked santa for one this year.

another maker ive just discovered is coye knives,worth a look if youre interested, they look very nice and all hand made by bill coye in the states(with the exception of some coye designed knives made by large manufacturers)
            coye seems to use a lot of cpm154 steel ,whicj i reckon is a great knife steel.

Comment

Well I gave in and ordered a new Busse Team Gemini Light Brigade

Comment

• newrycol
                newrycol commented
                Editing a comment
                While I must admit being an Esee fan (got a 3, 4 and a 5) I'm very tempted to try a Swamprat Rodent 3. Seem to be reasonably priced as well.

I wouldn't mind one of their 4 inch versions.
              Would be hard to beat the Esse for the $$$ though.

Comment

I am really getting into the custom work of SKIN N BONE KNIVES of NSW.

Check him out on facebook.

Stoopid ipad wont allow me too upload pics.

Comment

Working...
                X