Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Spyderco folders...

Will make it through customs?

I've heard the Delica's will so is it safe to assume 3" blade and less? Assuming no automatic or assisted types.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

I had a Spyderco Ambitious taken by customs around this time last year. I did not think any were being let through because they were one handed opening.

Comment

hmm, might have to email customs
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Let us know what customs reply is, I'm curious too.

There's no point emailing customs. They don't have a list of what's allowed and what isn't. Rather they are completely arbitrary with what they let in. It's really annoying because they are perfectly legal to possess and carry (if you have a good reason) yet they may or may not be legal to import. You are much better off to buy a knife that is already in the country. But if you want to import it yourself then spyderco delica is a good bet. Great knives - I have several.
      This is the kind of federal issue that I hope David Leyonhjelm might be able to help us with.

You'll find a lot more info here...
      http://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb4/forumdisplay.php?93-Spyderco-Knife-Discussion&s=db420036ce06645186d5e1c63b5ff979

Comment

Depends on who inspects it, some are applying the flick test. As in you can flick open an endura but its nigh impossible to flick open a delica. Others are seizing anything that doesn't require two hands to get open. I know of at least three people who imported delicas that were inspected then allowed through and another person who had their delica seized. Its the confusing wording of the legislation. They were trying to stop things like flippers and assisted openers and some at customs have interpreted it to mean anything other than grandpas slip joint. Cutting edge knives has delicas in stock in Australia. But expect to pay about $40 more plus shipping than what you could get from America if you're willing to risk losing it.

Comment

Cheers guys, will wait and see what customs send back but I'm not expecting much of a reply.

Comment

Well I had a military nicked by customs. Luckily they let the first one through so I'm not totally out of pocket.

Comment

• TC
              TC commented
              Editing a comment
              Buy local..... no risk then.

Places like urban conquest can get whatever is able to be imported.
              (no affiliation)

I keep pretty much all Spyderco models on the shelf that Customs will allow me to import, if it's out of stock, it's usually only a week away, I only get a few at a time because you just never know when they will change their minds about a model, even colour variants of the same knife can be judged differently due to "manufacturing tolerance differences"
            Before anyone asks about Paramilitary 2's I'll be getting some just as soon as Spyderco can supply .

Comment

• Morgo
              Morgo commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Urban Conquest" post=23254
              I keep pretty much all Spyderco models on the shelf that Customs will allow me to import, if it's out of stock, it's usually only a week away, I only get a few at a time because you just never know when they will change their minds about a model, even colour variants of the same knife can be judged differently due to "manufacturing tolerance differences"
              Before anyone asks about Paramilitary 2's I'll be getting some just as soon as Spyderco can supply .
              Which Spydercos have you found customs will allow? I'd be keen on one or two of those Paramilitary 2's

Thanks for that, this is what I mean about them changing their minds.

Morgo, take a look on my store front, just do a search for Spyderco, there are some smaller ones that are allowed that I haven't gotten in but then no one asked for them either.

It all comes down to whether the spring tension holding the blade shut is stronger than the weight of the blade under the centrifugal force of a Customs officer doing the "drop flick" with it.

http://www.urbanconquest.com.au/store/index.php?search[keywords]=spyderco&_a=category

Comment

Cheers UC, will check it out

Comment

Anyone know if non sharpened clip point knives will have issues with customs?

Comment

I got my Spydie Rescue through. I think with it's pretty blue handle, it is less threatening lol

Comment

Probably because its not black therefore is not as evil and dangerous :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by Morgo" post=24586
                      Probably because its not black therefore is not as evil and dangerous :lol:
                      Maybe contact Spyderco and ask them to introduce a line of knives for Aus and the UK? They can all be painted baby blue and light pink?

Looking back at this thread I've picked up a few folders in the past 7 months

Comment

• RockSolid
                      RockSolid commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by Morgo" post=101204
                      Looking back at this thread I've picked up a few folders in the past 7 months
                      Nice!
                      What ones?

I'm still waiting for the mythical Aus legal PM2s, not holding my breath though...
                  Working...
                  X