Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sticking knife

Hey guys,

I normally hunt with rifles, however a mate is a very keen hunter of pigs using dogs and has welcomed me to come along. It's not for me to turn down the offer for any sort of hunt, so I need a knife up to the task.

Quick googling has brought me to the following list:
    Cold Steel OSI/OSS/Boar Hunter (not super keen on secondary guard or shape of boar hunter)
    Cold Steel SRS
    F Dick Sticker (very specialized which suits me fine as I don't need a bush knife, but the blue handle is a bit garish)

These knives are all readily available and have the following features I am adamant on:
    7+ inch blade
    Large guard
    Full tang
    Under $150

The cold steel models all come with strong snap in sheaths which I like. The FDick has a leather sheath which isn't ideal, however could potentially be the better knife.

I am hoping to get some opinions on these knives, as well as suggestions of others that satisfy my above requirements.

Originally posted by aus_Rob91" post=23772
    Hey guys,

I normally hunt with rifles, however a mate is a very keen hunter of pigs using dogs and has welcomed me to come along. It's not for me to turn down the offer for any sort of hunt, so I need a knife up to the task.

Cold Steel OSI/OSS/Boar Hunter (not super keen on secondary guard or shape of boar hunter)
    Cold Steel SRS
    F Dick Sticker (very specialized which suits me fine as I don't need a bush knife, but the blue handle is a bit garish)

These knives are all readily available and have the following features I am adamant on:
    7+ inch blade
    Large guard
    Full tang
    Under $150

The cold steel models all come with strong snap in sheaths which I like. The FDick has a leather sheath which isn't ideal, however could potentially be the better knife.

I am hoping to get some opinions on these knives, as well as suggestions of others that satisfy my above requirements.
    F dick is a classic. A little bit of whipping with a bit of houtchie or para cord on the handle will dull it down.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Oddball" post=23777
      Hey guys,

Cold Steel SRS

7+ inch blade
      Large guard
      Full tang
      Under $150

F dick is a classic. A little bit of whipping with a bit of houtchie or para cord on the handle will dull it down.

Thanks,

Oddball
      Thanks mate!
      Will have to talk to you about this dog hunting, should be interesting. Might end up turning into a yobbo though. Will have to buy a Patrol, drink VB and wear UNIT t shirts to fit in!!!

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      If you put paracord on it you would hae to take it off and wash it every time you go pigging. It would be a pain to keep cleen.

Ive found the best pigging knives for the money are muela, fdick or buffalo river.

Hey guys,

Cold Steel SRS

7+ inch blade
    Large guard
    Full tang
    Under $150

Check out my cold steel marauder (its further down in Blades and Edgware) I reckon it would do a damn fine job on a pig!

Cost $110 with shipping

Comment

i have an fdick and probably stuck 20 pigs with it last trip and its great

alot of people i know including pros use them

i personally love fancy wood and things like that and the bright blue plastic handle was offputting but its just a stabbing knife and at the end of the day the thing will be covered in blood. plus blue is easier to find if it gets dropped

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Anthonyv" post=26419
        i have an fdick and probably stuck 20 pigs with it last trip and its great

alot of people i know including pros use them

i personally love fancy wood and things like that and the bright blue plastic handle was offputting but its just a stabbing knife and at the end of the day the thing will be covered in blood. plus blue is easier to find if it gets dropped
        Yes I can definitely see how it will serve the purpose.

just my 2c worth, having owned, abused and since made my own knives i have to say that Muela knives are great value for the money. 440C steel and well heat treated. the tang is full under the rubberised handle (sticks well in the hand even when submerged, i have tested the grip many times) they are well made for the money and will last well.

my brother has a buffalo river pig sticker and while i dont like the steel as much as the Muela (havent looked into what it is, most likely 440A) is was almost half the price at $65 (Mulea $95) but i still prefer the rubberised handle rather than the pinned timber of the buffalo river. you could always take a file to the timber and "scarf" it up for extra grip when things get slippery.

all the best on the hunt

Chris
      savage MKII FSS .22 boyds laminate stock leupold VX1 3-9X40
      howa 1500 .243 varmint bedded in boyds thumbhole stock leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 DNZmount
      howa 1500 .223 varmint in the "franken stock" shortened barrel (19") pecar 8X56 DNZmount
      gammo shadow 1000 .177
      akkar churchill 30" O/U 12G extractors

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by bayonet" post=26516
        just my 2c worth, having owned, abused and since made my own knives i have to say that Muela knives are great value for the money. 440C steel and well heat treated. the tang is full under the rubberised handle (sticks well in the hand even when submerged, i have tested the grip many times) they are well made for the money and will last well.

my brother has a buffalo river pig sticker and while i dont like the steel as much as the Muela (havent looked into what it is, most likely 440A) is was almost half the price at $65 (Mulea $95) but i still prefer the rubberised handle rather than the pinned timber of the buffalo river. you could always take a file to the timber and "scarf" it up for extra grip when things get slippery.

all the best on the hunt

Chris
        Thanks mate. I currently have a Muela, but the blade shape isn't ideal. I will check other model Muela out as well.

Hve you looked at the selection frome Razor Blades? I don't know much about then i have on thats been out of tge box maybe once when i fiest got it. Nice thick blade (around 4mm i think) really nice rubberised handle (gives a fantastic grip).... Cant speak for tge edge or how well it keeps one because
      mines still as dull as whwn it left the factory... Just throwing another option to ya.

Comment

• bayonet
        bayonet commented
        Editing a comment
        if it comes dull from the factory then i would be having doubts about the quality of the knife. any quality knife should come properly sharpened from the factory.
    Working...
    X