Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recomend me a fixed blade 'Go to Knife'

Hey everyone,
    I would like to get a fixed blade 'go to knife'.
    What would you recommend as a general good quality knife for camping, and every day farm chores?

My budget is up to $100. I don't want to spend to much or i wouldn't use it.

Please post your recommendation and optional explanation.

Cheers
    Dan

Have you got a condensed list of its actual intended use?
    If it's for a 'survival in bush' type situation it's good to take into account you can't always sharpen your favorite serrated D2 ka-bar whilst out field.
    I used to have a knife for fishing, pocket, glove box, stash bag, range bag.... In the end I have most away or put in camping kits as I used one for all and all for one
    Gerber gator was really good, not cheap n nasty but still a very good utility knife and it wasn't 'precious' enough to make me cringe when carving up bean tins to make wood gas burners. I have a evil black folder from anaconda that I've been trying to feck up for at least 7 years now and it's still fine, it's funny how much you can get for $20!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a fixed blade benchmade griptilian (doug ritter version) - it does just about everything and it comes in S30V (a supersteel) - the blade isnt too thick either so its a good slicer and easy to use - you'd use it in the kitchen a lot if it was there I'd say - slicing meat, tomatoes, chopping vegies, eating an apple, cutting a cake, slicing bread, spreading butter, gutting a fish, cutting up a roast to serve... the kitchen/ home test is my test of whether a knife would be usable in the field! I dont abuse it by trying to hack through bone, pry things open etc.. its a knife that I only use for cutting things (its not a 'sharpened prybar' type knife)

my mate uses a benchmade bone collector (i think its called) - it has a gut hook for skinning/ gutting which is pretty handy (his is in D2 but its a bit of a pain to sharpen once it goes blunt - it doesnt get blunt very often though) - its more of a dedicated skinning knife though

for sharpening in the field I use a benchmade mini carbide sharpener (because it keeps the angles of the blade the same) - just run the blade over 2-3 times and its good enough to shave at least 30% of the hairs off your leg in a single pass

2 Finger Knife. Love em, good steel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02014.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	34660
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Need more information on what you want to use the knife for before I can make a recommendation... when you say go to, do you mean literally everything round the house/property/job?

Check out the Fallkniven F1. They are a high end European knife maker use a laminated VG10 steel (very rust resistant and holds a good edge without chipping for a stainless). They have a very good sheath, both the leather option and the kydex option are very good. The handle is full tang construction and very grippy and chemical resistant and has a pounding pommel on the end and a lanyard hole. The knife is a perfect size and weight for utility tasks. The F1 cost about $130 (ebay price).

Comment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/171050005347?lpid=87

Sounds like it will meet your requirements, comes well within budget and does what it says on the packet

Flame Suit On :P
      "For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        As others have said, a knife for what, exactly.

As a general purpose knife for camping/farm work i think you need three things:
        1/ as sturdy blade with a clip point
        2/ a decent steel that is easy to sharpen but hold it's edge well too.
        3/ comfort and balance

My best advice is go look at some knives, pick 'em up and feel the balance. If it doesn't feel comfy in your hand you wont get the best use out of it.

Gerber, Benchmade, Buck (to name just a few) make good reliable knives in that price range.

To be honest, i have quite a few knives. Usually take three or four different knives camping; usually it's the folding knife that gets the biggest work out. For work, multi-tool is the go, i would use it almost daily and many times. My knives would range in price from $50 to about $400 (but that's a top end chef knife)

• kram
        kram commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Druid 66" post=19639
        http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/171050005347?lpid=87

Sounds like it will meet your requirements, comes well within budget and does what it says on the packet

Flame Suit On :P
        My kids got me one of these for fathers day and it's a beauty. So far its chopped branches ,hacked through briskets,been used as a cleaver with a block of wood to cut lamb chops, as a chisel,a skinner many times,slices tomatoes,has a hard hammer style tang for smashing stuff or hammering it into stuff,comes with a flint for lighting fires that works,an emergency/fox/dog whisle, and a diamond steel/sharpening plate underneath the very cool clip in sheath. Damn good bit of kit.

Yep I agree with Skip - butchers knives are good, don't cost a fortune and do a great job. Some people spend a fortune on knives when it really isn't necessary, so long as your knife holds a good edge like butchers knives do why waste money.
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Just make sure those butcher knives DON'T have a rounded edge like kitchen knives. Kitchen knives and any food preparation knife with a rounded or "safety" edge is a waste of time, they can never get as sharp or retain their edge as long as a knife with a beveled edge.

For $155 you can get a fallkniven F1z from adventure friends in cairns on eBay

A but over your budget but well worth it

My main concern about butchers knives for hunting is their lack if a substantial sheath. Knowing my luck I'd trip and fall on my pack and stick myself

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Dan" post=19563
        Hey everyone,
        I would like to get a fixed blade 'go to knife'.
        What would you recommend as a general good quality knife for camping, and every day farm chores?

My budget is up to $100. I don't want to spend to much or i wouldn't use it.

Please post your recommendation and optional explanation.

Cheers
        Dan
        Butcher knives, skinning knives, boning knives are great for hunting/field dressing, etc, but i don't think they fit the OP recommendation parameters.

A cheap, stout bladed knife that fit his hand and feels balanced to him is all he needs, and the know how and gear (basic stone and steel would do) to sharpen it when required.

Knives (like guns, fishing rods and boats) come in all sorts of sizes shapes styles and materials for different purposes. I have quite a number of knives but in the end i get most use out of my 15y/o BenchMade Balisong Folder for general duties. It's stout, got good steel, takes an edge and holds it and is comfortable to use.

Cheers.

edit: I know "balisong", commonly known as 'butterfly knife", are illegal in many if not all states. The Benchmade is not actually a balisong, this is just the name of the model. Cheers.
        List to tick off:
        - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
        - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
        - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
        - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
        - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
        - Comp dies for 7mm-08
        - Case annealer
        - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

• Druid 66
          Druid66 commented
          Editing a comment
          Zombie Apocalypses aside and to be honest my favorite EDC over the last 30 years has been the trusty old Swiss Army Knife

In fact I don`t tend to leave home without it - Mines the old `Hunter` model with a locking blade but if you go here you can pretty much design your own specs

http://www.victorinox.com/ch/content/toolfinder/category/1

I also use a Butchers Meat Cleaver around the Camp at times, good for knocking of the feet etc and doing other cuts but bloody handy for cutting down small trees etc.

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Varminator" post=19739
          I also use a Butchers Meat Cleaver around the Camp at times, good for knocking of the feet etc and doing other cuts but bloody handy for cutting down small trees etc.
          Hehe... broad bladed tommy axe does that for me

I like that link to the Swiss Army Knife sight... just designed my very own Super Swiss, it screws, it fastens, it cuts, it saws. It opens your beans, opens your beer, opens your wine. It can remove small splinters in a single grab. It's SuperSwiss!!!

Oh my, i need to take a break from this forum!!!

Cheers
          Gwion

i reckon the Ontario or ESSE rat 5 is a good go to knife.
        they are thick and not too hard so you can hack and pry if need be, they come with a pretty good sheath and a re made of 1095, which aint a super stainless steel but its been serving its purpose for many years

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by bottleinspector" post=19776
          i reckon the Ontario or ESSE rat 5 is a good go to knife.
          they are thick and not too hard so you can hack and pry if need be, they come with a pretty good sheath and a re made of 1095, which aint a super stainless steel but its been serving its purpose for many years
          Yup. Spring steel knives take a little care and maintenance (carbon content) but are very durable and hold a good edge. I have a spring steel knife that was hand made in Europe during WWII from the spring of captured German tank. Great bush knife. Keep it lightly oiled and wipe clean after use.

Cheers.

I bought this Esse 4 to be my new go to knife.

The 4" blade is about the right size for what I want, plus the 1095 carbon steel should sharpen and hold an edge well.
        Esee have a life time warranty on their knives as well.

Cost less than $100 but with postage probably around $120-$130.
        “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          oops... it double posted for some reason. loading lag i think and an itchy "clicker finger"

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Morgo" post=19859
          I bought this Esse 4 to be my new go to knife.

The 4" blade is about the right size for what I want, plus the 1095 carbon steel should sharpen and hold an edge well.
          Esee have a life time warranty on their knives as well.

Cost less than $100 but with postage probably around $120-$130.
          Nice, Morgo, but what happens when you scratch up the pretty black bits???

(joke)

Seriously though. Looks like a good robust knife and a useful profile.

this is why you buy a fallkniven F1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC04GFsaPpE

steve

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by 6602steven" post=19882
          this is why you buy a fallkniven F1

steve
          Ha! Love his Japanese accent. Really into his knives!

The Falkniven has very sold tang!
          The SOG looks good too.

He doesn't like the Buck tang, but for a skinning knife you don't need a heavy tang as they are primarily for penitrating strength (heavy tangs).

Cheers

Esee 4 or any in the esee line.

Comment

A lot of these knives look cheap and nasty to my mind, where are they made? I can't say I'd buy any of the ones I've seen so far.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Nothing cheap about the old Esee's mate. Tough as nails.

• Morgo
            Morgo commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Varminator" post=20010
            A lot of these knives look cheap and nasty to my mind, where are they made? I can't say I'd buy any of the ones I've seen so far.
            Esee are made in the US. Pretty hard to bet for the $$$.

Thanks fellas - I wouldn't buy one myself, not what I look for in knives. My choice of knives is more the Skinning/Boning type knives and the trusty meat cleaver as they are what I use when hunting.

Each to their own of course - enjoy.

Comment

Working...
          X