Kitchen knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen knives

I bought one of these which I think is pretty good its a Mac Damascus steel Japan 20cm and the sharpest knife I have bought shaves hair on the arm easily lol.

Perfect for carving your $40 eye fillet at the dinner table

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea my fav steak is rib eye on the bone grass fed. I like Wagyu but only some times if you have Wagyu to much you get a bit sick of it it so rich

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=34854
      No good for me, looks too tall for the dishwasher

Steve
      She may not notice?

They definitely make good knives in Japan....might be the samurai history....I like Global.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Its definitely the Samurai history the whole society was formed around them with a leading Shogun being the leader of the district of whatever. And the same pride in the making of the swords trickles down to the knives in some respect I guess all be it these knives are commercial nothing special but still good.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=34855
      They definitely make good knives in Japan....might be the samurai history....I like Global.
      Same, i love my globals they make a HUGE difference especially when cutting pumpkin.

here are my kitchen knives with the exception of the shun santoku ( I have no idea where it is) the maple magnetic block was a nice gift from mum.
    excuse the bad photos please.

and my steels 1 is an old F.Dick which also belonged to my grandfather, 1 is un named from Solingen, and the 3rd is a wustohf ceramic which I only use to touch up the global one for my wife (that's the only one shes allowed to use, because I don't like it)

my stones are in the garage and don't really rate photographing but I use a 3 sided oil stone in 200/400/800 grits if I really need to and I use a 3000/6000 grit japanese whet stone.

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice. I like the idea of the magnet behind timber (if i'm seeing it right), i really don't like those magnet strips you see everywhere; always feel like the edge is getting damaged as it goes on off the strip. Might pinch that idea of a magnet set into timber, though!

I use a 2 sided Arkansas (something like 200/400) to establish my edge, then 800 & 1200 wet stones. Next on the list are 2 ultra fine grits, probably 4000/6000. I think that's more than polished enough for my purposes. Even the 1200 gets things very sharp and extremely fine, my planes and chisels come out more than serviceable with them.

I love VG10 kitchen knives. VG10 is a workhorse steel when forged in its paternal japanese style. Very easy to put and maintain a worthy edge on. Its anti corrosive properties are a godsend when you work in kitchens north of the Tropic of Capricorn.

In my old job, I would gift a retiring two year employee a Shun Premier, usually a Santoku ( I f*cking hate santoku's, they serve no purpose at all. To small, and too big at teh same time, too long and not long enough too). They were good value ($120), took a fantastic edge, were durable enough for commercial use, and the 'east west' design forced the user to adopt the proper grip and method. Once achieved, they would realise how crap the Santoku design was and go back to a proper sized 240mm/270mm western chefs knife or fork out for a gyuto for their workhorse. The amateur sharpener could work the Shun steel without all the expensive waterstones, but they would bring it back to me every six months for a proper grind, so it was a nice way of keeping in touch too.
    VG10 is a wonderful stainless. I even prefer it over many of the stainless clad Hitachi steels for corrosion resistance.
    Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

• gong_guy
      gong_guy commented
      Editing a comment
      my new knife (yeah,like i need another one lol) has a s2 powdered toollsteel core,its unbelivable to sharpen on my waterstones, vg 10 is a pussy in comparrision lol. its also 62 rc C hardness........id love to be able to insert a pic but this forum wont allow it for some reason.
Working...
X