Old friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old friends

This is my old friend, we have had our ups and our downs but now we get along as we should.
    As it is earn't after 35 years together, yep 35 years.
    If you know your steel you will understand steel is unforgiving and relentless.
    Sometimes cunting and then perfection....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6379[1].jpg
Views:	268
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	315093

I made her a nice handle and keep her well.

Did you make this one or is it store bought?

Comment

• danandria
      danandria commented
      Editing a comment
      Its an old Mundial, I bought when I was 18 replaced the handle about 10 years ago.

This was my first quality knife. Buck Mod102 Woodsman.
    I got it when I was 17 years old. Blade is made from 440C unlike today's version which is made from 420HC. I always liked the looks of it.

Name:	Buck102_1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	315103

Comment

yeah its a great shape, in good nick too. Only the sheath gives it's age away..

Comment

At the time all I was hunting was rabbits so the size was not an issue. Its handle is small so it's not the best for all around use and yeah at closer look the blade does show plenty of use. Love knives too.
        Last edited by MrCarbine; 19-06-2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Nice classic ‘MrC’ is that a 4.5 -5 inch blade?
          "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Blade is only 4".
            The Pathfinder is the 5".
            Last edited by MrCarbine; 15-06-2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Here’s my favourite little carry over the years...

Click image for larger version  Name:	FE7FD5F3-D2FA-435F-82BA-1EF9B754AE33.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	315116
              I’ve cut a head off for the crown with the whole 90mmm of it’s blade.
              "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

It looks like it has a slightly thicker grip than the Woodsman. That's hard use for the little bugger.
                I don't known if I could do that with the Woodsman. It's a bit light and the handle is a little small too. Does a fair job on the hares though.
                Even now I carry it on my belt (more as an old friend) but I use something bigger when it comes to seriouse work.

Comment

• HERNE
                  HERNE commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Little knives can do big things....

• MrCarbine
                  MrCarbine commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Indeed they can. A good grip though is essential for control of the knife and not to mention a good blade. My amazement is how expensive the Buck knives are now-a-days when brands such as Cold Steel kill them in quality of steel at much less dollars.

Here's my Gerber 900 Skinner (circa 1990)
                I had high hopes for this one as the grip really fits me and I love the blade shape.
                However the steel is so soft it only takes a few cuts before it's not much better than a butter knive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gerber1990_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	315132

Comment

Dunno mate did Gerber drop the ball and go all commercial along with the Bear Grills promotions? My brother has a BMF he bought 30 years ago that is just a fantastic blade.

Comment

• MrCarbine
                    MrCarbine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gerber 900 Skinner is made in the USA. I believe it was also made from 440C. I don't know why it loses it's edge so quick but I am bitterly disappointment. If they make one out of S30V steel I'll buy it tomorrow.

Mate, that knife of 'MrC's is circa 1990. Over a decade before the first Bear Grylls knife was even in production... It seems 'old friend' likes leveling 'tall poppies'.

Comment

• MrCarbine
                    MrCarbine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you mean I like to put down big brands nah. I am very fond of the Gerber brand and been using them well before Bear Grylls was on the scene. Their Bolt Action folder saved my bacon once but the Skinner 900 left me very disappointed.

• HERNE
                    HERNE commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And Dan reckons it's me missing the point. LOL... Wasn't talking to you.

Name:	20200617_200058.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	315157
                  I bought this little nieto for my wife before we got married last yr. Now it sits on our tall boy.
                  it's a great lil knife.
                  Go hard or Go home.

Comment

That's a nice little 'Drop Point' knife there 'Sparts'. Have a couple of Neito's that are used regularly. Particularly the little Nieto Coyote featured in the pic below. Unlike the larger 5'' blade shown as well... It holds it's edge much longer.

Name:	file.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	315160

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post
                      Mate, that knife of 'MrC's is circa 1990. Over a decade before the first Bear Grylls knife was even in production... It seems 'old friend' likes leveling 'tall poppies'.
                      You missed the point, the Gerber BMF I was talking about is the same era good quality gear way before Grills got involved.

My brother bought the same as in the photo in 1990 paid about $575 for it then.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.02.09 pm.png Views:	0 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	315163

Now if you can find one expect to pay $1,000.
                      Last edited by danandria; 17-06-2020, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• HERNE
                        HERNE commented
                        Editing a comment
                        When you consider "all aspects" and three decades on, that price difference does not seem that unreasonable don't you think?

Obviously your brother purchased something from a much better product line and that original $575 price tag would have depicted so... Apples to Oranges mate.

• danandria
                        danandria commented
                        Editing a comment
                        no I dont think it unreasonable, it a good knife.
                    Working...
                    X