Old friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Magoo’. Those little FKer’s don’t muck around and don’t really like ‘Bulai’ (besides your dollar). Invited guests to the country but very out of place and out on a limb...

You’d be gurgling in your own blood with your throat slit before you finished a little colloquial banter and they’d be heading for the hills chattering all the way like mischievous monkeys...

Next quizz.... Which of the Cocks in the photo do you think triumphed?
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Those little FKer's look like Cambodians or something, where was it?

Comment

• HERNE
      HERNE
      Administrator
      HERNE commented
      Editing a comment
      They are Javanese. A few looked like they come from a larger island just north and some look more Thai... That’s ‘Indo’ for ya. A melting pot of a few backgrounds which use to be quite difficult for ‘Bulai’ to navigate... Rest assured you had to be careful in Java.

An old Spanish double sword set I found in very poor condition sitting on an under house flooring bearer beam of a house we were demolishing. They had been there along time and were not in the best of nick... So took them to a local gunsmith, who's brother collected and restored things like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	file 4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	34.8 KB ID:	315360

Click image for larger version  Name:	file 3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	315361Click image for larger version  Name:	file 2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	315362

These were the second great find I've found stashed away on a flooring bearer under a house I've been contracted to rebuild or reno. The first was a 1903 Winchester .22 with a thumb trigger wrapped in an oily hessian sack...

Let's get back to the blades fellas...

HERNE.
    "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

This kid lives in the glove box, I remember my excitement buying this and I know at the time I paid too much but no one else was gonna own it! I bought it at a gunshop in Grafton when I bought the scope for my old mans .222 I reckon that was late 80's maybe 88-89 maybe, but I cant say for sure. Its super shiny and a complete bitch to sharpen, holds an edge for 18-22 seconds if you dont cut anything with it but other than that I bloody love it.

My Italian 'hand made' Falcon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6504.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	315365

it got a cougar embossed this side..

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6505.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	315366

and a ram embossed this side...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6507.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	315367

The handle is real antler, and the case is leather its actually not a bad thing, the shape is nice and the hand fit is pretty bloody good.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_145724.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	315381the smallest and most useful knife I own it's the best and handiest little knife.
    I bought it down in goulburn years ago when I was working down there.
    Go hard or Go home.

Comment

Rootin' around up at the farm this weekend took a couple of picks of a few ol' friends in the tool shed...

Name:	file 2.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	315400

Name:	file 2.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	315401

Below are three resto items waiting for some TLC...

Name:	file.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	315402

Comment

'Magoo' forgive my tardiness mate but got that antler off to you this afternoon...

Bugger me days if I hadn't just walked back out to the Glenrose shops Post Office and saw this number plate on the back of a Ute tray... You weren't in Belrose/Davidson area today were ya???

Name:	file.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	315463

Comment

Thanks Herne, look forward to seeing it and working out some creative cuts.

Must be a few Magoo's around, the bike racer Kevin Magee had it as his nickname.
          Like your old mate Slight, he also hit his head pretty hard in a stack and you could tell it affected him.

Mine is a Shooting Australia original as I had to think up something on the spot when I joined.

Comment

Magoo working out the cuts is the hardest part, I spent a lot of time looking and lining things up as I only had one antler to use. Part of the section I used was hollow so I filled it with car bog to get a larger surface area then I just glued each scale onto the tang with Araldite. Sounds rough haha and one side did fall off after about 7 years but I just glued it back on and it hasn't moved since.
            Looking forward to see how you go.

Comment

Yeah Dan, it will prob be a head f__k thinking up the cuts.
              Not even sure on the best cutting and working methods yet.
              All I found so far on utube was blokes just drilling and glueing in a blade.
              I was just thinking of sussing the best hacksaw tpi and a linisher to clean up.
              Pre drill so it all stays lined up.

A linisher would be great, but too much dust and can't clean it up with my garage full of things, I go outside to grind now days.
              Will be a while as I need to get into yard and house maint as it's now or never but will remember to take pictures if I remember.

We should get onto that thread that someone has started, to discuss procedures and crap about handle making.

Comment

'Magoo', don't over think this one too much mate. As, it is quite small, there is only one section that could be used. But it has a nice natural curve to make for a nice little knife with a 3 and a half to 5 inch blade.

The size and that curve dictate where it will be cut and which is the fore and rear end of the handle. I'd over size the cut a little, wrap it in tape and drill/hone out the centre where needed to take a 'narrowing tang' slightly oversized too. Then fill any hollow areas and the tang keep with resin or Plasti-bond...

As soon as you cut it you will know which way to go drilled and filled or split... Which will dictate your tang shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	What-does-TANG-mean-in-knife.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.7 KB ID:	315491

Comment

No probs mate, I think I misinterpreted the size in the photo but can see now, wasn't familiar with those leaf roll things to judge.
                  I should look at my bleached casty, just for ideas, I painted it with the Conti Crystals stuff but no amount of sanding will make it look like a natural one.

Good tang info, by the way.

Comment

‘’Magoo’, it could easily take a longer blade to 6”-7” but with the girth and slight curved shape, It’d make a great 4 -5” hunting knife that you could do everything with.

When it arrives, check it out and take it from there. When you have it in your hands you’ll know..

Comment

Got it today Herne, thanks, it would make an ideal candidate for the drill method and like you said, make a great medium size all-round hunting knife.
                      I will cut it long and give it time and thought as I may be able to put some interesting shape to the big end or whatever.
                      It does feel good in the hand and you have to work out how and how much to use the curve for both feel and looks.

Comment

I bought new friend Sunday night a Puma Skinner 6393, should be in my hands by Thursday, always wanted one since I was a wee laddy so hopefully it turns up and I can reminisce about how cool it is here in 20 years. Seems this is an inspirational and informative thread!

Comment

Working...
                        X