Tomahawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomahawks

Been thinking of getting a tomahawk just cause I can no other reason maybe some light chopping anyone have any experience with one Ive been looking at the cold steel range they seem good for the price

Cheers

They aren't much good for anything other than kindling, used a variety of things recently for cleaning up some logs to make strainers with, the tommy was the most useless thing there! A heavy cane knife (or corn knife) would be handy.

Comment

SOG make an awesome looking tactical style tommohawk, I've been thinking of getting one for when the zombies come.
      Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        In my opinion there are tommy axes and then there are tommy axes...

Most, as Chewie says, are pretty useless. I managed to procure a tommy axe about 15 years ago that has been very useful. It has a long cutting surface; think Canadian style logging axes with narrow sleeve (can't remember tech term) for handle and broad blade. I think the term is BEARDED. Much better design for chopping in and emergency than the standard tommy we usually find around Australian hardware stores.

I just found a pic that shows the blade shape (ignore the back spike). Mind you, this thing is $350. Mine is a good old el-cheapo with similiar shape. Very good for chop chop, not just kindling.

Google buy tomahawk australia. You'll be blown away by the range of wanna be zombie slaying axes available; i was anyway!

I am no expert axeman, but I do know that the edge grind on an axe makes all the difference.

Typical eurpoean and American axe grinds are thin for cutting effectively in softwoods. A suitable grind for Australia is optimised for hardwoods and is a thicker grind with a steeper cutting angle. This makes chips better than the thin grinds and clears the cut area for the next impact.

I've got a few tomahawks and find that the two best ones are an old Fiskars camping axe I bought back in 1990, and an Estwing trimming axe I bought a few years back. The Fiskars axe is ground well from the factory, but the Estwing needed to be re-ground from the thin profile to a thicker wedge.

The current incarnation of the Fiskars is this one.

http://au.fiskars.com/Gardening-Yard-Care/Products/Wood-Branches/Axes/121420-Fiskars-Chopping-Axe-X7

From there you really do step up to a Grunfors Brucks, Wetterlings or Tuatahi and they are surprisingly expensive.

Comment

• several
        several commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by adamjp" post=25734
        I am no expert axeman, but I do know that the edge grind on an axe makes all the difference.

Typical eurpoean and American axe grinds are thin for cutting effectively in softwoods. A suitable grind for Australia is optimised for hardwoods and is a thicker grind with a steeper cutting angle. This makes chips better than the thin grinds and clears the cut area for the next impact.

I've got a few tomahawks and find that the two best ones are an old Fiskars camping axe I bought back in 1990, and an Estwing trimming axe I bought a few years back. The Fiskars axe is ground well from the factory, but the Estwing needed to be re-ground from the thin profile to a thicker wedge.

The current incarnation of the Fiskars is this one.

http://au.fiskars.com/Gardening-Yard-Care/Products/Wood-Branches/Axes/121420-Fiskars-Chopping-Axe-X7

From there you really do step up to a Grunfors Brucks, Wetterlings or Tuatahi and they are surprisingly expensive.
        I had Tuatahi racing axe, I think the guys name who makes em is Ross Hampson. Sadly the face came out of the cutting edge when it hit a knot in the wood, great axes but the racing or speed choping ones are very thin and damage easily.

are you looking for a tomahawk or a hatchet

Comment

Something like this be OK?

http://www.outdoorswarehouse.com.au/products/Recon-Survival-Axe.html

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends what you want it for. That's almost a field butchery cleaver rather than a tommy axe.

Doesn't look like enough forward weight to me, but that's just me being lazy. I want the axe to do the work and not my arms! :P

Anyway... what do you want it for, exactly? Fire wood? Field dressing game? Emergency defence aginst zombies and wild dogs???

This is the type of tomahawk I was looking at Ive ordered one now should have it end of week
        Attached Files

Comment

A bit OT but I'm looking at buying a Fiskars X11 which is their smallest splitting axe to be used when camping and I have to bring in firewood.

Comment

I want one of these

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/kill-devil-sniper-hawk/
            “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

hardcore hardware Australian owned and made

Comment

• Gwion
                Gwion commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by ragonfand" post=25877
                hardcore hardware Australian owned and made
                Yup. Their was the one i tried to post a pic of. Awesome looking tommies, somewhat extreme and very expensive, but they sure look good!

http://www.hardcorehardware.com.au/weapons/lft01.php

hardcore hardware, here's the pics

not a fan of any of them personally, i prefer a tool that will do as many jobs as possible and i don't really care for tactical looks

to me i want a tool that can split kindling, chop small logs or branches and hammer in or straighten tent pegs.......oh wait that's a hatchet. carry on!

steve

Comment

• Gwion
                Gwion commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by 6602steven" post=25942
                to me i want a tool that can split kindling, chop small logs or branches and hammer in or straighten tent pegs.......oh wait that's a hatchet. carry on!

steve
                Steve, I can be pretty confident in saying that Autralians use the word tomahawk for all manner of small hand axes.
                I agree, though. The "tactical" axes are a bit pointless, except for the impending zombie apocalyps! HAHA...
                (actually, the whoile zombie thing is annoying and getting old! Unless it's another good Bgrade movie, like Zombieland!)
            Working...
            X