Damascus knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damascus knives

Are this range of knives any good they are going pretty cheap on ebay if they are good why are they so cheap.Cheers

I bought 2 blanks from 2 finger knife co on ebay and theyre awesome. Great at holding their edge. I gave one to a mate for his birthday after doing the scales with mallee stump from our hunting spot. No hesitation in recommending them.

http://www.twofingerknife.net/TFK/HOME.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02014_2013-12-16.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	54697
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Archie
      Archie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mate they have a good design

• Archie
      Archie commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Capn Dazza" post=43192
      I bought 2 blanks from 2 finger knife co on ebay and theyre awesome. Great at holding their edge. I gave one to a mate for his birthday after doing the scales with mallee stump from our hunting spot. No hesitation in recommending them.

ya not making any of the one's in the pic it looks good man
      Attached Files

• theabomb
      theabomb commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Capn Dazza" post=43192

Hi Dazza, I'm new to knives/knife making, do you need a B709 permit to bring in these blade blanks? sorry for the hijack
      Attached Files

They did at one time have plain HC blanks but none at the moment.

If you get a blade that you want to put some deer horn for the handle sing out and Ill send you some for postage cost.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Archie
      Archie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mate but ive got heaps of antler we have deer everywhere here in Tumut but the hunting has slowed down abit cause of the game council stuff up but thanks anyway

Just thought Id post up here how I did it.

Roughed out the stump timber

Name:	DSC01982.JPG
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	54933

The used clear epoxy and corby bolts to attach the scales to the blade blank.

Name:	DSC01983.JPG
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	54934

Then I roughed the scales to the shape of the blade.

Name:	DSC01984.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	54935

Then I thinned off the scales until I had it at what felt comfortable.

Name:	DSC01985.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	54936

Then I rounded off the finger spots and edges and put a few coats of Truoil on to finish it off.

Name:	DSC02014_2013-12-17.JPG
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	54937

Took about 4 or 5 hours all up with a mix of hand tools (file) and a belt sander. I kept the blade covered with a short piece of thick tube to protect both myself and the blade from damage. A sheath was made by the Leather Man in Hahndorf but I don't have pics of it. I gave this to a mate who I hunt with for his birthday a few months ago and needless to say he loves it.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• headspace
      headspace commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a woman in the States going under the name "Grits Knives" she makes a lot of Damascus steel blades.

I bought this knife off an old bloke at the Little River pistol club a few weeks ago. Thought it would be a good knife to put in the backpack for deer hunting, handle is basic, but the blade is heavy, good skinning style.
    I paid $120.00 for it, not sure if that's cheap or dear. He tells me he makes around $4.00 per hour given the time he puts in.

A day not hunting is a day lost

Comment

• retired
      retired commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by SNOOPY" post=74145
      I bought this knife off an old bloke at the Little River pistol club a few weeks ago. Thought it would be a good knife to put in the backpack for deer hunting, handle is basic, but the blade is heavy, good skinning style.
      I paid $120.00 for it, not sure if that's cheap or dear. He tells me he makes around $4.00 per hour given the time he puts in.

That is bloody nice, did he tell you how many times he folded the steel?
      $120 for that knife is cheap, you've done well.

No mate not as far as I know. I think theres only issues with bringing in double edged blades and assisted opening styles. Ive bought 2 of similar blades from 2 Finger and no worries at all.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I have never had a problem bringing in knife blanks or knives in general. The eBay blanks from India are good and what most complete knives are made of around the world just with the piece(er) together(er)'s name on them. Make sure they have a good layered steel along with the Damascus and hardened to suit. I paracord wrap them as i am not that good at woodworking and they come sharp, maybe just need a touch up .

Comment

Just on the note of importing stuff like knives from overseas there is this document:
        http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/2013-030318_Documents_Released.pdf
        Within it is the list of items you can and cannot bring in without customs stealing it from you. I only found this too late once my spyderco was stolen from me only to find that in the list a spyderco delica is totally legal! If you ever plan on importing knives it pays to have a quick look through the list and see if it is ok to bring in and you at least have a leg to stand on if you get that nasty letter from customs. Maybe a mod could pin that list in the forum to help out anyone trawling through ebay for their next folder to add to the hunting kit.
        .22 CZ 452, .22 Remington model 12 pump, .17 Savage 93R17 TR , DTA SRS A1 black/OD green .308 & .338LM

My friends all bought dirt bikes, i bought a DTA......i think i won the cool toy contest :P

Comment

When i first turned 18 i was on ebay and was amazed at the variety of stuff you could get for the prices Needless to say most of the stuff i bought was crappy quality at best. I learned the hard way what you can a can't bring through customs. The child in me thought the spare dollar i had would be wise to invest in a gag shock pen i.e. trickery. Weeks later i get a letter in the mail from customs saying i have been warned etc etc. Didn't i need a new pair of underwear. Just be careful people it really isn't worth getting into hot water with them. nothing come of it though. Must need a B709 i guess

Comment

Working...
          X