Buchering knives opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buchering knives opinions please

It's about time I got a proper set of plain butchering knives instead of using my buck 119 for everything. I'm looking at Tramontina, Vitorinox and Swibo but I'm leaning towards a set of Tramontina skinning, fillet and steel because of the price of $70 in a wrap where as all the others are alot more than that. I'm not doing day in day out butchering I just want I nice enough set for when I need it and something that will hold an edge.
    Cheers for any info fellas.

i used to use victorinox, but started using victory a while ago(NZ made) and they are just as good.
    but recently i bought some from mitchells engineering, mefe.com.au they are real chea, and are great knives, thet just dont come with as good of an edge from factory as some others, but check them out, the prices are dirt cheap

Comment

• Comanche
      Comanche commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a couple of boning knives from mefe for $5ea hopefully they are good as they are a third of the price of the local mobs.

I use 5" swibo s for everything from dressing all the way to de boning.

5" boning knifes from MBL I buy by the box as I use them in a year.

Most blokes prob won't ever wear a knife out.

I use to use F dicks and victory but when i stuffed my hand ( I had to re teach myself a new comfy way of using a knife ) swibos felt better in the hand after the injury.

http://youtu.be/NH1Yc5BeEqA

Comment

I got a mix of swibo and fdick, a boner and skinner will get you by on the cheap, eBay have had a few going recently under $30 delivered. MBL is good too if your local.

Comment

Cheers for the info fellas I've got a few more brands to look at now. Dunno if that makes it easier or harder to make a decision!

Comment

I have always used Green River. They will take and hold an edge, and they seem to last.

Then again, I found a long bladed Swibo washed up on the beach about 15 years ago and it still makes rumps into steaks very well too.

I dont think you can go wrong with a name brand.

Comment

I use Havalon out in the bush for initial processing. At home it's Global knives to finish the job....expensive but the best quality Japanese steel. They know how to make knives.
            I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=15984
              I use Havalon out in the bush for initial processing. At home it's Global knives to finish the job....expensive but the best quality Japanese steel. They know how to make knives.
              This is butchering not fancy sashimi work :P

i find global knives terrible, the santoku i have wont hold an edge real good at all.....definatley not a sashimi knife. (unless mine is a dud and missed a step in the heat treating process)
            i use a wustohf knives for general duties at home and shun knives for sushi/sashimi etc.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160868267915?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have a victorinox boning knife I'm happy with, cost me $20 from my butcher

steve

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Another one who just buys swibo in bulk, they do the job, hold an edge and easy to clean and the price is right.

Just thought I'd do a quick update I've used the MEFE knives out in the field and they are great! Hold an edge for quite awhile even when cutting through breast bones on roo's and when it needs a tickle up on the steel it is very easy to get them razor sharp again. The steel itself seems to be of quite high quality aswell. Very impressed for a cheap set of knives

Comment

Working...
              X