Home made tomohawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made tomohawk

After being out of work for about 2 days I got busy in the shed and after 4 hours this is what I have to show.
    Attached Files

sweet man, how did you make this and what from? I mean did you modify something existing or forge from scratch?

nice work

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent mate, looks like a quality item.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      A welder and grinder, sounds rough but I use the welder to actually heat the steel as I lack a forge and bash the crap out of it for a while, the grinder is just for a nice finish and shape and eventually the last stage is done with files and sandpaper, I also use the welder to temper the edge. Quiet a process

Just what I need for the axe throwing competitions at the archery club.........let me know when you go into production.

Comment

you made it from what? you made a tomahawk from a tomahawk? i read that you used the welder to heat the steel. would you care to tell us more?

i think there's something you're not telling us, your home made tomahawk took less than 2 days but it appears you made another as well (there's another one the same in the background of this pic) unless what you meant to say was you ground a tomahawk head and put a handle on it

steve

Comment

Looks a bit like this one I found on eBay the other day.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	KGrHqRHJFUFIbQU9EBSKg-hFn60_12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	48431

Comment

don't get me wrong, i understand the op may have put many hours of work into this project but to me there's a difference between "home made" and shaped, polished and a handle fitted

steve

Comment

There is one in the background I attempted about a year ago, and I make a lot of knives and axes in my spare time.
            The idea for the shape is from the movie the patriot but from the socket back the design is beyond me.
            The socket i didn't make because that requires to much time and effort.
            The welding essentially is welding, instead of grinding back when done I bash it hot as it leaves a nicer finish, and on the blade I do pad welds to thicken the steel, shape it in ways you can't with a grinder and to eventually temper.
            And I used a railway spike for one end a I don't even know what it was on the other but I got really sharp
            Don't appreciate the accusations either, I've taken the time to share some stuff of mine I'm proud of so why would I lie?
            To the other guys they actually make great throwing axes, camping trip in the rain leads to boredom, two days of boredom leads to being REALLY good at throwing an axe into a tree haha, and thank you for you're comments
            Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Beau-Jackson" post=36170
              There is one in the background I attempted about a year ago, and I make a lot of knives and axes in my spare time.
              The idea for the shape is from the movie the patriot but from the socket back the design is beyond me.
              The socket i didn't make because that requires to much time and effort.
              The welding essentially is welding, instead of grinding back when done I bash it hot as it leaves a nicer finish, and on the blade I do pad welds to thicken the steel, shape it in ways you can't with a grinder and to eventually temper.
              And I used a railway spike for one end a I don't even know what it was on the other but I got really sharp
              Don't appreciate the accusations either, I've taken the time to share some stuff of mine I'm proud of so why would I lie?
              To the other guys they actually make great throwing axes, camping trip in the rain leads to boredom, two days of boredom leads to being REALLY good at throwing an axe into a tree haha, and thank you for you're comments
              i simply asked for you to explain your work, piercing or hot slitting the pole eye on a home forged hammer or axe head is not a simple process so lets be honest here and explain your process

here's a vid that shows part of whats required, this guy has a good series on making a tomahawk from scratch out of a railway spike, not something you could do with a welder in 2 days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44XmI-QgqXM

sorry if i ask too many questions but i've been working with steel longer than a lot of members here have been alive and i believe your opening post over simplified a process

i have an interest in knife making and i'd love to see some other pics of some of your work

steve

So your using an arc welder to heat the metal and add metal to the axe head? Wow I bet that takes ages to get it worked! I built a simple forge/firepit from a truck brakedrum powered by a hair dryer and wood and I've forge welded steel in to make a tomahawk out of a leaf spring. Pretty simple to make and it'll be way way easier/cheaper than using an arc welder! Those old pipe axes like the one from the patriot were often forged out of old rifle barrels and leaving the intact rifle barrel as the tobacco holder and forge the rest from one piece.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Rifle barrels?! The more you know!
              Yeah iv actually got an old pot belly, bout 3 feet tall and 1 and a half diameter, and the steel is an inch thick, weighs 65kg, and well made, would be perfect but I'm yet to rig up a chimney so it would just flood my area in smoke.
              And yeah it's a time consuming thing but I enjoy it and it gives me something to do, gets abit sweaty after a few hours though
          Working...
          X