wind meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wind meters

I'm thinking of getting myself a wind meter, to assist in my varmint and long range recreational shooting.
    anyone here use them?
    if so what's an ideal budget (but reliable) one that will do the job?

I use a Kestral 3500. It does everything I need it to.

Comment

Through experience of firing many shots I have found that the most reliable wind meter is a bullet
      Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Comment

• S12A
          S12A commented
          Editing a comment
          i use a kesteral but i mostly use it for density altitude.

do yourslef a favour and buy a kesteral. i have tried many other types and they all give false wind readings (some need up to 8-10 kph to even spin)

it can help knowing the wind at your position for taking shots on and mostly off the square range comfort zone, along with the wind at your target and other effects throughout the bullets path.

saying you dont NEED a kesteral for practical long range shooting is true, but it makes it easier.

Originally posted by Send-it" post=35132
        I'm thinking of getting myself a wind meter, to assist in my varmint and long range recreational shooting.
        anyone here use them?
        if so what's an ideal budget (but reliable) one that will do the job?
        I use a fleabay $11 one. Done what I need it to do. I have other gizmos to do the rest of the work I need to get that first round hit

Each to there own.

Just remember don't matter what the wind reader says at your pos. as the wind can go any wich way and speed, down range.

It's a start though...but looking through the scope and reading what the wind is doing is a tough one to master. One I am still trying to do 4 years and counting.

You should come away from every shot with a new lesson learned.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=35160
          You should come away from every shot with a new lesson learned.
          True that.
          Trouble is that lesson is all to often not a new one :lol: - how to get your Ass kicked by mother nature!

Mirage is definately the most reliable sign if you can see it.
          I was trying to use the Flags on the range when I still had that 3-9x scope on my 308 because I couldn't see mirage with the low mag.
          It got me into a bad habbit, where now that I can see mirage, I tend to ignore it & still use the flags.
          The trouble is that the flags are well above the flight path of the bullet on a full bore range & while the flags might be going R to L, the mirage down at the bullet's level is going L to R.
          Does my head in every time. I see the flags going right but my shot goes left.

Long Cross gully shots...........................I think there is not much you can do about the wind there other than to expect an updraft in the mornings when the sun is warming things up & a down gully draft in the evening when things are cooling down.
          The only other option (one that I have been using) is to just try & shoot gongs on that property as often as possible to get a feel for what goes on in that particular area.

A Kestrel.............yeah, I would like one but I don't see it as being the answer.

Originally posted by chewtah" post=35312
          The owner was there too, knows a lot he does, in fact, he's outstanding in his field!
          Stop it, Ya killing me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Mick.

A bloke who does electronics for a living and installs all sort of remote solar stuff across the Nullabour once told me how to build a simple wind measuring meter.
        You will need one of those small electric fans like cars used to have on the dash / A volt meter /and an old 12 volt battery.
        Once you hook it up through a diode /rectifier i guess when the wind turns the fan its actually a generator.
        From then on different wind speeds will read different voltages and you use it as the guide.
        May be it could even be wireless connected back to a phone today but I am sure a `lectronics bloke could build it easy enough.
        You may need to turn the fan blades over to get a true reading as your measuring wind force against it not from it so the pressure side of the blade curve would need to match the wind direction.
        If you don`t do that you would get a false reading from the obstruction of the motor being in the wind stream.
        I got all this knowledge and experience from this bloke when we were installing wind generators in Vineyards for frost control.
        May be just buy one is easier but its good to invent things for yourself :lol: .
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

I just lick my finger and don't shoot over 100 yards.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

FWIW I think a high powered spotting scope and focus at varying ranges between you and your target will read mirage at each distance you focus and that`s more reliable than wind indicators.
            A few old big bore blokes don`t focus on the target but a couple of hundred yards short of it as once its at the target if you read it wrong its too late.
            You need to know whats at around 3/4 range to get good results .
            Old buggers there the ones to beat --- and get you out almost every time too damit,
            [center]
            Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Learn to read mirage and learn to read tall grass and tree branches, anything that the wind moves. The smaller the cal and longer distance the more vital it is to be able to read the wind. With my 308 i start reading wind from 300yards and beyond depending on wind, at 5mph and higher i use holdover.

thank you all.
            half the reason i want one is because with varminting, you don't get that opportunity to fire a bullet down range without scaring the game away.
            sometimes there's only a couple of targets available per warren etc.
            just looking to help the 1st round 'hits' on some of the longer varmint shots.
            my average is fairly good, no harm in trying to increase it where i can.
            I got all me load and wind drift stuff, but determining a 10kph or a 15kph wind on shots over 350 yards can often make a difference, considering my
            main varmint pill is a 50gr at speed.
            currently planning on another build such as a heavy weight varmint/target thingy to be better for this.
            yeah i know there are other variables,.i'm not worried about them too much.
            i might check some of those mentioned ones out a bit more.
            cheers.

Comment

[color=#000088]Being the devils advocate here an an expert by no means not even in my wildest dreams but.
              On a range in relativly flat country the butts are just a whopping great pile off sand pushed up with a dozer years ago and a bit of a natural sand hill as well .
              Now fishtail head wind coming front on rise over that little hill and there`s a few trees behind it just to confuse the issue.
              If when marking targets you watch those butt flags you ca often pick the shot before it happens by them flags.
              The but stop hill creates a low pressure on the shooters side at around 200 meters before the target and if the left flag is going right and the right one left the shot will be center , but the mirage is back down range about 300 meters and that telling another story altogether.
              The best counter measure I have found to date is Long for caliber projectiles and drive them hard./color]
              [center]

Comment

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM1644

^ Is what I use, does the job, rarely gets used though as most paper punching I do is at 100 or 200m testing hand loads or steel targets. Obviously you have to keep turning it into the wind to measure the speed then apply the direction based adjustments. One with an auto rotating wind vane would be useful if using it heavily.

Comment

• Snag
                  Snag commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm often shooting at steel a long way off. (I lie... nowehere near often enough).

I use a Kestrel 4500 with the portable vane mount.

So I have 4 M/S in X dirction here and the foliage and grass is moving like so. What's the foliage and grass doing along the way to the target?
                  It's then an educated guess: plus or minus X% for the total flight.

And do spend the bucks on a Kestrel. I had a Caldwell and it was quite accurate, except it had a battery drain problem so it was not working when I wanted it.

If I'm shooting across flat ground then mirage can also help.
              Working...
              X