Learnt something in FClass today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learnt something in FClass today

So, f class is fairly new to me and have been consistently shooting scores around 56-57. Today was no different until I had a shot of a mates rifle. Put 15 shots through it and only dropped two shots (the first 10 was a 59.6) on a very windy trying day. While it makes me happy that I now know what the weak link is between my rifle and I, it now means back to the drawing board to get more accuracy out of my rifle. Hopefully will be able to do this as I have only been using fresh brass in my reloads but now have a heap of once fired brass to hopefully tweak out a really good load. So get ready peeps. I will soon be asking a lot of questions about neck tension!!!!

It was a great opportunity though to see what does happen when you are able to shoot a more accurate rifle than your own.

That's good work. Wish I could do that. It's always nice to shoot another bit of gear and do well. So what's the plan? Or is it hush-hush, apart from the neck tension factor?

Comment

Go back to a ladder test I guess and go from there. Pressure is on though. Have to get it sorted for the prize shoot this coming weekend!!! Either that or just go and swap rifles with my mate. He'll never know!!!

Comment

Ah, yes, there's a few sheep stations up for grabs, so I hear. Even the closest distances are twice as far as I would normally shoot. Good luck on the day.

Can I ask a dopey question? Do you do your ladder test 400-500m? Just curious.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          500m minimum. Generally 600m

In fact. Maybe I should do an "on the road to coona thread" step by step of hopefully getting a better load. That way people can tell me exactly how wrong I am in what I'm doing!!! Then hopefully tell me what I should be doing!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Sneeky253" post=3144
          That way people can tell me exactly how wrong I am in what I'm doing!!!
          Always plenty of people to tell you what you're doing wrong, no need to send up a flare to attract them. Having said that, and not one to shoot those distances with that sort of equipment, maybe it's an opportunity for those who have something to say to say it and contribute, or forever hold their peace. For me, it would provide an insight into a particular methodology that I'm ignorant of. I'll keep an eye out for your new thread.

gday Pete,

What's your rifle and cal of choice for the f class?

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by butta9999" post=18324
          gday Pete,

What's your rifle and cal of choice for the f class?
          Hmmmmm....interesting question. Obviously this is coming from a real newbie when it comes to F Class. The cal part is easy for me. A 308 for sure. I say this as I only shoot F Class std which limits you to a 308 or 223. I like mucking around at ridiculous ranges (I was shooting my 308 at 1650y the other day with success!), so the extra bang to a 308 makes it an easy choice for me. If I was to Shoot F Open, then who knows, there are a lot of better cals out there than the good old 308. The main reason I shoot F Std is because next to no one out here shoots F open which makes comp shooting a bit ridiculous.

The rifle part is the hard one. The Savage I have is a great starting point I feel and with no work it shoots well enough to shoot 55-57's which really isn't to shabby. The best part is that it was relatively cheap, cost me $1600. I think with a bedding job and more load development I can get it shooting pretty darn well. Because of its cost I think its great to use to get familiar with the sport and get a lot of trigger time. If I was going to build one and had plenty of cash laying around I would probably go with something like a BAT action, McMillan F Class stock and a 30in Krieger, trueflite or similar barrel. I think I have found a scope I like, I had a good look at the new Nightforce Competition scope not long ago and it looks good. I ordered one and it actually arrived yesterday so i'll hopefully get a chance to go and pick it up tomorrow. Under the scope i'll have a 20moa rail, might even change that to a 30moa rail, ill see how it goes.

That's my rather uneducated opinion. Ask me the same question in 12 months and i'll probably have a different answer!!!

I learn some thing every day .
        My Method is to practice (30 nice range with out introducing to many variables at around the 500 /600 yd mark is good to refine your techniques and your rifle to its best ability --then start reloading - -to refine things even further -- having done all that then go and get a nice custom job made for a few G`s --put good glass on it and realize just how much you have been missing out on (won`t happen I can be assured of that ) -- All this precludes your having won the dam lottery and having time to do all this as well.
        I got as far as about to do some reloading and even that won`t be conclusive with out extensive testing and more testing -- but at least by now I will have an elementary understanding of reading Wind and Mirage to call on.
        One day I might shoot a possible or two If I live long enough to do it -- high 50`s are feel good scores -- 60 with ?????? X`s are better feeling good scores.
        I do cheat and shoot off a bench as laying in the prickles and dirt is not on when yer backs buggered -- don`t mind the prickles and dirt but getting up again is a problem and dragging a bloke off the mound and replacing him with the next shooter is embarrassing and rude as well.
        Such is life on small drought stricken country ranges.
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

At 500 and 1000 yards the bulls are 260 mm and 510 mm, respectively.

Comment

Working...
          X